Views: 2962|Replies: 6

Michelle Obama's dress made by Chinese designer [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2009-1-24 18:48:44 |Display all floors
Jason Wu, 26, born in Taiwan and based in Manhattan was the designer of First-Lady Michelle Obama's Inauguration dress.
The dress is to be donated to the Smithsonian Institute.
Congrats to Jason!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-1-30 00:48:48 |Display all floors

He is a liar. The demon is a liar. He will lie to confuse us.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-1-30 03:32:56 |Display all floors

I Shake My Head

I am shocked and awed by the housewife-y garb that MO is wearing to all these occasions.

Take that ball gown.  ANY of the gowns worn by the many Chinese singers during the CCTV New Year show would have been more appropriate.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-1-30 03:54:44 |Display all floors

idea is to promote small unheard of designers...

an excerpt from the seatle times as follows:

Nordstrom hopes to strike gold with Jason Wu collection
By Amy Martinez

Seattle Times business reporter

Few people were happier than Jennifer Wheeler to learn that first lady Michelle Obama had chosen a white chiffon one-shoulder gown by 26-year-old New York designer Jason Wu for last week's inaugural balls.

Wheeler, a Nordstrom VP who oversees women's designer apparel, took a chance on Wu several months earlier when she struck a deal to carry his spring 2009 collection at select stores.

The Taiwanese-born Wu was then a virtual unknown, but his collection arrives Wednesday at the flagship Nordstrom store in downtown Seattle with the buzz that only a celebrity can generate.

The collection won't include Obama's inaugural gown: It's a one-of-a-kind and headed for the Smithsonian.

But Wu also made a sleeveless silk dress Obama wore for a TV interview with Barbara Walters last fall, and it'll be available at the downtown Nordstrom for $3,510.

The rest of the collection ranges in price from $3,000 to $6,000 for evening gowns and $1,000 to $4,000 for day dresses.

"They're just pretty," Wheeler said. "You look at them and think, 'OK, I would feel beautiful wearing his clothes.' "

If the first lady turns out to be the style icon many perceive her to be, Nordstrom is positioned to take advantage.

The downtown store also carries the Cuban-American designer Isabel Toledo, who made the yellow dress-and-coat ensemble Obama wore to the swearing-in ceremony.

For those who can afford it, Toledo offers a silk sailor dress for $2,200 or a black lace column gown for $2,640.

Certainly, Obama's nods to Wu and Toledo are no guarantee Nordstrom shoppers will drop large sums of money for their clothes, especially in a bad economy, but Wheeler said she's thrilled by the publicity.

For now, at least, it appears a lucky break for Seattle-based Nordstrom. It, like most retailers, could use a boost after a tough holiday sales season.

"It was exciting for our industry ... the fact that she seems to take an interest in fashion and wears American designers," Wheeler said of Obama. "Exposure is always great for any designer."
jason wu.jpg

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-1-30 03:59:59 |Display all floors

spices it up a knotch...

n exceprt from NYdailynews as follows:

By Lee Hernández

Wednesday, October 8th 2008, 9:27 AM

Handschuh/News
Cuban-American designer Isabel Toledo.

When Barack Obama’s wife, Michelle, wore an elegant black tunic and palazzo pants to a Calvin Klein fund-raiser in Manhattan last June, Isabel Toledo swooned.

“Michelle really wanted to be sophisticated, and she did it,” says the Cuban-American designer.

“Graphically, she was a visual message that read, ‘I’m in control.’”

Toledo should know — she designed the set.

“She could’ve worn anybody,” a flattered Toledo, 47, said in her spacious, sunbathed loft on Broadway and 28th St.

“But she chose to wear a dress made by a Latina, and made in the U.S. So she chose to support the industry here.”

Toledo didn’t design the dress specifically for Michelle Obama, nor did she sell it directly to her.

Obama bought it at Ikram, a Chicago store that sells Toledo’s clothes.

“I was so honored to hear that she’s a fan,” said Toledo. “Think of it, this girl from West New York, N.J., is designing a dress worn by the possible next First Lady,” she says, crossing her fingers.

“I’m in the White House! Well, I’m in the closet of the White House,” she jokes.

Toledo said she was recently contacted by Obama’s representatives, but out of respect for her privacy she wouldn’t say specifically what she’s working on.

“I have sent her a lot of things to wear on the road,” she allows.

Last month, Toledo became the third recipient of the Couture Council Award for Artistry of Fashion from the Museum at the Fashion Institute of Technology, her alma mater.

She just designed costumes for the Wheeldon Company’s new ballet, “Morphoses,” and next spring, she’ll unveil the exhibit “Holy Toledo!” — a celebration of her 25 years in the industry.

Born Isabel Izquierdo in Cuba where she lived until the age of 8, Toledo grew up in West New York and attended Memorial High School, where she met her husband, the artist Rubén Toledo.

They married in 1984 and settled in Manhattan.

She spent the next decade designing and doing fashion shows, which she doesn’t do anymore.

“Before the shows were more intimate, they were about the clothes — not about who was sitting in the front-row seats,” she says.

But in 25 years in the business, Toledo admits, her work has changed, too.

“It used to be more industrial,” she says. “It has become much more intricate and handmade.”
isabel toledo.jpg

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-1-30 04:32:46 |Display all floors

another idea is 2 give somebody a chance...

to give the not so famous designers a chance to prove who they really are just like her husband, Barack Obama but not about chinese or cuban designer...and i'm glad that the chinese dude made it on the list  

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-1-30 05:32:15 |Display all floors

the idea is 2 promote small business owners...

but not the world well known famous designers...i think i could deal with that for a change especially no big money no can do  
jason wu.jpg

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.