Beware the Overshare: Why You Shouldn't Always Open Up - Translation Tips 翻译点津 - Chinadaily Forum
Views: 7456|Replies: 4

Beware the Overshare: Why You Shouldn't Always Open Up [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2010-4-27 11:29:07 |Display all floors
Beware the Overshare: Why You Shouldn't Always Open Up
当心分享过度:为什么你不应当总畅所欲言
Oprah.com

Your new friend confides something very personal. Do not—repeat, do not—second that emotion. Martha Beck on how to manage people who play fast and loose with intimacy.

你新交的朋友倾诉了一件很私人的事情。不要---再提醒一遍,不要--对这种情感附和。 Martha Beck 对如何管理那些对亲密戏说的人们。

Boris came to me at the behest of his new girlfriend, Cecily, whom I'd known for years. Since most people dislike being pushed to see any sort of adviser, I expected Boris to be reticent, if not downright hostile. How wrong I was! After a few minutes of chitchat, Boris himself raised a very personal issue.

Boris 奉他新女友我认识很多年的Ceily之命来找我。因为多数人不喜欢被逼着去见任何类型的顾问,所以我预计Boris会会吞吞吐吐--算是不十分敌意的话。我真是大错特错!闲聊几分钟后,Boris自己谈起了一个十分私人的问题。

"I know why Cecily's confused," he said sheepishly. "We've been dating for months, and we still haven't slept together."

“我知道为什么Ceily感到迷惑”他不好意思地说"我们约会有几个月了,还没有一起睡过觉“

"Okay," I said cautiously, not wanting to disrupt a delicate moment.

我谨慎地说“啊”,不想干扰一个微妙的时刻。

"You see," Boris said, looking at the floor. "Ten years ago I had a cancer scare. My, um, prostate. It turned out to be benign, but mentally, it affected...you know." Eyes still averted, Boris described his sexual difficulties and the vicious mockery he'd endured from his former wife. I felt terrible for Boris but also secretly pleased that he'd felt safe enough to divulge such personal information.

“是这样的"Boris说,眼睛望着地面,"十年前,我经历过一次癌症恐慌,我的,嗯, 前列腺。结果是良性的,但是,精神上,它带来了影响..你是知道得”眼睛依然回避着,Boris描述了他的性障碍,以及曾经忍受过前妻的恶毒嘲讽。我对Boris深表同情,但是同样暗自窃喜他感到安心地透露出如此私人的信息。

The next day, Cecily called to thank me. "Boris seems happier," she said. Then her voice dropped. "You know, ten years ago..." She repeated Boris's prostate story, including all the gory details. "I know we have a really special connection," Cecily said, "because Boris shared that with me on our very first date."

次日,Cecily打电话谢谢我。“Boris似乎更快乐了”她说。然后,她的声音突然变小。“你知道吗,十年前..."她复述了Boris前列腺的故事,包括了全部的细节。”我知道我们的关系很特别“Cecily说:”因为Boris在我们第一次约会就将这告诉给我听“

"Ah," I said, developing suspicions.
”啊“我说,心中产生了怀疑。

Weeks later those suspicions were confirmed when Cecily called me in tears. "Boris hit on my best friend," she sobbed. "After I introduced them, he called her and they talked for hours. He told her about his cancer scare and everything."

数周后,当Cecily哭着打电话给我时,这些怀疑得以证实。“Boris和我最要好的朋友好上了”她抽泣地说:”在我给他们介绍后,他打电话给她,他们谈几个小时。他把他的癌症惊恐和一切都告诉给了她“

I felt myself blush. How many other girlfriends, counselors, taxi drivers, and random airplane passengers had Boris seduced into intimacy with the mournful ballad of his achy-breaky reproductive apparatus? It called to mind Broadway megastar Dame Edna's comment about her (fictional) late husband Norm: "Oh, the years I spent with that man's prostate hanging over my head." Boris, it seemed, whipped out his, uh, issues every chance he got. He wasn't just a sharing person. He was an emotional slut.

