Author: i2vision

I thought Westerners like competition [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2008-4-16 10:21:18 |Display all floors
I2,

No, I'm someone who doesn't do victimhood.

A lot of Native Americans, from the full-blooded to those with just a single tribesman far in their family tree, don't do victimhood. They don't do it because it offends their view of themselves and what they accomplished. For the Cherokee, there is pride in the fact that we successfully adapted to the arrival of Europeans and used their arrival to solidify our position at the head of the southern tribes, unifying them with British help. We're proud to have moved from a very primitive lifestyle to being recognized as a civilization in the course of less than a hundred years of European contact. And we're proud that so many people have started to claim their heritage, even if they don't meet blood quantum and others wish to indulge in it but have no ancestry; proud enough that many of us have deep disagreement with the tribal government and Federal government over the issue.

The poem that Rainbow posted, frankly, offends me as perpetuating a cult of victimhood which is inappropriate to a people justifiably proud of their heritage. Indeed, many of us see people like him as silly house savages who do nothing more than whine about victimhood while conforming to all the wrongheaded positive stereotypes the dominant culture has ("noble savages" and all that) and dragging the heritage of a dynamic people down by it. We went to wars. We unified peoples. We fought with settlers in guerrilla campaigns. We stood toe to toe with the world's mightiest and imposed a Pyrrhic victory on them all. We have no illusions about the long term trajectories of our nations: we would have either become like tribalist Africa is today or like Hawai'i became, importing Europeans to work our lands until we had become the minority on them anyhow as we pursued economic gain and perhaps entertained ambitions of empire.

But I seriously do not expect you to understand that or, if you did, admit to understanding it. It violates your view of Native Americans as silent sufferers, robs you of a cudgel against a country that we are part of and which has incorporated our sufferings as part of its national mythos, and likely flies in the face of your own simplistic views of race, culture and indigenous peoples.
"Justice prevails... evil justice."

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-4-16 10:51:57 |Display all floors

No offensive words

Hello everyone, I known the feeling of your guys, as for what the western government do is really hurts our feelings.

But you known, our nation is a great nation with more than five thousand years, brave, hardwording and friendy. For thousand years ago, we are a diversity racial nation, so we deal with racial problem well. In China there are no discrimination exsit. We can bear all the different  ideology and religions. As generosity and humanity are the principle of our cultural. Look at the western history, especially Amercian history, killing is the way to deal with the different ideology and religions. That is who they are, that is why they do this to China and that is the future of them. There are justice for all the world people, a justice exsit in everyone's heart. What they do, during the Olympic torch activity, especilly the Paris leg, beating a disable chinese girl as her is torchbearer of Olympic, in reward, the girl feed back a smile to all the Paris people, will be record in the history of mankind, all the descendants will learn this and told their children if you want be a man not as Parisian. what the civilized word it is! For the French, For the Paris. All the world's eyes are watching you. What a shame it is!

But that is all right, we still be an open world, as we are Chinese. We give all the bad people chance to be kind. So, let them see what the chinese do, be friend to all the national people. Leave them space to feel shame and improve their behavior. Maybe hundreds years later, they can do what we do now!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-4-16 11:03:46 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked
Roach Exterminator

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-4-16 11:19:44 |Display all floors
ZG,

My grandfather on my mother's side was a full-blooded Native American and I grew up in the Cherokee Nation. I am 100% mutt.

Americans, even those not in an ethnic group, tend to take exception at color words because it offends American sensibilities and is considered deeply offensive by many minorities. A large part of the reason is that, in the US, it is seen as reducing a person to skin color. Another part is that it is traditionally pejorative and the US "it's our word" phenomenon is an important socio-linguistic dynamic.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-4-16 11:21:19 |Display all floors
Originally posted by interesting at 2008-4-16 10:21
I2,

No, I'm someone who doesn't do victimhood.

A lot of Native Americans, from the full-blooded to those with just a single tribesman far in their family tree, don't do victimhood. They don' ...

Interesting.

How an interesting write up you have. There are many English words but you failed to make the point across many minds who wondering why you are trying to say.

Your point:            a country that we are part of and which has incorporated our sufferings as part of its national mythos

as of todate,Why America needs to use two terms to describe its people: American and America Natives? Do you mean American America native to make you more patriotic and other less american. If UsA is serious about patriotism, American as a representation  of nation shall sufficient.

I repeat no one insult you. I merely borrowed the word from the history book. I merely demonstrate the point of evil emprire's wrong doings.

If you have watched Hollywood movie. i believe Hollywood called indian the red indian. What are you going to do about it?This is your country production. You can expect us not to understand the meanning of "Red", then what about your own country? At least, we outsider can voice out for the Indian who went through great sufferings from the so called "white" people or European. At least , your History can continue to be told and be the reminder for your own people.

If you do not understand China history and Chinese people's thinking, my suggestion is you better stay  neutral.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-4-16 11:26:13 |Display all floors
I2,

Stay neutral in what? What you say about my people? You're talking about my country, I cannot, by definition actually be neutral.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-4-16 14:50:15 |Display all floors

Discrimination in University

Four student groups and 22 individuals have filed a discrimination complaint against the University of Michigan, alleging discrimination against American Indians.

The complaint, filed last month with the U.S. Department of Education's Office of Civil Rights in Cleveland, names several University of Michigan administrators, including the school's president, Lee C. Bollinger.

The complaint accuses them of discrimination for allowing the use of Indian artifacts by a 98-year-old leadership group. It also accuses Michigamua, a secretive campus society, of mocking and misusing American Indian customs and artifacts.

Talk in English rather than talking about English.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.