Author: yasawakic

300 000 babies sick with melamine!!! [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2008-12-3 20:04:16 |Display all floors

Obsessive behavior .

This melamine affair was initially the doings of SANLU company ; a 47% NZ & 53% Chinese enterprise . Both parties deliberately and consciously used massive amounts of melamine to artificially boost the protein content of the milk product . I do not subscribe that the NZ partner is unaware or innocent .

The Chinese government does have an authority to sample food standards but it is practically impossible to be perfect with the vast amounts of items manufactured in China . SANLU should have these data for their own information . Why did they carry on for months without detecting or changing the practice ?

I am saying that the Chinese government , on the very first opportunity in obtaining the data , set everything in train to stop the production , recalled all products , publicized and offered free medical check ups for every child involved , treated all of them and is continuing the follow-up examinations . This is transparent , responsible and proper conduct of a good government .

Instead of some compliment , I hear detractors still trumpeting imagined defect , delayed response ......This is the hallmark of those lemon sucking brigade of Chinese bashing .

These latest data need not be published if the government is keen to cover up . Who else would have these figures if not for the government ?

This exercise of obsessive bashing will have to stop ; for your sake .It will make you go blind .

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-12-3 20:20:25 |Display all floors
Originally posted by mengzhi at 2008-12-3 22:04
This melamine affair was initially the doings of SANLU company ; a 47% NZ & 53% Chinese enterprise . Both parties deliberately and consciously used massive amounts of melamine to artificially boost the protein content of the milk product . I do not subscribe that the NZ partner is unaware or innocent ....

Mangy, you really are unbefukkinglievable.
There have been NO reports that Sanlu deliberately added Melamine.
This was done by suppliers to Sanlu (and other dairy companies).
When the reports of sick children came in, Sanlu's crime was not to recall the products and report the problem. The NZ part owner, Fontera, heard about the problems and told the Sanlu board to recall the products and inform the authorities. Sanlu refused to act so Fontera told the NZ government who informed Beijing who then acted (well after the Olympics were out of the way).

Not even China Daily has suggested that the NZ partner had anything to do with this.

You are making all this shyte up because you don't want to believe the facts.
"他不是救星, 他是一个非常淘气男孩" - Monty Python

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-12-4 11:41:56 |Display all floors

New level of spin !!

Originally posted by emucentral at 2008-12-3 20:20

There have been NO reports that Sanlu deliberately added Melamine.
This was done by suppliers to Sanlu (and other dairy companies).

Matey mate ,

You have just elevated your forked-tongue speak to a new level of mythology . Sanlu is a brand name and company . Their own administrators determine what go into ( and what do not ) their products . Following so far ? Their suppliers of melamine deliver this chemical in bulk ( say 50 kgm bags mainly for plastic manufacture ). You are not spinning a yarn to the forum that a quantity equivalent to 2-3,000 times the permissible levels of melamine could have gone into their milk formula without the owners knowing about it ? You are tricky mate , you are tricky . But juvenile . Try again .

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-12-4 12:31:08 |Display all floors
Originally posted by mengzhi at 2008-12-4 11:41

Matey mate ,

You have just elevated your forked-tongue speak to a new level of mythology . Sanlu is a brand name and company . Their own administrators determine what go into ( and what do n ...

Are you contradicting the official findings of the government?

That's not like you?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-12-4 12:46:05 |Display all floors
Originally posted by mengzhi at 2008-12-4 13:41
You are not spinning a yarn to the forum that a quantity equivalent to 2-3,000 times the permissible levels of melamine could have gone into their milk formula without the owners knowing about it ?..

As boring says, the official findings say otherwise.

The thing about the melamine is that it "tricks" the normal protein tests done on milk to make the manufacturer (Sanlu et al) think the milk is normal strength.

I lived on a dairy farm for nearly 20 years. When the tanker collected the milk, the driver measured the volume of milk and saved a small proportion in a test bottle to determine the "butterfat" & protein content back at the factory. That was to ensure that the milk wasn't watered down to increase volume (which is what the milk suppliers to Sanlu were doing).
You water down the milk to add volume, but you are paid on butterfat (or protein) content.
Milk suppliers/collectors added water to apparently increase volume, but this would be found out through the protein testing. So they added Melamine to "trick" the protein testing procedure into thinking the milk was not diluted.

There is every reason for suppliers/collectors (middlemen) to add water for volume and add melamine to maintain apparent protein. There's less reason for Sanlu to do so.

The problem came about because the normal butterfat and protein testing regimens didn't detect melamine, presumably because nobody thought that anyone in their right mind would be adding it to milk and the usual milking equipment doesn't contain melamine in contact with the milk.

Use magic tools Report

Medal Medal of honor Gold Medal July's Best Writer 2012 October's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2008-12-4 12:54:24 |Display all floors

Hey Guys

I am not taking sides here and please don't blast me if I get this wrong.

As I understood it.  Independant farmers have cows.  Cows make milk and the farmers collect it from the cow.

It is then contracted to Sanlu.  Sanlu tests it for the protein level and if it passes the farmer gets paid.

However, some farmers were adding Melamine and water to make the quantity of the milk bigger = more money.

Sanlu were only tesing for protein level and the melamine made it pass this.

Sanlu went on to make dairy products = problem.

I do not see the government involved in this untill it went wrong. Now they know that they are involved and have to regulate.

Sanlu are at fault whoever they are owned by for not having more tests other than just protein.

The farmers are at fault for being greedy.

Please, on inspecting the above help me to understand what is different so that I discuss this better.

Thanks Guys.  :)

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-12-4 14:29:45 |Display all floors
Originally posted by expatter at 2008-12-4 14:54
Hey Guys

I am not taking sides here and please don't blast me if I get this wrong.

As I understood it. ...Sanlu tests it for the protein level and if it passes the farmer gets paid.

However, some farmers were adding Melamine and water to make the quantity of the milk bigger = more money.

Sanlu were only tesing for protein level and the melamine made it pass this.

Sanlu are at fault whoever they are owned by for not having more tests other than just protein.

The farmers are at fault for being greedy.

Please, on inspecting the above help me to understand what is different so that I discuss this better.

Expatter, it sometimes appears more complicated than it is, or it is more complicated than it appears !!!

Basically you draw the right conclusions in your summary with some qualifications;

The farmers (or the milk collector middlemen) are plainly and simply wrong for adding melamine, there is no excuse for that. It is fraud and it has turned out to have deadly results.

Sanlu's testing procedure for a product one would never expect to be in milk (up until then) can be condoned however the subsequent coverup and reluctance to recall tainted products is definitely wrong, there's no justification there.

Any "delay" in taking action until after the Olympics (as has been alleged) is also wrong.

Mengzhi is wrong and in error to blame Sanlu for adding the melamine. There have been no suggestions the company did that deliberately. Where they were wrong is in not acting sooner when reports surfaced last year.

Milk testing in China is almost certainly going to include detecting for melamine and similar chemicals.
As we know there are many middlemen in the dairy industry totally free of scruples, any dairy company who does not test for melamine is falling short in their duty of care.

Cheers
JB

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.