我感到自己脸红起来。Boris用他的生殖器的悲情诗歌还诱骗了多少位女友、顾问、出租车司机和随便哪一位机场乘客?另人想到了百老汇超级巨星Dame Edna对她(虚构)的已故丈夫Norm的话:"啊,与那个男人前列腺在一起的岁月另我烦忧”似乎Boris一有机会就把,嗯,他的事儿抖出来。他不仅是一个爱分享的人。他是一位情感放荡者。

Of course, I was less upset about this than Cecily, partly because Boris wasn't my significant other, and partly because previous experience had taught me to recognize and cope with people like him. To help you avoid falling for an emotional tramp—or, worse, acting like Boris yourself—I'll give you the same advice I gave Cecily.

当然,对此我没有Cecily那么感到烦恼,部分因为Boris不是我重要的另一半,部分因为之前的经历教会了我识别和应对像他这样的人。为了帮助你避免上情感放荡者的当--或,更糟,自己就和Boris一样--,我要把给Cecily的同样的建议告诉给你。

But first, maybe I should explain what I mean by emotional sluts: They aren't sexually promiscuous folks who also tend to be moody, like, for instance, every single character on Sex and the City. True emotional sluts are psychological wolves in sheep's clothing. They consciously or unconsciously manipulate others with displays of openness and vulnerability.

但是首先,也许我应该解释一下情感放荡者的意思:他们不是那些在性方面随随便便、那些同样容易情绪多变的人,诸如,《欲望都市》中每个角色那样。真正的情感放荡者是心理角度披着羊皮的狼。他们有意识地或无意识地展示出坦诚态度和脆弱性以操纵别人。

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-4-27 11:30:14 |Display all floors
"How to avoid emotional sluts" We all have an innate tendency to mirror the level of intimacy presented by others, so when someone confides personal information, we feel social pressure to reciprocate. This can put us in deep social water with people who might simply be enthusiastic swimmers but could also be sea monsters. Experts who study predatory criminals advise wariness when anyone shares too much information too soon. Such people may be using a tactic called forced teaming, pulling others into ill-advised intimacy and gaining information they can use to embarrass, exploit, invade, or control. For example:

“如何避免情感放荡者”我们都有一种生来对照别人呈递出的亲密度的倾向,所以当有人倾诉私人信息,我们会感到要回报的社交压力。这可能让我们身处于与即也许只是游泳爱好者还可能是海怪的人们的社交深潭中。研究掠夺型犯罪分子的专家们告诫人们有人过快分享过多信息时,要当心。这样的人也许用一个称之为生拉强拽结队的手段,把别人拉入不明智的亲密中,并且获得他们能用于带来难堪、利用、侵略或控制的信息。例如:

During an ordinary water-cooler conversation, Kip's coworker Theresa confided tragic details about her sequence of abusive boyfriends. Kip felt obligated to keep listening and offer comfort. As she confided more, he volunteered stories of his own romantic traumas to help her feel at ease. With all this talk of love, Kip soon realized that Theresa considered their relationship a romance, something he'd never intended. When he told her, as gently as possible, that he wasn't on the market, Theresa did not react well. Kip later learned from a third party that Theresa had been regaling friends with the story of her all-time worst abuser—him.

一次在饮水机旁普通的谈话中,Kip的同事Theresa将其虐待型男友们一个个悲惨细节倾述出来。Kip感到要不得不继续听下去和去安慰。随着她更多倾述,他主动告诉了自己恋爱创伤的故事以帮助她放松。对爱情如此谈论下,Kip不久发现Theresa将他们两人的关系看做是恋爱关系,他从来没希望是这样。当他尽可能轻声细语地告诉她自己心有所归..。Theresa的反应有失水准。。后来Kip从第三方了解到Theresa在对她的朋友们调侃有史以来她的最大虐待者--他。

Amy was 16 when her 40-year-old soccer coach told her about his depression and anxiety. Amy fell for Coach Greene like Juliet on estrogen, telling him all about her own life, including details about her friends. Their intimacy, while never physical, was so emotionally fraught that Amy's interest in boys her own age evaporated (to this day, she dates much older men). Then a teammate informed her that Coach had not only confided in several other soccer players, the entire cheerleading squad, and a comely female bus driver but had also shared Amy's personal disclosures with others—comments she had never meant for any ears but his. Coach Greene's emotional sluttiness left her feeling both exposed and jilted, an adolescent heartbreak that still stings many years later.

