Views: 2165|Replies: 12

25 dead in US mine explosion [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2010-4-7 09:55:53 |Display all floors
An explosion ripped through a coalmine in West Virginia on Monday, killing 25 workers and leaving four unaccounted for in one of the worst US mining disasters in decades, officials said.
"Massey Energy Company is confirming 25 fatalities at its Upper Big Branch Mine, resulting from a tragic explosion," the company said in a statement.
The blast occurred toward the end of the afternoon at the mine run by Performance Coal Company, a sub-sidiary of Massey Energy, in the town of Mountcoal located about 30 miles (50 kilometers) south of Charleston.
As well as four miners who were still missing, two others were hospitalized after the blast rocked the mine in Raleigh county, West Virginia, the company said.
"Our prayers go out to the families of the miners. We want to assure the families of all the miners we are taking every action possible to locate and rescue those still missing," said the company's chairman and chief executive, Don Blankenship.
President Barack Obama telephoned West Virginia Governor Joe Manchin to offer "his deepest con-dolences to those who lost loved ones earlier today in the tragic incident," a White House statement said.
A massive rescue operation was launched after the blast, as local and volunteer firefighters rushed to the scene along with a fleet of ambulances and mine-safety crews tried to contact missing miners underground.
However, rescue work was suspended later due to high levels of toxic gas, officials said.
Manchin, who rushed home from a vacation upon learning about the news, said Obama had promised "every asset available" to help in the rescue effort.
In Washington, West Virginia Senator Jay Rockefeller said he and his wife were "heartbroken" at the news. "We are sending all of our prayers and thoughts to the brave miners and their families."
According to official figures, annual fatalities from mining accidents have totaled fewer than 20 in West Virginia since 1983, except for in 1991 when there were 22 and in 2006 when there were 25.
AFP

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-4-8 03:57:30 |Display all floors

Chinese mine expert advices offered.

This is indeed a very sad and tragic accident.
Our deepest condolences goes to the relatives of the dead miners of Mountcoal.

I hope the US Health and Safety people will bring the corrupt American mining managers responsible for the lives of those killed to justice.

Perhaps with their experience in mining safety, Chinese experts can offer help and advice to their American counterparts.
Given free of charge of course, so generous always are the Chinese people!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-4-8 04:21:12 |Display all floors

Reply #2 ThankoPan's post

Hahahaha!

About three years ago I flew back to the US with an entire team of US mining resucuers and their equipment -- I recall the tragedies of bucket brigades from the town and the lack of real technology in China

Not one arselick at CD had a word of thanks to these men, now I see their equipment and techniques put into place -- you needn't be thankful, you turd, you can just be a little boy with a big stupid mouth -- nothing will change by your presence on this earth!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-4-8 04:21:31 |Display all floors

maybe the canuck guy should have a shot at this...

and where's the canadian -man  when we need him  

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-4-8 12:26:05 |Display all floors

Reply #3 blueskies88's post

The White Queen is angry!

ha ha ha

Green DRagon
Game Master

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-4-8 17:58:36 |Display all floors

A typical ungrateful,

Originally posted by blueskies88 at 2010-4-8 04:21
Hahahaha!

About three years ago I flew back to the US with an entire team of US mining resucuers and their equipment -- I recall the tragedies of bucket brigades from the town and the lack of re ...

insolent, arrogant gweilo poof manner depicted in Bluefly's reply won't you agree members?

[ Last edited by ThankoPan at 2010-4-8 05:59 PM ]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-4-8 18:39:14 |Display all floors
Originally posted by ThankoPan at 2010-4-8 17:58

insolent, arrogant gweilo poof manner depicted in Bluefly's reply won't you agree members?

I don`t agree.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.