Author: horacetwest

Anti-chinese propaganda by ARD [Copy link] 中文

Rank: 1

Post time 2008-8-24 17:27:56 |Display all floors
About this interesting discussion on freedom of Western media - I live in Italy. Here, 95% of television share is held by six channels. Three of them are owned by the State and managed by people appointed to keep them under control by the government and the Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi. The other three are privately owned by Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi. All political news are carefully "oriented" in a certain direction, i.e. when members of any party (both government and opposition) are arrested the news are minimized or not reported properly, and when someone criticizes the corruption or incompetence of the political world, TV reports always try to put him under bad light. I can't judge about how much governmental control there is in China on media, but sure I wouldn't say that Western media are free and fair, at all; the only free media is the Internet, but they are already trying to put it under control.

Use magic tools Report

Rank: 8Rank: 8

Post time 2008-8-24 17:52:59 |Display all floors
Originally posted by cartkingsky at 2008-8-24 14:23

The anti-China propaganda is a career extremely hot in west, you can find a better one but you never know who is the best, at insulting China!


I know, they will distance even fire the reporters that report China fairly.

Remember Edgar Snow? He's a friend of China, yet he lived a miserable life in his own country.

Use magic tools Report

Rank: 8Rank: 8

Post time 2008-8-24 17:54:21 |Display all floors
Originally posted by vbertola at 2008-8-24 17:27
About this interesting discussion on freedom of Western media - I live in Italy. Here, 95% of television share is held by six channels. Three of them are owned by the State and managed by people ap ...


Thank you for the valuable summary about Italian media.

Use magic tools Report

Rank: 4

Post time 2008-8-24 19:13:23 |Display all floors
Originally posted by augusten at 2008-8-24 17:52


I know, they will distance even fire the reporters that report China fairly.

Remember Edgar Snow? He's a friend of China, yet he lived a miserable life in his own country.


Considering the Cold war background during Edgar Snow's lifetime and China technically a Communism country, it was somewhat understandable in western world that he was rarer than dinosaur and had been persecuted time and time again.But the question here is, since now the cold war has been over for so long, why western countries are still hold on to the cold war way of thinking to demonize China? I guess cold war may be not finished in someone's mind, or perhaps someone want to wage a new one against China.
无知无耻无能无聊的西方人

Use magic tools Report

Rank: 1

Post time 2008-8-24 19:27:20 |Display all floors
Originally posted by cartkingsky at 2008-8-24 19:13


Considering the Cold war background during Edgar Snow's lifetime and China technically a Communism country, it was somewhat understandable in western world that he was rarer than dinosaur and h ...

You ask why Western media and leaders often demonize China.

Part of it is global political struggle: Western leaders are afraid of China's increasing power, so they would like to force China into difficult diplomatical positions in the international scene, so that they can, for example, impose tariffs on Chinese exports, or reduce the Chinese influence over other countries.

Most of it is internal politics: most Western economies are in deep crisis due to globalization, which includes job places moving to China (and many other countries where work is cheaper, but China takes the biggest share). Most citizens in Western countries are getting poorer and poorer (by Western standards), they see very rich people around but only few, while they can barely get enough money to survive (again by Western standards: a new car every 3-5 years, laptop computers and fashionable clothes are felt as "necessary for survival" in the West); so they are disillusioned and dissatisfied about their leaders and politics in general. So these politicians have to direct people's anger towards someone else instead than themselves, and China is a good target: everyone can see "made in China" on the labels of things they buy, and China is so far that Western media can tell any lie about it and almost no one will notice. And of course it is easier to blame for your failures another country and another people than yourself.

Use magic tools Report

Rank: 4

Post time 2008-8-24 20:20:42 |Display all floors
Originally posted by vbertola at 2008-8-24 19:27

You ask why Western media and leaders often demonize China.

Part of it is global political struggle: Western leaders are afraid of China's increasing power, so they would like to force China i ...


Thank you for the imformation.

It seems to me that the majority of westerners are rich enough and it wil be fine if they can just go on like this. But since we are a bunch of mobs (cited from one well-known CNN commenter), they feel so threatened that we mobs probably will take vengeance for what they did to our forebears, perhaps we will set fire on their palaces and museums where countless treasures robbed from our nation are keeped. Oh, did I forget to mention who resemble gangsters even more?
无知无耻无能无聊的西方人

Use magic tools Report

Rank: 1

Post time 2008-8-24 21:07:36 |Display all floors
Originally posted by cartkingsky at 2008-8-24 20:20

It seems to me that the majority of westerners are rich enough and it wil be fine if they can just go on like this. But since we are a bunch of mobs (cited from one well-known CNN commenter), they feel so threatened that we mobs probably will take vengeance for what they did to our forebears, perhaps we will set fire on their palaces and museums where countless treasures robbed from our nation are keeped. Oh, did I forget to mention who resemble gangsters even more?


Well, possibly the most famous painting of human history, the Gioconda by Leonardo da Vinci, was painted and kept in Italy but then stolen by Napoleon, it is now in the Louvre museum in Paris and France will never give it back to Italy. You see, it's not just China that was spoiled by other countries, but for centuries all countries fought each other and robbed each other. We have to stop thinking in these terms, what we have to build now is peace and harmony in the entire world and you cannot do this with violence and disrespect for other peoples.

However, the West is not afraid of a war - actually, in Europe (U.S. is different), a war is culturally unthinkable today; people would not accept to fight with China or any other country unless something really terrible happened, such as nuclear bombs or starvation. So no one is afraid of China in military terms. People are more afraid of China's economic growth and fear that this will take wealth away from them, and the solution is to find ways to allow China to grow without creating fear and rage in the rest of the world.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.