Amy 16岁,她的40岁的足球教练告诉他的抑郁和焦虑。Amy就像是发了情的朱丽叶一样爱上了教练Greene,把自己生活的一切都告诉了他,包括她的朋友们的细节。他们的亲密虽然从未有过身体上,可是从情感充斥着至于Amy对和自己年龄段的男孩子们的兴趣一散而尽(如今,她和年龄大得多的男人们约会)。后来,一位队友告诉她那位教练不但对别的足球运动员、整个拉拉队,及一位有风韵的女公交司机曾有过倾述,而且将Amy的私人坦露--那些只想告诉给他的话--告诉给了别人。教练Green的情感放荡让她感到被暴露被抛弃了,许多年后依然带来刺痛的一个青春的伤心处。

If an emotional slut manages to hook you, consider yourself lucky if you merely devote time and attention to someone who hasn't earned it, or reveal a few embarrassing secrets. There can be more serious fallout: You offer your heart, making the relationship far more important to you than to the emotional slut. There's also a slim but real chance you could fall victim to a predator who's deliberately luring you into a vulnerable position, gathering information that can be used to control or victimize you. Realizing that someone you trusted intimately sees you as someone to be manipulated is like walking full speed into a glass door: shocking, probably humiliating, and possibly quite painful.

如果一位情感放荡者骗到了你,要是你仅仅是把时间和注意力给与了不值得获得的人,或,透露了少许令人窘迫的秘密的话,算自己走运吧。后果可能更严重:你掏了心窝,使得这段关系对自己比对情感放荡者重要的多。还有一个很小却真实的可能性就是你可能成为一位蓄意引诱你进入一个脆弱位置的猎食者的受害人,来获得可能用于控制你或使受害人化的信息。发现曾亲信过的人在把你当作一个被操纵的人看待就好像是全速朝着一面玻璃门走去:震惊,或许感到羞辱,还可能很疼。

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-4-27 11:30:50 |Display all floors
How To Avoid Emotional Sluts
如何远离情感放荡者

Manipulative people often rope others into games of conversational strip poker by relying on implicit courtesy—the equivalent of "I took off my shirt, so the least you can do is peel off your socks." Two words: Don't play.

操纵型的人经常通过依靠隐含的礼节来将别人拉入一场交谈式的脱衣扑克游戏中--“我脱了我衬衫,所以,至少你就要脱掉袜子”。两个字:别玩。

You need preparation to resist this kind of peer pressure. Resolve right now that the next time someone divulges inappropriate details about her sinus-flushing compulsion or aberrant body hair, you'll resist the impulse to feign polite interest or share something equally intimate. Instead you'll say, "Oh." That's all. Then maintain silence. If possible, walk away.

你需要做好准备来抵制这种同辈压力。现在就下定决心当下次有人将有关自己。或。。的体毛的不当细节透露,你将会抵制去假装礼貌地感兴趣,或分享同样亲密事情的冲动。相反,你要说,“哦”够了。然后保持沉默。如果可能,走开。

This simple approach is amazingly difficult, partly because our therapy-soaked, tabloid-reading, reality-TV-watching culture encourages emotional intimacy in many contexts. It's easy to join in the exhibitionism, putting yourself in bad company.

