Views: 8359|Replies: 5

Explain Chinese policies better [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2010-2-9 15:59:40 |Display all floors
Don't mistaken fear from ignorance for hate.  This is precisely what leaders in China have been worried about for many years--the rise of China is threatening.  It is unfamiliar.  People (and countries) react to unfamiliar circumstances with fear and often anger.  These can be dangerous times.  However, the people on the street are generally decent in any country.  Their principal shortcoming is a lack of information.  This type of ignorance is then often exploited by politicians for their own purposes. China needs to do a better job explaining its goals and ambitions. It may seem unnecessary to explain oneself but frankly who else is going to do it for you?  The United States is a very powerful country filled with decent people.  But people in the US only hear about currency manipulations, environmental pollutions, and how the Chinese are taking jobs away from Americans.  These accusations of unfairness have been subtly manipulated by politicians for their own purposes.  It is time for there to be a movement in the US that helps to set a positive image of China to Americans.  Americans have to be more "familiar" with China and the Chinese.  Americans are not going to get that listening only to the Washington Post or the NY Times with reporters who don't have access to people in power in China.  China needs to provide better spokespeople to the western press who can do a much better job explaining Chinese policies that is understandable to the American people.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-2-9 16:04:03 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2019-8-26 12:35:21 |Display all floors
I read this 9 years later and realize my concerns were not unfounded. China remains unexplained and its policies being exploited by unscrupulous politicians elsewhere.  China needs to have high-profiled individuals acknowledge that it can be a threat to others and why that is not in itself the same as actually a belligerent state.  Repeatedly saying China is not a threat is not a good way.  No one believes that a man with a big gun harbors no bad intentions just on his say so.  The need for the gun has to be explained. Demanding understanding is not a good substitute for a good explanation.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2019-8-27 15:47:07 |Display all floors
longjohns Post time: 2019-8-26 12:35
I read this 9 years later and realize my concerns were not unfounded. China remains unexplained and  ...

Your request is genuine and deserves attention. I offer my humble suggestion.

Read widely, not just the "trustworthy" western media. You need to see both sides of the coin before you can truly come to a reasonable conclusion. There are English versions of Chinese newspapers such as People's Daily, Xinhua, and Chinadaily. The Chinese government's White Paper concerning many issues have been published quite recently and the hot topic of the South China Sea has been explained some years back in detail by Fu Ying. You can then get an idea of China's policies. You should ignore the false accusations that the Chinese media is only propaganda.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2019-9-9 13:48:27 |Display all floors
huaqiao Post time: 2019-8-27 15:47
Your request is genuine and deserves attention. I offer my humble suggestion.

Read widely, not ju ...

Of course.  I read this site.  But it isn't me China needs to reach.  It is the ordinary Americans.  China's relationship with America and the rest of the world is at a critical juncture.  It is not ok to say that enough effort has been made.  I say again what I said 9 years ago.  No one will help to explain yourself other than you.  More efforts need to be made.  Talking is so much cheaper than trade wars.  

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2019-9-9 15:59:28 |Display all floors
longjohns Post time: 2019-9-9 13:48
Of course.  I read this site.  But it isn't me China needs to reach.  It is the ordinary Americans ...

The Chinese media I have suggested is out there for anyone interested to read. If American people refuse to read them, there is little to be done. "You can bring a horse to the river, but cannot force the horse to drink". I am not an American but I think you are. So maybe you can suggest something here. The Chinese government is eager to see constructive criticism/suggestion that could help China integrate with the world because this benefits everyone. Americans are known to rally for things they feel strongly about so maybe this is something you can do to convince others to read widely.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.