Author: zhoupu

How do you say 'ganbei' in English? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2008-9-24 17:28:24 |Display all floors
Originally posted by seneca at 2008-9-12 20:05
I wish those students were also taught not to 'ganbei' every time they elect to lift their glass; outisde of China it is totally unusual for people to follow the lead of others in downing booze. Yo ...

I agree. I like to drink some liquor when I am pleased. But sometimes I have to be drunk, or I would be considered not very honest and foursquare.

I have trained a good capacity of liquor out of myself in college. In China if you are doing something related with people instead of things, you must drink liquor well.
[url=http://www.chinahdtv.org/promotionlink.php?key=24856e9c0fb449bb9366b526cbeb40dc][img]http://www.chinahdtv.org/pic/prolink.png[/img][/url]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-9-24 17:30:15 |Display all floors
Originally posted by zhoupu at 2008-9-12 09:37
How to offer a toast in English at a banquet was a test question on this year's examination for young prefecture and county level officials in Guangdong province.

The examination took place in S ...

Cheers, BOTTOM UPs, TOAST  or YAMSENG or ECK in german

[ Last edited by caringhk at 2008-9-24 05:32 PM ]
What's on your mind now........ooooooooooooooo la la....Kind Regards

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-9-24 18:50:38 |Display all floors
"Down the hatch" and "sukaduhpiss"(oz) may also be encountered.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-9-24 19:01:20 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-9-24 19:16:33 |Display all floors

Hehe...

I taught a lady the phrase "bottoms up" and she said "bottom up"; I also taught her "happy birthday" but she said it with her cute accent, but to her guests it was "happy breast day"!

Anyway, anybody knows how to say the other ganbei 干贝 in English? Thanks ;-)!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-9-24 20:36:57 |Display all floors

Reply #25 peterb's post

Yep, in NZ it's down the hatch, or "look out tummy, look out toes, look out lips, there she goes".

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-9-24 21:17:19 |Display all floors
Originally posted by exportedkiwi at 2008-9-24 20:36
Yep, in NZ it's down the hatch, or "look out tummy, look out toes, look out lips, there she goes".

Actually, "sukaduhpiss" is, these days, more confined to the more brusque outback pubs.

Like the colourful Oz-English, though.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.