Author: middleway

I'll Tell You Why Chinese Cities Are (Becoming) So Ugly [Copy link] 中文

Gold Medal

Post time 2010-3-27 15:17:36 |Display all floors
Originally posted by thepeop at 2010-3-27 16:14
"buildings with a chinese characteristic doesn't put bread and butter...  errrrrr....  i meant rice and soya sauce...  errrr... i meant  (man-tao and extra spicy chilly sauce)  on the dinner t ...

1. fake churches
Copy code

I agree, the churches are really not needed!!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-3-27 17:07:26 |Display all floors
You have already got what you really want and have some time to take a rest
I am afraid China cannot
When you are drinking coffee leisurely, China keeps running
Chinese has no time to enjoy the life and has no money to develop the highest taste

Where the time and money goes for?
Education and healthcare… those basic things
Also China needs enough money to get invited in the ‘powerful’ world. Isn’t it?
Sorry for not pleasing your eyes.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-3-27 19:04:33 |Display all floors
Originally posted by nebula1 at 2010-3-27 09:57
So where is the Australian character in your glass-covered skyscrapers? Australian cities look no different from any city in the USA!
Don't ask China to do what you cannot achieve yourself!

Australian cities are less than 200 years old but yes, there have been some areas where historical architecture has been wantonly demolished.
In the past 30 years there has been an increased sensitivity to historical buildings and a much greater emphasis on heritage laws.

As for our cities looking no different to American cities, well from the air they all look the same, take a walk down Collins street in Melbourne and you might see a difference.

Originally posted by edisonone at 2010-3-27 09:58
let's look at it this way, emucentral:
buildings with a chinese characteristic doesn't put bread and butter...  errrrrr....  i meant rice and soya sauce...  errrr... i meant  (man-tao and extra spicy chilly sauce)  on the dinner table ...  ...

What about that bloody big tower in Taipei ?

Originally posted by RoamingFish at 2010-3-27 19:07
You have already got what you really want and have some time to take a rest
I am afraid China cannot
Sorry for not pleasing your eyes.

It doesn't matter what we think, but it matters what Chinese people think about the destruction of the beauty of their heritage and culture.
It won't be long before they start noticing and protesting more and more.
And the authorities won't be able to suppress the opinions forever.
"他不是救星, 他是一个非常淘气男孩" - Monty Python

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-3-28 05:01:43 |Display all floors
Originally posted by thepeop at 2010-3-26 23:14
Tell that to the businessmen who pump billions of yuan into rebuilding 'old towns', temples etc as tourist attractions.  

I've been to them all (Huangshan, Ujian, West Lake, the filming site where they had turned into an almost Universal Studio to capture tourist dollars [from overseas Chinese] but those are definitely not the principle sources or central source of income which put us in forefront of wealthy countries in the world.  

And, as for having to go 'with the flow'- now it's pretty rich (and getting richer), can't China start defining that flow?  

But she is defining that flow. nations the world over are taking cue at the success of the Chinese model and they are all trying everything they can to imitate it.  China's market reform which had brought about its success are the very model for which brought about India's economic success of today. Russia is setting up special economic zones with Chinese help in attempts to revitalize its almost dead economy. Countries in South East Asia, North Korea, and more are jumping in on the rewards that the Chinese model is proving, even Vietnam is following suite seeing how it has turn China from a society of from rags to riches, so what more defining do you want?

Are poor imitations of European villas, complete with fake churches etc, essential to China's economic growth?

Why not if it can help bring in the revenues to help us built state of the arts jet fighters to defend the motherland; if it helps us develop our very own and brand new sparking warships and other arms which make people think and think hard before they make a stupid decision; if it help make us one of only three truly space faring nations in the world to help instill pride in the younger generations of Chinese???

It qll about money, you have money, you don't have any worries...
Putin's a killer. This was the claim made by Fox News journalist; Bill O'Reilly during his recent interview with Donald Trump. Trump's reply came in the form of a simple question. What, you think our country's so innocent?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-3-28 06:13:23 |Display all floors
Originally posted by edisonone at 2010-3-28 07:01
But she is defining that flow. nations the world over are taking cue at the success of the Chinese model and they are all trying everything they can to imitate it.  China's market reform which had brought about its success are the very model for which brought about India's economic success of today.

Please describe "China's model".

Isn't it just a copy of western capitalism without the oversight, sensible labour laws and worker benefits which the capitalist west has had for decades ?
"他不是救星, 他是一个非常淘气男孩" - Monty Python

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-3-28 06:48:12 |Display all floors
The reason that China's cities are ugly is because China has no soul and no truth. Architecture, like art, follows soul and embodies truth. As China has neither, it shows to the world an ugly face, it holds up a twisted mirror to all comers, its cities lie in the uncanny valley.
"Justice prevails... evil justice."

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-3-28 06:55:11 |Display all floors

so ugly that not even unique...

y'all tellin me not even some uniqueness to any chinese cities...c'mon be fair would you  

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.