Views: 2903|Replies: 11

Taiwanese protest Shanghai Mayor's visit [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2010-4-7 10:55:19 |Display all floors
I want to know how many protesters showed up at the airport that day. It's like a joke. Just watch their performance for fun, it's a custom for Taiwanese to demonstrate attract media attention. They don't really understand whay they're protesting against, and what will happen if two sides continue further cooperation. What did they lose these years? A large number of mainland visitors flocked into the small island to have a trip, brought it decent travel income. Otherwise, who cares to go to Taiwan for a trip instead of visiting Chinese mainland.

Shanghai mayor's visit sparks protests

South China Morning Post

Shanghai Mayor Han Zheng arrived in Taiwan yesterday amid protests by islanders fearful of the consequences of closer ties with the mainland, officials said.

A group of demonstrators at Taipei's Sungshan airport loudly protested against the Economic Co-operation Framework Agreement planned between the two sides.

"No ECFA!" the protesters shouted as police with shields prevented them from getting close to Han. Television footage showed at least one scuffling with the officers.

Han met Taipei counterpart Hau Lung-bin, signing agreements on cultural exchange, tourism, environmental protection and high-technology industrial parks. Han is in Taiwan for a four-day visit, mainly to promote the World Expo, which will begin in Shanghai on May 1.

To boost ties between the two cities, the Bank of Communication's Shanghai branch would launch exchange services of yuan and Taiwanese dollars before May 1, Han said.

Two demonstrators rolled out a 10-metre protest banner from the fifth floor of a hotel where officials were to sign agreements, local media said. Outside the hotel, an activist from the League of Chinese Victims, based in Hong Kong, protested against the forced relocation of some 300 households for the construction of the World Expo.
I am a Beijing girl.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-4-7 11:16:21 |Display all floors
The half south taiwan is green....it's also funny to see mainlander tourist visit these places, because the real taiwan culture is there...Tainan, Kaoshiung..Etc

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-4-7 11:16:24 |Display all floors
Originally posted by polaris1120 at 2010-4-7 10:55
It's like a joke. Just watch their performance for fun, it's a custom for TWNese to demonstrate attract media attention...

When Chinese protested in the streets of London stating "I Love China", no one described it as a joke.

When TWNese protest because they have love for their homeland, it should be seen in the same light.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-4-7 16:20:19 |Display all floors
but the purposes aren't the same. chinese protest in london for not being bullied by western countries. while taiwanese demonstrates in taiwan for not cooperationg with the mainland. i don't see the point that after the cooperation, taiwan will be harmed by the mainland.
I am a Beijing girl.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-4-7 17:44:05 |Display all floors
Previously , I don't understand why Taiwanese strongly resist the unification even the cooperation .  We have the "one country , two systems" principle !  However , they don't give it a sh!t . But now , after hearing and experiencing so many bad things in mainland , i get the picture .  
I don't care whether they want UNIFICATION or not , I hope they can live blessedly forever .

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-4-7 17:52:19 |Display all floors
Originally posted by polaris1120 at 2010-4-7 16:20
but the purposes aren't the same. chinese protest in london for not being bullied by western countries. while taiwanese demonstrates in taiwan for not cooperationg with the mainland. i don't see th ...

Haven't you considered the possibility that these TWNese feel bullied by the mainland?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-4-7 17:55:08 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.