Author: middleway

I'll Tell You Why Chinese Cities Are (Becoming) So Ugly [Copy link] 中文

Gold Medal

Post time 2010-3-31 18:28:31 |Display all floors
Originally posted by seneca at 2010-3-31 19:02
So pre-'liberation era urban China' was, according to someone who couldn't possibly have been here then even if he wanted to, 'ratholes'...

That's the worst sinophobic statement I have read in t ...

Thanks for being artificially upset. I know that you would like China to be a backwater and drowning in nostalgia. Bad for you - nobody listens.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-3-31 19:06:56 |Display all floors
Originally posted by zglobal at 2010-3-30 00:53
Dalian is a city they can proud of, same goes for Shanghai.

In fact for a developing country, the mayor of Dalian deserves a CCP medal for the model he gave China.

Strange choice.

The only buildings/structures of historical value in Dalian were built by the Russians and Japanese.

Most of the Japanese built houses are lying in almost total ruin after decades of no maintenance and many are lived in e.g. by garbage recyclers (who use the yards for the garbage).

The buildings around Zhongshan Square, including now Bank of China, were built by the Japanese & Russians too.

As was the railway station, railroad and many of the hospitals.

Bo Xi Lai did a good job certainly but not in retaining Chinese heritage. There really wasn't any for this city that is after all only about 100 years old.

[ Last edited by zhiran at 2010-3-31 07:08 PM ]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-4-1 07:54:03 |Display all floors
Originally posted by Alex2010 at 2010-3-29 09:07
What in my eyes is a pity is that China doesn`t cherish their architectual treasures. I saw pictures taking by plane of Beijing in the 20`s....a beautiful city.When the communists took over Mao had ...

my stomach turns and churns from the inside out when taken to these eerie, gray, dirty, almost cob web infested old ruins that these tour guides take us whenever on a group tour in china...  

i mean at the very least, these so called protected cultural relics should have been scrubbed to the very crevis; its dirts picked out of it; then brought back to the exact "proud condition it was" when in its hey days; then laminated with a protective coating and cordoned off from direct contact with the public instead of being permitted to be paraded in from of literally millions upon millions of visitors -- if they are cherished as the state treasures that they are being considered...

besides, by me, there are simply way way too many such sites and as such not needed. i mean just as everything else in life, the old "MUS" make room for the new. in other words, when i visit china, what i expect to see and marvel at is the progress china is making and not how glorious we were in our sorry assed days...

when i visits china, i look for marvels of engineering such as skyscrapers and other engineering feats that reaches for the skies, plus prehistoric marvels as the wall, but definitely not old run down ruins which tells me how the elites of Chinese society once lived apart from the rest of mainstream china. that i can catch up in the library and in documentaries in my tv screen...

no. we don't need to maintain the sorry assed sick old man of asia cultural image we were... we need to tear down bad memories and put up new ones as a legacy to what we, the modern chinese, are capable of achieving...
Putin's a killer. This was the claim made by Fox News journalist; Bill O'Reilly during his recent interview with Donald Trump. Trump's reply came in the form of a simple question. What, you think our country's so innocent?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-4-1 08:05:14 |Display all floors
Originally posted by satsu_jin at 2010-3-31 00:48

1. Many European cities don`t allow high buildings to be build in the old center of a citiy to prevent the scenery be destroyed by those ugly modern things
Copy code

Neither does Beijing ...

the bylaws of redmond, wa stipulates that you can't go over two stories either. look where bill sends his hard earnt msft money while redmond remains that old, tiring, and lonesome midwestern corn country town no one wants to live: next door to bellevue, wa. progress man... progress is king... i mean can you live on cultural relics alone? of course not!
Putin's a killer. This was the claim made by Fox News journalist; Bill O'Reilly during his recent interview with Donald Trump. Trump's reply came in the form of a simple question. What, you think our country's so innocent?

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.