Views: 6143|Replies: 9

apples and oranges [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2009-2-1 13:42:35 |Display all floors
from Desperate Housewives

Restaurant
Baby Penny sits in a high chair while Lynette has lunch with Natalie.

Natalie: "This is fun. It’s forever since we had lunch."
Lynette: "Well, as happy as I am to see you, I actually have an agenda. I ran into someone last week who said you guys were looking to hire. Is that true?"
Natalie: "Yeah. Are you thinking of coming back? Because say the word -"
Lynette: "No, no, not me. I was actually thinking more about Tom."
Natalie: "Oh, Tom?"
Lynette: "Yeah, he’s been thinking about making a move for a while. He kind of feels like he’s done everything he can where he is now."
Natalie: "Huh. Well Tom's certainly solid."
Lynette: "He’s more then solid, Tom’s ideas are spectacular. He’s passionate about his work. His visual instincts are off the chart."
Natalie: "Is he as good as you?"
Lynette: "He’s apples, I’m oranges, we excel in different areas. Trust me, you should give Tom a look."
Natalie: "I don’t need apples. I need someone like you. Cut throat. Ruthless."
Lynette: "Geez, Nat, you make me feel like some kind of shark. Ah, okay. You know, actually, if that’s the kind of exec you’re looking for..."
Natalie: "You’d get a shark for me?"
Lynette: "Yes, a very pretty shark."

Natalie is Lynette's former associate. Lynette had kids to TLC so she quit and became a full time housewive.
Her hubby Tom is working with his ex-girlfriend in the same company. Lynette feels their marriage will be on the rock.
Lynette wants Natalie to give Tom a job.

Question:
Why are apples and oranges so different? They are fruits any way.

"compare apples and oranges" is an expression that means 'to compare two things that simply cannot be compared'.
sample: That's ridiculous. Now you're comparing apples and oranges.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-2-1 15:36:43 |Display all floors
you're comparing apples and oranges.
你在把风马牛不相及的事混为一谈。

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-2-1 16:02:12 |Display all floors
why apples and oranges so different? they are equally fruits.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-2-1 16:13:00 |Display all floors
Originally posted by leebohua at 2009-2-1 16:02
why apples and oranges so different? they are equally fruits.

Horses  and oxen are both domestic mammals. Why are they so different?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-2-1 17:42:51 |Display all floors
Originally posted by edward_lee at 2009-2-1 16:13

Horses  and oxen are both domestic mammals. Why are they so different?

This I can answer.

据《左传·僖公四年》载:“四年春,齐侯以诸侯之师侵蔡,蔡溃,遂伐楚。楚子使与师言曰:‘君处北海,寡人处南海,唯是风马牛不相及也,不虞君涉吾地,何故’?”这段话的意思是说:鲁僖公四年的春天,齐桓公凭借各诸侯国的军队进攻蔡国,蔡国溃败后,接着又进攻楚国,楚成王派屈完为使者,对齐军说,你们居住在大老远的北方,我们楚国在遥远的南方,相距很远,即使是像马和牛与同类发生相诱而互相追逐的事,也跑不到对方的境内去,没想到你们竟然进入我们楚国的领地,这是为什么?“风”在这里是作动词讲的,意思是“放逸、走失”,一说是兽类雌雄相诱叫“风”,因马与牛不同类,不会相诱。这里是形容齐楚两地相距甚远,马、牛不会走失至对方境内。与此相类似的还有一种解释,《古文观止》:牛走顺风,马走逆风,喻齐楚不相干也。后世则以“风马牛不相及、风马牛、风马不接、风马、风牛”等比喻事物之间毫不相干。

I want to know the story behind 'apples and oranges'. Thanks!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-2-1 18:07:59 |Display all floors
I got this from urbandictionary.com.

apples to oranges  30 up, 7 down
An unresolvable and ultimately useless comparison.

A comparison which is just as easy to support as it is to contest.

Something which is both the same and different simultaneously depending on your point of view.

alt. *Apples to Apples*--Though not the initial meaning, occasionally the phrase "apples to oranges" is used to dismiss a "distinct difference" noted between two things which are not distinctly different. IE the neverending opinion wars often attributed to brand-loyalty. These are based on imaginary chasms of vast differences which cannot be proven or conclusively settled. IN other words these things are not really very different, but people desperately want to believe they are.
When someone says "you're comparing apples to oranges" they're really saying "Why are you trying to compare those things? You can't compare apples to oranges, they're just not the same thing."

They're both sweet. They're both fruit. They're both the same. But they're not. One's an apple, and one's an orange. Is that all there is to it? One tastes better. No it doesn't. Yes it does. How do you decide which one everyone likes more? How *can* you decide?

A great example of silly apples to oranges is vanilla and chocolate.

Invalid apples to oranges comparisons would be like comparing Bush or Clinton to Lincoln, Jefferson, or Washington. You can't, so don't.

Examples of useless "nonexistant-vast-differences" apples to oranges comparisons are Macs and PC's, Fords and Chevys, Nikons and Canons.. In reality this is mostly "apples to apples" comparison.

Apples to oranges usually ends with each person believing or feeling whatever they do and leaving it at that. That's all there is to it. Neither can really ever be better or worse, and nobody can win the argument.

In the end, the whole point of making the comparison is to illustrate: there is really no point in making the comparison.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

It seems 'don't compare apples and oranges' cannot be rated as 风马牛不相及. ‘他是他,我是我’(Tom is Tom, me is me, you really don't need to make comparision).

Use magic tools Report

Medal of honor

Post time 2009-2-1 22:54:24 |Display all floors

没有可比性

当然不等于完全不可比。

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.