Author: helper4u3

Development on Chinese Passport [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2009-5-20 05:12:20 |Display all floors
Originally posted by ganzhuolin at 2009-5-20 03:29
Partially true. it's also the reason why many Chinese can't travel; not because they're being denied permission from their government (which is the popular lie) but because foreign governments refuse to grant them visas!  (which is the truth these western governments prefer not to talk about)...

If a Chinese, American or British  tourist has $1000 in their wallet and a one-way ticket to Australia, you can be guaranteed he'll be turned back on arrival.

If a Chinese tourist has a hundred dollars in his wallet, a credit card with access to more money, a return ticket and a job to go to back home, then he will have no problem getting a visa for a Western country.

Partially true. it's also the reason why many Chinese can't travel; not because they're being denied permission from their government (which is the popular lie) but because foreign governments refuse to grant them visas!  (which is the truth these western governments prefer not to talk about)...

That's no secret. Incoming visitors who are unable to support themselves for their intended stay are an overstay risk. I have been quizzed on arrival in Britain, as to whether I had enough money for my stay. My brother was refused a US visa for Hawaii (25 years ago) when he'd returned from working in PNG, had divorced and was unemployed.  We had to get a reference from our local politician before the US consulate would grant the visa.

What nonsense! The Chinese are allowed to travel freely by their government! And that's the plain and simple truth!  I have many friends who have traveled overseas and others planning to do so....

What about the Hukou system, has it been abandoned entirely ?

[ Last edited by emucentral at 2009-5-20 07:36 PM ]
"他不是救星, 他是一个非常淘气男孩" - Monty Python

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-5-20 17:37:54 |Display all floors
Originally posted by augusten at 2009-5-19 23:31
Those called "application", dummy, not permit.
It's not permit, dummy. It's ordinary registration and information to go to Hongkong. ...

OK, so why don't I need to do such "application" or "ordinary registration and information" to go to HK ?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-5-20 17:56:00 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-5-20 22:43:15 |Display all floors

I'm no expert so...

Originally posted by emucentral at 2009-5-20 05:12

If a Chinese, American or British  tourist has $1000 in their wallet and a one-way ticket to Australia, you can be guaranteed he'll be turned back on arrival.

If a Chinese tourist has a hundre ...

"If a Chinese, American or British  tourist has $1000 in their wallet and a one-way ticket to Australia, you can be guaranteed he'll be turned back on arrival.

If a Chinese tourist has a hundred dollars in his wallet, a credit card with access to more money, a return ticket and a job to go to back home, then he will have no problem getting a visa for a Western country."

As i said it's all $$$$$. That's standard procedure of many western governments with particular attention paid to people from 3rd world countries.  But the above situation suggests that a visa has already been granted. Where that is concerned the policy of many western embassies is to ask how much money one has (and proof) before they even consider granting you a visa. This is also directed mainly to people of 3rd world countries. $$$$$$$$$$$ is the bottom line...

"That's no secret. Incoming visitors who are unable to support themselves for their intended stay are an overstay risk. I have been quizzed on arrival in Britain, as to whether I had enough money for my stay. My brother was refused a US visa for Hawaii (25 years ago) when he'd returned from working in PNG, had divorced and was unemployed.  We had to get a reference from our local politician before the US consulate would grant the visa."

That too is standard policy. 'That's no secret' you say. Then, knowing of all these overseas restrictions why this claim from you that the Chinese are denied travel by their own government? Why do you continue to believe that? Why has your media (or government) not enlightened you, especially in the case of China...? Why have they not told you that the restrictions are of their own making?

"What about the Hukou system, has it been abandoned entirely ?"

i'm no expert on that. I can only say that I've had friends and know people who travel freely all over China with no trouble whatsoever either looking for jobs, or already have one lined up. In fact a couple I know moved to Beijing recently with new job offers. Think about this rationally for a second: With the millions of farmers going to the cities looking for work do you seriously think they all registered with the local PSB and had places to stay etc.? I wouldn't think so but maybe some hukou expert can answer that.

China is the most rapid;y changing country in the world today.  The problem is that too many westerners either don't see it or don't want to see it. This is especially true of the western media. They are trapped in a time warp going back to the 50's and 60's. While they assess and judge China based on that the Chinese are merrily soldiering on making their iives and their country better and stronger. And yes there are westerners who resent that progress and will find fault with everything the Chinese do and then try to justify it with their 50's and 60's time warped mentality...

Westerners who do well in China and have many friends tend to have an open mind, are not afraid to learn and have no hidden agenda. The westerners who bitch and complain are the ones trapped in a time warp, have some agenda and despise the Chinese because the Chinese refuse to do things the way they think the Chinese ought to do it...and that is the other bottom line...

[ Last edited by ganzhuolin at 2009-5-20 10:52 PM ]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-5-21 19:13:02 |Display all floors
Originally posted by ganzhuolin at 2009-5-21 00:43
That too is standard policy. 'That's no secret' you say. Then, knowing of all these overseas restrictions why this claim from you that the Chinese are denied travel by their own government? ...

I am not saying that Chinese citizens are "denied" travel by their government, just that they are treated differently to how westerners are treated by their own governments.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-5-21 20:08:14 |Display all floors

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-5-21 20:10:59 |Display all floors

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.