这个简单的方法困难地令人惊奇,部分由于我们的饱浸着疗法、小报阅读、真实秀电视的文化鼓励了在许多场合下情感亲密。容易加入到这种”晒“主义,是你自己处于坏帮之中。

How to Recognize a Descent Into Slatternliness
如何识别出落入放荡

My primary care physician, a woman I'll call Dr. Pearl, is right out of Grey's Anatomy. Lovely, humane, and concerned not only for her patients' physical health but for their overall well-being, she's almost too good to be true. Sadly, I know she probably braces herself every time I visit her.

我的初级保健医生,我要把她称做Pearl,简直出自《实习医生格蕾》。为人和蔼、人性化,而且所关心的不仅仅自己的病人的身体健康而且还有总体健康,她几乎好得难以另人置信。可悲的是,我知道,每次我去她或许都要做好准备。

You see, before my first get-to-know-you physical with Dr. Pearl, I was instructed not to eat or drink, lest I mess up my blood tests. I also knew I'd be subjected to the most agonizing of all medical tests: the weigh-in. So perhaps I fasted longer than technically necessary,avoiding even water, which is really heavy.

你看,在与Pearl医生进行我的初次见面体检之前,指导让我不吃不喝,否则就会搞砸我的血液检测。我还知道我会进行所有医检中最令人痛苦的一种:称重。所以也许我禁食的时间要比严格意义上说更长,连水(真正有重量的)都不喝。

My memory of that appointment is kind of blurry, but I believe that when Dr. Pearl asked me about my stress levels, I began compulsively describing everything that ever happened to me in my entire life. Dehydration and low blood sugar turned me into a disclosure train with no brakes. Somewhere between discussing my dread of developing gas during yoga and my detailed description of my childhood hometown (which, in my defense, was rumored to boast of the world's highest per capita consumption of both chocolate doughnuts and antidepressants), Dr. Pearl politely mentioned that therapy was an excellent place to discuss such issues. Well played, Dr. Pearl.

对那次见面,我的记忆有些模糊了,但是我相信当Pearl医生问我关于我的压力水平,我开始有强迫性地描述在我有生以来发生在我身上的每一件事情。脱水和低血糖让我成为了一辆没闸的告白列车。在讨论对做瑜伽怕放屁的恐惧和描述我童年故乡详尽描述(给自己说句公道话,据说它拥有吃巧克力及吃抗抑郁药物世界之最的消费水平),Pearl医生有礼貌地提醒到对这样的事情讨论最好的地方是疗法。Pearl医生,做得好。

Hours later, filled with chocolate doughnuts, fluids, and horror at my own behavior, I swore to make something positive come from my shameful exhibitionism. I reviewed the appointment mentally, paying special attention to the moment I knew I'd gone too far (sadly, this was very early in the conversation). In hindsight I realized it was the moment Dr. Pearl had flashed a certain micro-expression, basically the nonverbal equivalent of the word oy.

数小时后,满肚子的巧克力炸圈饼、流质;还有对自己行为的恐惧。我发誓要从我的可耻的“晒”主义中找出些积极的东西。我默默回顾了一下这次会见,特别注意到自己知道自己说过头的时刻(令人悲哀的是,那是在谈话很早的时候)。回头看来,我发现那是Pearl医生闪过一个特定微小表情的时刻,基本而言,非口头式的一个字”喂“。

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-4-27 11:31:54 |Display all floors
How to Read Lips (And Eyes, and Foreheads...)

”如何看嘴唇(和眼睛,还有额头)

If you've never heard of micro-expressions, it's time you did. They've been famously studied by Paul Ekman, PhD (the real-life model for Dr. Cal Lightman of the hit show Lie to Me), who found that all humans display the range of emotions with identical facial expressions. Even when we're trying to be inscrutable, our true feelings involuntarily flash across our faces for about a fifth of a second: a micro-expression.

如果你从未听说过微表情,那么是时候了。Paul Ekman博士(热播节目Lie to Me中Cal Lightman现实生活原型)对它们进行了著名的研究,发现所有人表达各种感情所用的是相同的面部表情。即便当我们努力要不带表情,我们真实的感受会不由自主地从我们脸上一闪而过,大约是五分之一秒的时间:微表情。

Most of us aren't aware of other people's micro-expressions, though we see them subconsciously. To evaluate your ability to read these expressions, take the cool Web-based test at Cio.com/article/facial-expressions-test. Not only is it fascinating, it underscores the fact that we can train ourselves to see and read micro-expressions. This, I concluded after my shameful doctor's appointment, is a skill that can help us all avoid becoming emotional sluts.

