Views: 2871|Replies: 6

'GWEILOS' SALUTE CHINA [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2009-9-30 15:48:03 |Display all floors

I would like this thread to be devoted only to us, the foreign regulars at China Daily, to salute China and The Chinese People on their 60th Anniversary.

Beside honest salute and best wishes in my name, in the name of my family, the Jewish People and the People of Israel, I chose to publish an honest opinion (not an ass kissing one) from one of our most respected leaders, our present President of the State of Israel, Mr. Shimon Peres.

Last February during a meeting of the World Economic Forum, Shimon was asked for his views on “Chinese Empire” and this is what he had to say (and this, is nothing but my free translation of his speech):

China isn't an empire.

China is a continent in and of itself: it is size, it is history, it is traditions, it is culture and it is language.

China occupies 4 percent of the world's land and Russia controls 8 percent, but Russia's population numbers only 142 million, whereas China has nine or 10 times that.

The Chinese are "running business" very well. It's a vast country that's advancing all the time. When Gorbachev took power in the Soviet Union, he decided on glasnost and perestroika, to secure his political freedom and to protect his economy from the top. The Chinese say, let's make the economy freer and maintain political supervision. In the Chinese case, it's working….. Gorbachev's model wasn't a remarkable success.

One of our diplomats told me that the Chinese seem to have the best breed of politicians. That, ladies and gentlemen, that is what I call, a real meritocracy.

Historically speaking, China has no religious hierarchy. Instead there was an administrative hierarchy of mandarins and kings. There are no gods in China, no “one” teacher.

What they have, is self-discipline and control. They definitely have done wonders. They have reduced hunger. Mao Zedong reduced poverty. That, ladies and gentlemen, that isn't simple.

I have no doubt that in some places there might be dissatisfaction. But historically speaking, China is very restrained. It isn't aggressive, it didn't conquer anything, the opposite, China was a victim of conquest.

If everybody are thinking alike ...... then ...... nobody is THINKING.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-9-30 16:17:55 |Display all floors
Better say Deng Xiaoping reduced poverty la. GWEILOS
(caringhk's style)
Vision without action is illusion---Y.J.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-9-30 16:39:07 |Display all floors

It's Ok with me Amy

If everybody are thinking alike ...... then ...... nobody is THINKING.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-9-30 22:47:19 |Display all floors

Thank-you

Usually we Chinese only get arrogant put-downs, this time something different.
Let the dice fly high

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-9-30 23:11:30 |Display all floors

what sorta NONsense is this...

chinese national day is for chinese ONLY and i dont think anybody else would care much or less about it (salute or not is your personal preferences)  

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-9-30 23:15:58 |Display all floors

Thank you

Despite our differences.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-9-30 23:16:35 |Display all floors
Well done, rrhonda!    

China is indeed a grand old lady and worthy of praise.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.