Author: longzhou

Google backpedals to "stay alive"...... [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2010-7-1 16:57:42 |Display all floors
Originally posted by IchiNiSan at 2010-7-1 14:49

Liability and indispensable is a big word to call not using a certain commercial service from a supposed private company when there are plenty of other similar services out there in the  ...

I think the problem lies precisely that there are effectively no alternatives for computer/tech savy people. For people doing an occasional search Yahoo, Bing, Baidu and all the others will do. But nobody so far can compete with Google for a truly integrated service provider on such a scale. Just take Google Android, the most important Mobile OS in China, you use Google maps, google pictures, Gmail calender & mail, search function via Google etc. It's very difficult to not use Google if you expect a certain integration of services.
Not to mention Streetview with geolocalised pictures etc. I know Smartphones shouldn't have Wifi in China.. but how much longer can it afford this technological backwardness I ask ? I sound like a Google fanboy but I'm not, I just accept that currently it has no competitors.

And yes, of course you can lead a happy life without the latest technology, but to be truly globally competitive you need reliable, fast and integrated online services which so far only Google offers. Again I'm not talking about people who occasionally do a search, check their email daily and go the same forum/newspapers everyday, but if you want to order subscription medicine over the internet, which one do you use, Baidu or Google ?

[ Last edited by in_ningbo at 2010-7-1 05:01 PM ]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-7-1 20:29:43 |Display all floors
Originally posted by in_ningbo at 2010-7-1 16:57
I think the problem lies precisely that there are effectively no alternatives for computer/tech savy people. For people doing an occasional search Yahoo, Bing, Baidu and all the others will do. ...

So how did you conclude that Android is the most important Mobile OS in China? Any sources you can share with us?

It still comes back to personal taste and needs. To call it indispensable is merely your personal taste. For example, to me, a guy way too often on the travel, at this moment i favor my Blackberry, from emailing to chatting, from browsing to posting in forums, send that product defective picture immediately to my customer etc etc etc. And most importantly the continuous connection to my main contacts, customized group with shared calenders, tasklists and agenda etc etc etc etc.
However, another friend, also too often on the travel, would claim his Nokia E72 with the Microsoft exchange fits his taste and needs much more. And we are talking about the latest technology too.

Ps. as for that ordering of subscription medicine, I guess I will check out Yahoo or Bing

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-7-2 12:20:10 |Display all floors
I think it would be fair to call it indepensible.  Google has the best market research in the world.  Google Trends and Google Insight for Search are indepensible tools for entrepreneurs.  There is more they provide, as well.  If you are getting general trend data from another source, you are second tier.  

If you expect to be the best, using the best data is indepensible.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-7-2 14:53:58 |Display all floors
anyone else care to promote another Google commercial product and share with us what you like and prefer?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-7-2 18:37:04 |Display all floors
Again IchiNiSan, I believe you confuse technology and politics. You may not like Google for political reasons (I don't like their privacy policies either but that's another thing) but it's difficult to deny that Google is absolutely top notch in their field. Or can you name me another Search provider where you can search academic sources, pictures, pictures of locations, navigation etc etc...
And you're right, it's possible that Android is not yet the most important mobile OS for smartphones, but it's more popular than the iPhone: http://metrics.admob.com/
But be that as it may, I can't change it and it's possible that I can't use my HTC Desire, produced in China properly when in China very soon.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-7-2 21:23:07 |Display all floors

like i sez earlier...

google wont be that kokoo to drop the chinese's mega deal account (but they will continue to spy again with different tactic...you will see), and they will kowtow & obey the PRC law this time (we all learn from our mistakes)  

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-7-2 21:48:37 |Display all floors
Originally posted by youknowhat at 2010-7-2 21:23
google wont be that kokoo to drop the chinese's mega deal account (but they will continue to spy again with different tactic...you will see), and they will kowtow & obey the PRC law this time ( ...

money talks

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.