Author: i2vision

I thought Westerners like competition [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2008-4-23 20:39:37 |Display all floors
Originally posted by mengzhi at 2008-4-23 07:12
Instead of admitting that they have been behaving badly , ( un-colonialist ) , and apologize promising never to do it again , they stiffened the thin upper lips and dug in . ...

Um, sorry to pull you up again on your lies, but the BBC chappy did clarify the issue of the use of that photo & caption, and conceded it was an error to use the image in that context.

The BBC has discussed the whole issue at length, it has printed hundreds of emails from the pro-China lobby which has criticised the BBC and other western media.

The "self examination" by the BBC over the issue of reporting on Tbt, and Torch relay pr-ote-sts has been extensive and unprecedented, and far more than the anti-Western media lobby deserves.

We haven't seen anywhere near that level of free speech on CD, and aren't likely to do so in the near future.
"他不是救星, 他是一个非常淘气男孩" - Monty Python

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-4-26 22:58:44 |Display all floors
Originally posted by emucentral at 2008-4-23 20:39

We haven't seen anywhere near that level of free speech on CD, and aren't likely to do so in the near future.

Free speech is good, but Rome was not built in a day.  Given the culture and history of China, I have to say the level of free speech in today's China is quite satisfying. Far from the "burning flag" level ,but we are making progress. Don't push too hard, because it's not easy to change.
Any attempt to split this country is unacceptable, I guess that's why I couldn't help getting emotional when such things happened.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-4-27 18:55:41 |Display all floors

The west are but novices .

Emu,

There is a big difference between  " free speech " and slander . The BBC & CNN pranks were deliberate, in your face slaps . There was no accident in those concerted menu of fabrications , disinformation and lies .  As they mealy mouthed an " apology " they were publicizing more anti-China trash . This is unacceptable in anyone's language . These supremacist ex-colonialists seem to forget that it is now 2008 , not 1908 ! Those gun-boats are rusty , decommissioned and can threaten no one .

If a verbal battle is what the west is looking for , they could not have taken on a better opponent . We have done this verbal-wrestle for centuries .  We are up to it . I wish the cowardly west would be bold and brave in admitting their juvenile pranks rather than send apologists out to whitewash these uncivilized acts .

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-4-27 20:53:18 |Display all floors
Originally posted by muggleborn at 2008-4-27 00:58
I have to say the level of free speech in today's China is quite satisfying. Far from the "burning flag" level ,but we are making progress.  ...

Ok, so you say you are happy with how it is at present, but you concede that there's still not the same level of free speech as in the west ?

That would also appear to confirm that Chinese media is not able to present all the facts freely either.
"他不是救星, 他是一个非常淘气男孩" - Monty Python

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-4-27 21:52:18 |Display all floors
Originally posted by emucentral at 2008-4-27 20:53
Ok, so you say you are happy with how it is at present, but you concede that there's still not the same level of free speech as in the west ?...

To the extent your media are free to demonize other nation and brand other as "goons and thugs" in public media, I must admit, ours not as low as yours.

That would also appear to confirm that Chinese media is not able to present all the facts freely either.

You mean branding Nepalese police as PLA is presenting facts?

I always thought your English is better than mine.
师夷长技以制夷

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-4-28 05:22:32 |Display all floors

The fall of the self righteous .

emu is typical of the dwindling ( thank goodness ) band of westerners who are focused only on Chinese shortcomings . They are unable and unwilling to give credit where credit is due . That mean-spirited lemon sucking best .  China has achieved more for herself and her people over the past 30 years than the advanced countries had over the previous 200 years .  Not a whimper of congratulations or compliment is ever accorded to China . It is a broken record of  "  you are still imperfect in this ..... and that ".  The racial inequality in both the US and Australia  were of apartheid proportions and very open and legal even as recently as the 60s. Did the rest of the world bang on and on about that inhuman  act ? No , simply because they don't have a megaphone ,not because they could not see or did not care .

The world has changed , and for the good . There are megaphones and internet around and we are hearing voices from all corners of the globe .  We see the on going genocide in Palestine and Iraq , under the full sponsorship of the advanced nations of the world .  We can see mate . This self righteousness attitude and gun-boat diplomacy have got to go .

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.