Views: 2355|Replies: 3

The differences of US and China, after the Coal mine accident [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2010-4-9 16:13:24 |Display all floors
US

At least 12 miners were killed and 10 were unaccounted for after an explosion ripped through a West Virginia coal mine on Monday
“All we know now is, this is an awful disaster,” Representative Nick J. Rahall II said as he arrived at the mine site, which is in his district. “This is the second major disaster at a Massey site in recent years, and something needs to be done.”

Phil Smith, a spokesman for the United Mine Workers of America, said that the mine was nonunion but that the union had dispatched a team to advise on the rescue and to help the families of the trapped or dead miners.

Michael Mayhorn, an emergency dispatcher for Boone County, said that at least 20 ambulances and three helicopters had been dispatched from nearby counties, and that the state medical examiner was heading to the scene. At least one miner was evacuated by helicopter, he said.

As a number of news outlets reported on Tuesday, Massey Energy, the owner of the Upper Big Branch mine in West Virginia where 25 miners died in an explosion on Monday, is no stranger to safety violations.

Forbes magazine’s Energy Source blog, for example, is pointing to a 2003 profile of Massey’s colorful chief executive, Don Blankenship. From that profile:

Over the two years through 2001 Massey was cited by West Virginia officials for violating regulations 501 times. Its three biggest rivals, mining twice as much coal in the state as Massey, were cited a collective 175 times. Blankenship says Massey is unfairly targeted by regulators. “We don’t pay much attention to the violation count,” he says.

The Massey Energy Company, the biggest coal mining business in central Appalachia and the owner of the Upper Big Branch mine, has drawn sharp scrutiny and fines from regulators over its safety and environmental record.

In 2008, one of its subsidiaries paid what federal prosecutors called the largest settlement in the history of the coal industry after pleading guilty to safety violations that contributed to the deaths of two miners in a fire in one of its mines. That year, Massey also paid a $20 million fine — the largest of its kind levied by the Environmental Protection Agency — for clean water violations.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-4-9 16:18:23 |Display all floors
the difeefrence is between a developed & developing one

where $ can settle most issues
What's on your mind now........ooooooooooooooo la la....Kind Regards

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-4-9 16:24:46 |Display all floors
China

I have never seen any information on the Punishment of the manager of this mine and related Worker Union to question the Ofiicial watchdog of the mine. not any declaration of strict scrutiny from related department
Flooding at a coal mine under construction in North China has trapped 123 workers underground, the national work safety watchdog said Sunday night.
The mine's annual capacity is planned at 6 million tons and could keep producing coal for more than 100 years.

Coal mines under construction or renovation have become more accident-prone since the start of this year.

On March 15, an underground fire at a rebuilt mine left 25 miners dead in Xinmi city of Henan province.

On March 1, flooding at an unfinished pit in Wuhai city of Inner Mongolia killed one worker and trapped 31, who were declared dead on March 14.

On Jan 5, an underground fire at a mine under renovation left 34 dead in Xiangtan county of Hunan province.

Luo Lin, director of the State Administration of Work Safety, and Zhao Tiechui, director of the State Administration of Coal Mine Safety, were leading a team to assist with rescue efforts, the statement said.
A failure to heed warnings that water was seeping into the coal shaft and a slow evacuation led to 153 miners becoming trapped Sunday in a mine in north China's Shanxi Province, officials said Wednesday.

An evacuation should have been ordered immediately after managers received reports of water leakage, said Luo Lin, director of the State Administration of Work Safety (SAWS).

Managers should have evacuated miners, cut the power and suspended work at once, he said. "The response should have been much faster."

Workers at the Wangjialing Coal Mine had warned supervisors twice late Sunday morning, about two hours before the flood occurred, said Jiang Shijie, a manager of the Wangjialing coal mine project
The rescue team sent 360 bags of glucose, each 200 ml, down the 250-meter Wangjialing Coal Mine in Shanxi Province after hearing banging on a metal pipe.

Pan Zengwu, deputy chief of the Shanxi provincial coal geological bureau, said rescuers heard what they believed to be the trapped miners making the noise at 2:15 p.m..

The rescuers knocked on the drill pipe to respond, Pan said.

He said the rescue team sent 360 bags of glucose, each 200 ml, down the 250-meter pit.

Rescuers have been drilling holes to pump out water and send down food.
The death toll in the flooded Wangjialing Coal Mine in north China's Shanxi Province rose to seven Wednesday, as rescuers tried to locate the remaining 31 trapped miners, the rescue headquarters said.

A spokesman with the headquarters said rescuers were inching their way towards the last two work platforms underground as pumps slowly lowered the water level in the shafts.

One of the submerged stretches leading to the two platforms was estimated at 700 meters long and the other at 350 meters, he said.

On Monday, 115 miners were pulled out of the mine alive after being trapped for more than a week

[ Last edited by tamson at 2010-4-9 04:36 PM ]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-4-10 21:57:51 |Display all floors

News Blackout in the West

Seneca, what does happen to WikiLeaks news in the US?

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.