Author: horacetwest

Anti-chinese propaganda by ARD [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2008-8-26 21:16:53 |Display all floors

Re:

I'm German and I'd like to help interpret this article.
First of all, i think what you're doing, horacetwest, is also a kind of propaganda. Because you don't translate the whole article so everybody can get his own picture, but you're picking out some quotes, interpreting them on your own, explaining what you think the writer could have meant and therefore you're influencing the reader's opinion.

Second: I also have to admit that especially in March/April the German media only saw the bad side of the Chinese social and economical development. But it was changing during the Olympic Games. There's a famous quote of Reinhold Beckmann (I think it was him), he was the chief moderator of ARD during the Olympics. He said that some German media perhaps made the mistake of only regarding the "glass as half-empty, but never see that, on the other hand, it's already half-full".

But back to the article. I'm not translating everything but some interesting additional information:

"Sie hätten auch nicht malen dürfen, was sie wollten: "Wir hatten einen Drachen gemalt, der war echt süß." Der ehemalige IOC-Chef Juan Antonio Samaranch und der jetzige Präsident Jacques Rogge meinten aber: Ein Drache sei nicht gut. Sie hätten darauf bestanden, dass ein Drache etwas Teuflisches hat."

They also weren't allowed to draw what they wanted: "We had painted a dragon which was really sweet." But the former IOC-Boss Juan Antonio Samaranch and the present president Jacques Rogge thought: The dragon isn't good. They insisted that a dragon has something devilish."

So it's not an anti-Chinese propaganda, the author somehow just criticizes that this guy couldn't paint freely, no matter who influenced him (IOC or the government).

"Als ich den Vertrag unterschrieben habe... naja, jeder weiß doch: dabei sein und mitmachen ist alles, das macht doch schon glücklich. So eine Gelegenheit kommt einmal in 100 Jahren. Da denkt man nicht ans Geld." Er habe den Vertrag unterschrieben, ohne ihn zu lesen. (...) Erst als ich ihn unterschrieben hatte, habe ich erfahren, dass ich ein symbolisches Gehalt von einem Yuan bekomme."
Ein hoher Beamter setzte sich dann dafür ein, dass Han doch bezahlt wurde. Sein Gehalt spendete er für den Bau von fünf Schulen. Und die tragen - wie kann es anders sein - die Namen der fünf olympischen Maskottchen."

"When I signed the contract... well, as everyone knows: The important thing is to participate. This alone already makes happy. Such an opportunity comes once in 100 years. In this moment, you don't think about the money. I signed the contract without reading it. (...) Only after signing it, i found out that i get a symbolic salary of 1 Yuan.
Later, a high offical stood up for Han being payed properly. Han donated the salary for the construction of 5 schools. And those schools - how else could it be - are now bearing the name of the 5 olympic mascots."

That's how the article ends and that's definitely a happy end. So there are critical elements, of course, but it's definitely no anti-Chinese propaganda. When i read the article, i never had this feeling... There were much more critical and ridiculous articles of German media, to be honest...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-8-29 15:36:38 |Display all floors
Originally posted by huang262 at 2008-8-21 16:01
Why are Germans, of all people, anti-China? They are number one exporters and can manufacture high-quality products for niche markets with little competition. They should be one of the most confide ...

As a rule, Germans are not anti-chinese, but some are. What worries me is that some German of the media have started some kind of propagandistic campaigning against China.  This  is a relatively new phenomenon and might on the long term influence more Germans to become anti-chinese. Some of the media made a transition here from reporting to opinion making. As long as at least the facts are reported correctly, I would not criticize them, but what I really do not like that there is not fairness anymore with regards to facts.
[b]Horace T. West[/b]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-8-31 07:35:28 |Display all floors
can I post here? I am asking because most of my posting do not appear

[ Last edited by fxlion at 2008-8-31 07:37 AM ]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-9-2 13:54:47 |Display all floors
Originally posted by syrer_mc at 2008-8-26 21:16
"When I signed the contract... well, as everyone knows: The important thing is to participate. This alone already makes happy. Such an opportunity comes once in 100 years. In this moment, you don't think about the money. I signed the contract without reading it. (...) Only after signing it, i found out that i get a symbolic salary of 1 Yuan.
Later, a high offical stood up for Han being payed properly. Han donated the salary for the construction of 5 schools. And those schools - how else could it be - are now bearing the name of the 5 olympic mascots."

That's how the article ends and that's definitely a happy end. So there are critical elements, of course, but it's definitely no anti-Chinese propaganda. When i read the article, i never had this feeling... There were much more critical and ridiculous articles of German media, to be honest...

I do not agree with your view that this was meant as a conciliable end of the story. The manipulation is not so blatent anymore, but comes along more subtle now:

You should look back again to the header: "Mini-salary for the creator of a big seller - ten cent for the five olympic mascots". When the reader comes now to this end of the story, he is already preset, namely assuming that Han was tricked out. Now he is told how: The story of the real naive artist cheated on the contract by the bad communists. Only one single high official stood up against him and finally he got his justice, but because Han is a really honorable man, he made a donation instead of using the money. You get the pattern? The so-called "happy end" is notin but the justification of the accusation of cheating Han that was raised in the header.

Before you think that this is meant as a nice and conciliating end of the story you should perhaps analyze some more of the articles of Petra Aldenrath. They are often written in a way to fuel anti-chinese sentiments by providing "facts" to nourish already existing prejudges in Germany. But I would agree that the anti-chinese propaganda of Petra Aldenrath is more an exception than the rule in German media.
[b]Horace T. West[/b]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-9-3 10:36:25 |Display all floors
Originally posted by horacetwest at 2008-8-29 15:36
As a rule, Germans are not anti-chinese, but some are. What worries me is that some German of the media have started some kind of propagandistic campaigning against China.  This  is a relatively new phenomenon and might on the long term influence more Germans to become anti-chinese. Some of the media made a transition here from reporting to opinion making. As long as at least the facts are reported correctly, I would not criticize them, but what I really do not like that there is not fairness anymore with regards to facts. ...

Horace,

What do you think about this? What cause this trend.

Another German friend here also worried about German media China-bashing trend. Is it simply because of Merkel? Or because of power shift? That China's economy will be in good condition to overtake German position.

Chinese generally respect German people, especially after knowing what they have done to assist us in WWII. German philosopher like Kant, Nietszhe, etc etc (Hegel is too difficult) are must read for most of graduate students of social science here (especially in Beijing). General attitude toward German is still ok, but I'm afraid it will diminish gradually.

Please share.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.