我们多数人没有注意到别人的微表情,我们还是会潜意识看到它们。要评估一下自己看出这些表情的能力,上Cio.com/article/facial-expression-test网页进行很酷的网上测验。不仅吸引人,它还着重指出我们能训练自己看到和读懂微表情的能力。在与医生令人羞愧的会见之后,我的结论是这是一种可以帮助我们所有人避免成为情感放荡者的一个技巧。

Try this exercise: Imagine that your grandmother is visiting (from Detroit, Bosnia, the afterlife, or wherever). She takes a prescription sleep medication that, according to the manufacturer, "can cause amnesiac sleep housekeeping in rare cases." During the wee hours, you awaken to find Nana, stark naked, at the foot of your bed, folding your laundry.

尝试这个练习:想象一下你的祖母来探望(从底特律、波斯尼亚,下一辈子,任何地方)。她拿来一个处方安眠药,根据生产商称,“极少情况下可能引起失忆型梦中打扫房间” 半夜,你醒来发现你的奶奶裸体站在你的床脚前叠着衣服。

Picture this vividly, allowing your face to do whatever it wants. Good—now, freeze. Memorize your expression. Study it in a mirror: the widened eyes, the wrinkled nose, the head pulled back like that of a startled heron. This is the reaction of a person who's receiving Too Much Information. Remember it!

生动地想象,让你的脸自由发挥, 好--现在,定格。回忆一下你的表情。照着这镜子研究它:眼睛睁大,鼻子皱起,脑袋回缩得像一只受惊的鹭。这是某个获得太多信息的人做出的反应。别忘了!

If you do this, you'll notice far more accurately when someone flashes a warning that you're overexposed. Even if the micro-expression is so fleeting you don't see it, your gut will shout, "Danger! Turn back!" Promise yourself that if this happens, you'll immediately say, "But enough about me! What about the weather we're having?" This preparation can save you from behaving like an emotional strumpet—even in situations where you're disoriented by the threat of, say, a weigh-in.

如果你做了这个练习,那么注意到什么时候人们闪过了你暴露过多的警告你的准确度大大提高。即便这个为表情瞬间即逝,你没有看到,可是你的直觉会大吼:“危险!回头!”保证自己如果是这样,就会立即说:“别谈我了!今天天气如何?”这个准备可以避免你像一位情感放荡者。--即便在那些被如:称重的威胁下晕头转向的情况下。

Emotional intimacy is one of the greatest joys of human existence. Still, it's best to let it develop gradually, with each party revealing more as confidence and mutual trust increase. If I sound like your grandma (before she went on that crazy sleep medication), so be it. Old-fashioned caution can preserve your reputation, dignity, and self-respect, so slap on that emotional chastity muzzle by practicing your micro-expression skills and conversational deflections until they're practically reflexive. Then, when an emotional slut pressures you to go too far, too soon, you can save yourself for someone who deserves you more.

情感的亲密是人类存在的最大快乐之一。不过,最好是让它逐渐发展,随着自信和共同信任的增加,每一方来透露地更多。如果我听上去像你的婆婆(在她服用疯狂安眠药之前),那好吧。保守的谨慎可以保住你的名誉,尊严和自尊,所以练习你的微表情技能和谈话转换直到变得几乎成为条件反射。那时候,当一个情绪放荡者逼迫你太快就发展得太远,那么你可以把自己留给更应当拥有你的某位。

Martha Beck is the author of six books, including Steering by Starlight (Rodale).

(the end)

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-1-14 19:54:48 |Display all floors
i am one of easy open person to new friend, how if we find comfortable person? although that just our new friend..

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.