Author: middleway

I'll Tell You Why Chinese Cities Are (Becoming) So Ugly [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2010-3-28 11:55:59 |Display all floors
"so what more defining do you want?"

Cultural defining.  An acceptance that Chinese architecture is worth preserving, learning from, and even exporting.

"Why not if it can help bring in the revenues to help us built state of the arts jet fighters to defend the motherland"

It can't.  I'm not talking about industrial growth, trade, wealth generation.  I'm talking about the aesthetic choice about what rich people's houses look like.  If a Chinese billionnaire chooses to live in a fake Swiss villa instead of a siheyuan, how does that bring in more revenue?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-3-28 11:58:58 |Display all floors
PS to clarify: I'm not actually agreeing that Chinese cities are "so ugly" (although some parts of them clearly aren't that pretty, obviously), and I'm not saying that cheap housing, industry etc shouldn't be built because it doesn't look nice.  I'm focusing only on what happens when you get wealthy enough that you can make an actual aesthetic choice.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-3-29 01:44:08 |Display all floors
Originally posted by youknowhat at 2010-3-27 14:55
y'all tellin me not even some uniqueness to any chinese cities...c'mon be fair would you  

Well...  Them Gweilo's...  

What they were expecting [ for a normal Chinese city to be ] are that of the sights and sounds of what are antiquated relicts of Fumanchu's past,  images which are synonymous with what are mildewed, trashed infested, dirty, and ill mannered communities of that which are the Chinatowns of what are NYC and Frico, or...

"... what are characters synonymous with what are in Jacky Chan's idiotic depictions of what are Hollywood's deemed characters of what the average Chinese person are in Jacky's ass-rubbing white-audience-butt-kissing Rush Hours II epics..."

Never could they have ever imagined for example, that Japan is not a country made up of Geisha girls and sushi bars but rather an advance country with 21st modern skyscrapers and men's of business that only congress can bring to its knees with conspiracies threatening to take Toyota down if it keep making their products so good that America's big three have to take a second seat, and...

Never could they have ever imagined that Chinese cities, too, could be just as gleaming with modern skysrcappers (YES, the word is "[ui]MODERN", guys) -- not "UGLY" and never could they have ever imagined that unlike the populations of Japan, Korea, HK or Taiwan, that the personalities and the characteristics of the citizens in these Chinese cities could be as snobby, as cold, and as fake, towards foreigners they are...  

[size=-2]
Yes, you can feel the fakness citizens in China have towards foreigners because, deep down, Chinese by an large are not butt kissers like that of their Japanese, Korean, Taiwan or HK counterparts and that, to the average western foreigner, makes Chinese cities ugly...p

Yes, that is how or why westerners see Chinese cities as ugly... it's because Chinese don't see westerners as the Gods that Japanese, Koreans, Taiwanese and Hongkers does -- they see westerners instead as "money bags and as big big suckers" and that is a fact!

Putin's a killer. This was the claim made by Fox News journalist; Bill O'Reilly during his recent interview with Donald Trump. Trump's reply came in the form of a simple question. What, you think our country's so innocent?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-3-29 01:54:42 |Display all floors
Originally posted by RoamingFish at 2010-3-27 16:49

China is well known with its profound cultural background

Especially, love and harmony are valued highly in China

People like you who hold so much hatred and extreme have no way to unders ...

Mr. Interesting???  

He's probably been jilted so many times by countless numbers of Chinese females that he have crushes for that the indifference's he have for the Chinese as a whole is starting to built in his bloods...

Putin's a killer. This was the claim made by Fox News journalist; Bill O'Reilly during his recent interview with Donald Trump. Trump's reply came in the form of a simple question. What, you think our country's so innocent?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-3-29 02:25:57 |Display all floors
Originally posted by thepeop at 2010-3-27 19:48
Edisonone- the usual explanation is that the four stars are gong, nong, xiao zichan and minzu zichan.  On the other hand, some people claim that the five stars represent Hanzu, Manzu, Huizu, Zangzu ...

has our flag been rearranged that much since liberation?

damn! i used to salute it each and every morning come rain shine or snow before i enters the classroom where my old man was the school principle and where i had sworn under oath to protect during my boy scout (red guardian) days even after my old man had hightailed to hk under the fear he would be persecuted by local authorities who exploited the cr to elevate themselves in the then chinese society...

So much for patriotism eh???

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-3-29 14:11:03 |Display all floors
Well, I'm not sure if the meaning of the flag is/was officially spelt out.  It'd make sense in the CR not to emphasise both xiao zichan and minzu zichan- sounds a little too capitalist road..

As far as I'm aware, Japan manages to have skyscrapers, sushi bars, AND geishas.  Not so many left of the latter, though.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-3-29 14:48:40 |Display all floors

Reply #34 thepeop's post

you haven't been to Japan...

ha ha ha

Green DRagon
Game Master

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.