Author: horacetwest

Anti-chinese propaganda by ARD [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2008-8-21 22:32:43 |Display all floors
Again this targets at giving the impression as if the chinese government would dictatorially decree and control even the finest details in the country not even leaving the design of the olympic mascots to the designer. They really have no other problems to solve? The crossreference with the olympic committee just serves to underline this impression.

The problem is not to know if chinese government control or not everything. The problem is to know if he control something that he shouldnt:
Sorry to deceive you, but the young girls who real sang during the opening ceremony coulndt do it in front of billions spectator only for one reason: because a high responsible from pcc was present during training and decided this little girls not match chinese beauty criterion.

If a member of government can decide to control such a thing, I'm afraid the german tv was true.
Arbitrary from potent peoples (especially from pcc) is as criticized in western than politics.

After read your post, I disagree with one thing: this kind of criticize cannot be called propaganda, and is more something like chauvinism, and in every country you will find such depreciate vision of foreign country. I mean that it has nothing to see with china. I can see exactly the same in france when it's about US or even other europe countries. The more peoples know there are economic or cultural relationship with this country, the more they will have stereotype about it.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-8-21 22:41:23 |Display all floors

Reply #7 satsu_jin's post

You could be right. Russia, without nukes will always be insignificant....China with lotsa factories will, one day be equally insignificant.....when production moves on to.....wherever.....sorry satsu.....it's the truth and you know it!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-8-22 11:26:23 |Display all floors
sign....

I respect human being right too much, I know chinese government need much to do.

But each time I saw some anti-china posters with human being right issue, I even do not care human being right and I stand by the side of chinese government because we are aware of those people who claimed human being right is not for chinese, but for themselves, they are evil!

That is a tragic issue between chinese and western people

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-8-22 11:40:25 |Display all floors

Reply #2 augusten's post

To be anti-China means to be anti-Chinese government.... what is so fanatical about being against your government?
Individuality: Always Remember That You Are Unique.  Just Like Everybody Else.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-8-22 12:15:04 |Display all floors
Originally posted by horacetwest at 2008-8-21 19:25
I hope that most of the readers of this forum can distinguish between my presentation of a particular case that needs to be discussed but not by undue polemic generalizations. Let us discuss, but please, on an intellectually acceptable level, and not just by replacing one type of propaganda by another one...

You'll be waiting a long time for a sensible discussion by any of the Chinauvinists here.

I found your presentation one of the most sensible and honest here.
Not only did you present the original language of the article, but also your translation into English.
This is honest as it allows other German speakers to make their own interpretation of the original article and challenge your translation if they had any issue with that.

You also made a distinction when one of the less informed Chinauvinists (a tautology I think) used that article to attack all German media in general, and defended the mainstream German media.

Just a question, is this article an opinion piece or a general news report ?
I don't doubt that it is biased, from your interpretation of it here, but there is an acceptance that certain article styles, eg opinion pieces and editorials, are more likely to show a bias one way or the other as that is their nature, opinion.
Readers know this and judge accordingly and usually follow up with furious denunciations of the more extreme of these.
However it is unusual for items, purporting to be straight news, to be so blatant as the one you've quoted.

Cheers
JB

[ Last edited by emucentral at 2008-8-22 02:17 PM ]
"他不是救星, 他是一个非常淘气男孩" - Monty Python

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-8-22 16:21:26 |Display all floors
Originally posted by emucentral at 2008-8-22 12:15

Just a question, is this article an opinion piece or a general news report ?
I don't doubt that it is biased, from your interpretation of it here, but there is an acceptance that certain article styles, eg opinion pieces and editorials, are more likely to show a bias one way or the other as that is their nature, opinion.
Readers know this and judge accordingly and usually follow up with furious denunciations of the more extreme of these.
However it is unusual for items, purporting to be straight news, to be so blatant as the one you've quoted.

First thank your for your nice comments. Now to your question. I just have seen that there was a mistake with the URL. Here is the correct one:

http://www.tagesschau.de/ausland/maskottchen100.html

As you can see by yourself, the article was published under the header "Nachrichten" which means "general news" and categorized under "Ausland" which means "foreign countries".  So it was neither a comment nor an editorial.

You can also check in the following way. Click onto this link

http://www.tagesschau.de/allemeldungen/ausland/

There you will find the news of the last 7 days. You will find the article (Olympia-Maskottchen ...) easily among other world news on "Mittwoch, 20. August 2008", i.e., "Wednesday, 20. August 2008"

Although really blatant, it was ... straight news for Germans.
[b]Horace T. West[/b]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-8-22 17:57:21 |Display all floors
Originally posted by horacetwest at 2008-8-22 16:21

First thank your for your nice comments. Now to your question. I just have seen that there was a mistake with the URL. Here is the correct one:

[url]http://www.tagesschau.de/ausland/maskottc ...

I tried the first link,   and it did not work.

Thanks for the correction.

Danke schoen.

I always read Der Spiegel in German every week,   but I normally do not watch ARD.

The new link is OK,  I can now read the article in German,   they are saying that Han is holding up a sketch of Huan Huan,  who is red, and he is explaining why the kids like Huan Huan and the other mascots.

Later on,   Han is  complaining about not being allowed to have a dragon as a mascot because of political interference from Juan Antonio Samaranch and Jacques Rogge.

It really looks pretty much aimed at portraying China in a bad light.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.