Views: 3503|Replies: 5

Electric Vehicles [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2009-8-13 13:43:31 |Display all floors
I'm interested in knowing your impressions of electric vehicles and how it can be beneficial to Chinese cities.
How can the infrastructure be changed slightly to accommodate them (they need charging facilities).
What do you see as the pros and cons of EV's?
Discuss!
"Finch...stay away from that Ficus! That's a jizz-free Ficus."- Steve Stiffler

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-8-13 13:46:53 |Display all floors
I say Chinese cities because I live here, and Asian cities in general due to the population density and the shorter overall travel distances that a vehicle need to achieve daily. This technology is also applicable to ANY short commute kind of transportation.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-8-16 09:03:11 |Display all floors
How clean is Chinese gasoline and how fuel efficient is a new car in China?

China isn't the first world: shifting from ICE to EV isn't a guaranteed win because the power source for the EV isn't necessarily cleaner. If China had better electrical infrastructure, it could work out in smog reduction because  power generation could be sited very far away. Of course, China has the population density to make that... not so great... there aren't many places with workforce access where "far away" isn't close to someone else.....
"Justice prevails... evil justice."

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-8-16 09:05:41 |Display all floors
Electric cars are useless without a clean source of energy to power them from.

Whats the point of making electric cars if they are from coal stations? China could benefit a lot from more Green energy, and has the land and resources to do it.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-8-16 12:37:01 |Display all floors
I see your point, but maybe the actual Shanghai SMOG would be less if more people used EV's.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-8-20 16:50:59 |Display all floors
Originally posted by tomcampbell at 2009-8-16 10:05
Electric cars are useless without a clean source of energy to power them from.

Whats the point of making electric cars if they are from coal stations? China could benefit a lot from more Green e ...

Nuclear, Hydro, Solar and Wind power is considered clean.
However, efficiency of electric cars is multiple to that of liquid fuel, but seldom mentioned.
For example, I’m driving a 3KW scooter with  sunroof. During lunch, parking outside It’ll recharge the Lithium batteries  via its solar cells  by as much as 30%.
Taking Shenzhen own green car policy as an example, if a  Shenzhen resident planned to buy the 149,800rmb BYD F3 Dual Mode car in Shenzhen, then the city government would give the consumer a 60% subsidy, making the car nearly 90,000rmb, a fantastic saving. Currently, the USA offers a 20% subsidy.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.