Views: 2478|Replies: 2

Mortal potential Danger of Nuclear Power Plant [Copy link] 中文

Rank: 6Rank: 6

Post time 2010-6-17 09:30:24 |Display all floors
Any Nuclear Power Plant hides a potential and mortal danger with the risk of radiation leakage. We can still clearly remember the tragedy of  Chernobyl nuclear power plant in Ukraine.
We hope the management of unclear power plant will be under strictly monitoring and put the public security as the priority.

The Daya Bay Nuclear Power Plant confirmed in an official statement on Tuesday night that no radiation leakage occurred at the nuclear station last month.

Continuous environmental monitoring of the levels of radioactivity in the plant and the surrounding areas show that no change took place in the background data measured before the plant went into operation 15 years ago, meaning no leakage took place, said the statement published on the website of Daya Bay Nuclear Power Operations and Management Co Ltd .

Established in March 2003, the company is responsible for the operation and management of the Daya Bay Nuclear Power Plant.

The statement was released in response to earlier media reports that on May 23 the Daya Bay Nuclear Power Plant had suffered a radiation leak, which posed a threat to public safety.

The company said in the statement that on May 23 a fuel rod at the Daya Bay Nuclear Power Plant experienced a "very small leakage", which slightly increased radioactivity levels in the cooling water for the Unit 2 nuclear reactor.

The leak was completely quarantined and, therefore, "had no impact on the public", the statement said, adding that such incidents occasionally happen at nuclear power stations around the world.

The radiation level of the Unit 2 reactor is now within the normal range, the safest of the three levels, and operations at the Daya Bay Nuclear Power Plant had not been affected, according to the statement.

The company has notified the National Nuclear Safety Administration and the Daya Bay Nuclear Safety Consultative Committee and promised to transparently report any further incidents that take place.

The Daya Bay Nuclear Power Plant is located in Shenzhen, Guangdong province, approximately 52 km from Hong Kong's Tsim Sha Tsui district.

The facility annually generates nearly 15 billion kWh, 70 percent of which is supplied to Hong Kong, while the other 30 percent is used to fuel Guangdong province, according to the company website.

Use magic tools Report

Rank: 6Rank: 6

Post time 2010-6-18 11:11:34 |Display all floors
Originally posted by seneca at 2010-6-17 09:38
It's not a 'mortal potential danger' - it's the other way around: a 'potentially mortal danger'.

They are getting a little nervous down in HK over the latest safety report that's been kept on h ...

thx for your correction.
anyway, we hope everything will be ok.   any radiation leakage is really horrible

Use magic tools Report

Rank: 8Rank: 8

Post time 2010-6-18 11:42:01 |Display all floors

twisted twisted with the circulatin news...

like if i cant read the news for myself  

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email:
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.