Author: longzhou

You gonna love this one! Justice Made in USA [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2010-3-30 19:03:28 |Display all floors
Of course, none of these things tell us the actual details of the case. In the case of Liebeck, where the award gets its name, he coffee at McDonald's actually was dangerously hot: she suffered 3rd degree burns from a coffee spill. In fact, it was during the discovery phase that it was found that McDonald's actually mandated absurdly hot coffee so that it would still be hot after as long as 30 minutes of commute.That's a lot of heat, a dangerous amount.

She won and rightfully so. It's a testament to people's idiocy that they believe that somehow they can hear a 3 sentence blurb about a trial and declare they know it to be frivolous. Go read the Wikipedia article, it gives an excellent synopsis. If I told you a man had accidentally lit his face on fire while trying to light a cigarette, you'd say it was a frivolous suit; if I told you that it was because the intakes were faulty and sometimes caused the flame to jump to being 3 or 4 inches high, you'd probably vote for damages.
"Justice prevails... evil justice."

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-3-30 19:12:13 |Display all floors

Andrew.....

Originally posted by wowzers at 2010-3-30 19:01

You were busted for posting fabrications as the real thing.
Who's the clown?

No kids to chase tonight? No parents to "con" with some t-shirts?

I posted this thread to show how people entertain themselves in USA.  

Now listen; If the hat fits, wear it!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-3-30 19:13:25 |Display all floors

Absolutely true........

Originally posted by interesting at 2010-3-30 19:03
Of course, none of these things tell us the actual details of the case. In the case of Liebeck, where the award gets its name, he coffee at McDonald's actually was dangerously hot: she suffered 3rd ...

And so far one of the few sensible answers!

It was not in any other place but the USA that the term "ambulance chasers" was invented!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-3-30 19:14:01 |Display all floors
Originally posted by longzhou at 2010-3-30 19:12

No kids to chase tonight? No parents to "con" with some t-shirts?

I posted this thread to show how people entertain themselves in USA.  

Now listen; If the hat fits, wear it!

Kids to chase?
T Shirts?
What are you babbling on about?
Good Gweilo: My job is the ideological quality control

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-3-30 19:22:38 |Display all floors
Long,

So... do you know that for a fact or are you just making an assumption?

Britain had a litigious culture long in advance of the US. So too did Italy. In fact, up-and-coming Romans would seek out people who had been wronged and plea their case before the praetor, such was how you grew your base of political support early on.

Likewise, what we would consider attorneys in ancient Athens would do the same to bolster their reputations.

I am sure someone well-versed in Chinese legal history knows of the same sort in China. Any culture that had a relatively free and stable legal system had this form of business.

Even if "ambulance chaser" is an American term, it's nothing but our term for a quite ancient practice.

[ Last edited by interesting at 2010-3-30 05:10 PM ]
"Justice prevails... evil justice."

Use magic tools Report

Medal Medal of honor Gold Medal July's Best Writer 2012 October's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2010-3-30 19:23:12 |Display all floors

rockmybaby #15

Curious that you believe and accept these posts at #15.

Then counter it 7 minutes later at # 16.

I don't think that is too much to crow about.

In fact, that is quite some delay.   

Use magic tools Report

Medal Medal of honor Gold Medal July's Best Writer 2012 October's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2010-3-30 19:25:55 |Display all floors

Yes, very common.

I have a picture of an ambulance chaser in old ancient Rome.  

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.