Author: ichiban

Is the Death Sentence wrong? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2009-9-22 16:59:40 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-9-22 19:30:16 |Display all floors
What is"unethical"? And when?

It all depends on the civilization progress and the resources situation of one country to decide whether to put the very dangerous criminal to death or separate him/her from the rest for a long period. If the country is very lack of resources to feed or guard this dangerous criminal, I don't think it's unethical to put him/her to death. Otherwise it'd be unethical for depleting the resources on a dangerous persons while the resources can use on others.

I agree that some developed countries should not implement death sentence on the ethical principle.

About vengeance, keeping a person in prison for a long period is also a kind of vengeance if there's no way of "reforming" him/her.

As for those who believe that no one should have the right to take away other's life. Again, I can agrue that no one should have the right to take away one's freedom.

What if some who had killed before and was released from prison, because he had the right to be free as quoted above.
Then shortly after he killed some innocent person. Would the same rule apply, that people should be free?

/Users/bodeoluwa/Desktop/SpeedyGonzales.jpg

Use magic tools Report

Gold Medal

Post time 2009-9-22 19:34:18 |Display all floors
Originally posted by plugandplay at 2009-9-22 17:59

I think you will have a lot of emotions running through your body when you have to tie the knot with your own hands.

I believe the 'knot' comes prefabricated. All U have to do is to push a button and the door in the floor opens automatically.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-9-22 19:38:56 |Display all floors

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-9-22 19:54:28 |Display all floors
Originally posted by amyamy at 2009-9-22 03:43
What is"unethical"? And when?

It all depends on the civilization progress and the resources situation of one country to decide whether to put the very dangerous criminal to death or separate him/her from the rest for a long period. If the country is very lack of resources to feed or guard this dangerous criminal, I don't think it's unethical to put him/her to death. Otherwise it'd be unethical for depleting the resources on a dangerous persons while the resources can use on others.

I agree that some developed countries should not implement death sentence on the ethical principle.

About vengeance, keeping a person in prison for a long period is also a kind of vengeance if there's no way of "reforming" him/her.

As for those who believe that no one should have the right to take away other's life. Again, I can agrue that no one should have the right to take away one's freedom.

I agree

Some crimes are so heinous that a death sentence is appropriate

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-9-22 19:55:39 |Display all floors

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-9-22 20:02:09 |Display all floors
Originally posted by plugandplay at 2009-9-22 19:38
Hey !

It is forbidden for all vehicles to cross an intersection at red light !

Right!

Now - to get even with those violators or to neutralize the crime - the police could decide to cross a ...

I totally get what you said in your last post, it makes sense.

Lets try another scenario, a criminal holds up a bank, he has a gun and has already killed an innocent person.
Someone you know personally has also been held up in the bank.  
The criminal is prepared to go out fighting, as he does not want to go back to prison.

The police arrive, they also have guns... Bigger guns and more people.

What should the police do to prevent anyone else getting killed, including at someone that you know.

Should the police drop their guns and beg the criminal to stop or should they take the appropriate action.

I'm also going to play devil's advocate here.

How to you tell the parents of a little 10 year old girl that has been raped and murdered by a criminal that, his guy still has the same freedoms as everyone else.

Its a very complex debate, and it involves so many levels and personal feelings.

Its good hear peoples opinions it it though.

:):)
/Users/bodeoluwa/Desktop/SpeedyGonzales.jpg

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.