Author: esoteriksky

Democracy in Hong Kong? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2010-1-27 15:48:56 |Display all floors

Hong Kong holds democracy protest

Thousands of people have taken to the streets in Hong Kong to demand full democracy in the semi-autonomous Chinese territory.

Police said some 4,600 people took part in the New Year's Day protest on Friday, which saw demonstrators marching to the Chinese government's liaison office, chanting "one man, one vote to choose our leader".

Democracy is promised in Hong Kong's constitution, but the Chinese government ruled in 2007 that the territory cannot directly elect its leader until 2017 and its legislature until 2020.

The former British colony returned to Chinese rule in 1997, but has a separate political system that promises Western-style civil liberties.

Resignation plan

Five pro-democracy legislators plan to resign later this month, hoping to turn the special elections they will trigger into a referendum on democracy.

Some politicians in Hong Kong's are attempting to reignite the local democracy movement, which has been overshadowed of late by economic issues.

Hong Kong's parliament is partly elected by citizens. A block of of seats is chosen by business and professional groups, giving the council a conservative, pro-China bias.

"I think that it is time for Hong Kong people to directly demonstrate to our leaders in Beijing that we really want 'one man, one vote'," Alan Leong, a legislative councillor, told Al Jazeera.

Political heat

Al Jazeera's Rob McBride, reporting from Hong Kong, said: "Despite the odds being stacked against them, democratic groups are vowing to turn up the political heat in 2010.

"They want to force Beijing to grant full democracy by the time this city celebrates 2020."

Joseph Fung, one of the participants in Friday's protest, said: "Hong Kong should get democracy sooner. The sophistication, the worldliness of Hong Kong people has already reached the level where universal suffrage can be allowed".

At their peak, pro-democracy protests in Hong Kong drew hundreds of thousands of people, with half a million marching in July 2003 to protest against a national security bill.

The New Year's day pro-democracy rally has now become traditional.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-1-27 16:02:03 |Display all floors
Originally posted by cestmoi at 2010-1-27 10:11

Hong Kong's future is guaranteed by Beijing, whether you people like it or not.

Hong Kong needs to look to China for its future, it has never been able to look  to the whites for anything by cruelty and regrets.

Do you have to talk about sovereignty without mentioning racism? Have you been bullied by the whites that made you feel the cruelty?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-1-27 16:07:25 |Display all floors
Originally posted by communistsec at 2010-1-27 15:40

Well said bro.

Your first post tells us that you will be a good contributor. We need more and more posters like you. Keep up the good work.

Indians here come to bash Chi ...

Thank you.
I don't know the posters--- esxxxx or longxxx  Indians or not. I just focus on the matter not the nationalities.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-1-27 17:52:47 |Display all floors
I'm a HK citizen.  I don't think the 5 legislators's resignations will pressure Beijing to hold direct elections sooner. And I'm not eager to have direct elections like they're. I'm not their fans.

A month or so ago, I didn't decide to vote if the government will arrange for special elections for the empty seats.But after a few incidents(cross-border arrest at Lo Wu, the senior Tsang Hin Tse's comments) and Beijing's tightening up mainlanders' freedom of speech on internet and Mr Feng ZF was blocked to get back home to Shanghai, I think I'll go to vote one of them except Longhair, Chan and Wong. If I go to vote, it's not for supporting the pan-democracy parties, but for expressing my sympathy for those mainlanders. I know it's not logical and rational but it's how those incidents made me like that.

[ Last edited by oldenough at 2010-1-27 05:54 PM ]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-1-27 18:17:54 |Display all floors
Originally posted by esoteriksky at 2010-1-27 15:48
Thousands of people have taken to the streets in Hong Kong to demand full democracy in the semi-autonomous Chinese territory.

Police said some 4,600 people took part in the New Year's Day protes ...

At least something can be said of British rule of the colony.......which incidently, built HK. The PRC sure as hell didn't!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-1-27 20:37:16 |Display all floors
Yes without a doubt Hong Kong is the most progressive and advanced part of China , and this is no surprise.....

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-1-27 20:42:26 |Display all floors
Originally posted by esoteriksky at 2010-1-27 20:37
Yes without a doubt Hong Kong is the most progressive and advanced part of China , and this is no surprise.....

You agree that they progress without western style democrazy

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.