Views: 10774|Replies: 8

hesitancy v.s. hesitation [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2009-10-19 17:05:16 |Display all floors
who can tell me the difference between "hesitancy " and "hesitation"? plz do not only post the definitions from dictionaries! its better to give examples. Thanks a lot!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-11-7 09:00:48 |Display all floors
My take:

Both nouns appear to have the same meaning - but differ in the way they are used in spoken and written English.  It really depends on the other words in the clause or statement you use.

John is not known for his hesitancy when it comes to helping.
Mary had no hestation in recommending you for promotion.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-11-7 23:29:33 |Display all floors
oh
I see
Beautiful tomorrows begin today.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-3-22 02:52:33 |Display all floors

hesitation vs. hesitancy

I'm not an expert, but I read terryfoy's reply as:

Hesitation is an action (or more precisely, a lack of action).
Hesitancy is a feeling, perhaps a personality trait (if the person does this a lot).

So the meanings indeed seem quite close.  You could accuse someone of hesitancy, but it would be silly to accuse them of hesitation: hesitation is an established fact; true or false; they either hesitated or they didn't.  Another way to look at it: hesitancy produces hesitation, but hesitation never produces hesitancy.

Terry Allen

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-6-20 15:19:33 |Display all floors
My opinion:

Hesitancy is more about the concept and "timeless" use of this idea and is therefore more useful for abstraction
hesitation is more concrete.

(something that some people do often in English and miss when we speak Chinese - although Chinese does have other devices which are not present in English).

So I can say "hesitancy in thought" as an abstraction meaning somebody thinks slowly or their "train of thought" is in some way intermittent

Since the use of "hesitancy" often signals to the reader/listener abstraction its more commonly found in written English or literature. Spoken it might be found in a speech or used my "pretentious"/eloquent speakers (depending upon the situation and which "side of the fence" you are on).

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-6-21 12:25:39 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-6-21 13:10:36 |Display all floors
Hesitation is hesitancy in action in the form of inaction.
Elly-Kim-Hong-Elly-Tran-Ha-602.jpg
The bluest of all souls

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.