Author: augustusq

Some truth to tell the western people: [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2008-4-20 10:26:23 |Display all floors
Originally posted by seneca at 2008-4-19 19:44
I don't care whether I am "a great debater" but I certainly have the right to believe the CCP of the 21st century has lost its moral fibre.

At least I have given your claim buoyancy i ...

Then why you live under CCP rule here in China and refuse to leave?
师夷长技以制夷

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-4-20 12:42:54 |Display all floors

"Red Star over China" was written in 1930's

Seneca, your knowledge of China and the CCP is out of date. Edgar Snow, Smedley, Anna Louis Strong, etc. wrote about China half or more century ago. If that was your time frame of 'great', I urge you to a major update. If you depend on only a few books about China, you need to expand, really badly, since you are so much into China issues and sound so opinionated.

If you are living or working in China right now, I would be surprised you did not come up with a few current well-intentioned authors as well as ill-intentioned authors, whose books have influenced you one way or another. I would be even more surprised that you are not talking about what you see and experience in China and not making any comparison between the China of today and the China of 100 years, or 50 years ago. A historical perspective would be the most helpful and meaningful to use, and we not not even talking about great or no great, those are subjective qualifications always subject to disagreement. Why not look at China's improvements? Did you what China was like in 1908?

I'm not so sure I understand your example of those German or Spanish magazines. Did you get a rip off regarding the price by the magazine seller? What has that to do with your point?

The way you discuss this topic here, you seem to be using a different set of reference... Correct me if I got yoou wrong.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-4-23 01:47:12 |Display all floors

Positive changes

Yes, Seneca. China has changed tremendously since you crossed the Yangtze River bridge and that was only some 40 years ago.

China has opened up to the world and is catching up fast. People are talking about the Asia Century of which China is an important part. Chinese students are everywhere in the world, eager to learn. Talk to a Chinese now and see if they shy away from you, unless of course they don't understand your language...

When Edgar Snow was writing about China, nobody in the world would pay much attention to this huge nation. They called China the "Asian Sick"...  Not any more.

China has stood up and is actively participating in the world affairs. China will only grow stronger and more prosperous. China has made mistakes. Who wouldn't? But China has learned and is learning fast and is putting up an impressive show, all under whose leadership?

You may want to visit China again to brush up and see and feel for yourself how different it is from what most western media describe. Those media are not balanced. Biased is a better word to use.

Do you see any report in western media these two days about French president making a personal apology to Jin Jing and inviting her to visit with him after she was attacked holding the Olympic torch in Paris? On BBC, and CNN? You think they have no agenda?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-4-23 15:18:43 |Display all floors
Originally posted by seneca at 2008-4-18 13:55
No. 1: The Communist Party WAS great..., not IS great.

Your claim can be supported for much of the time, but not for the time being any more.

You are right.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-4-23 18:26:55 |Display all floors
Originally posted by seneca at 2008-4-18 13:55
No. 1: The Communist Party WAS great..., not IS great.

Your claim can be supported for much of the time, but not for the time being any more.

Seneca,

If China is not great, why do you stay in China and marry with a Chinese woman but never want to go back? You never dare to tell us how great your country is! Are you feel ashamed of your own country?

Tell us folks. I am very curious about this. Don't hide in your den of China but never dare to speak out where you are from!
Talk in English rather than talking about English.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-4-24 13:30:30 |Display all floors

Reply #16 rainbow's post

I don't see where seneca said China isn't great. He was commenting on the leadership, being ostensibly, communist but really, isn't. if you read what he said, he made some positive remarks on the changes he's seen in China since he came here first. It hasnothing to do with whom he married or where he lives, so my friend, please read things correctly.
Peace y'all!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-4-24 23:23:07 |Display all floors

Great or Not Great

Why don't our interested western readers and friends take advantage of the 2008 Games in Beijing and learn something really solid about New China?

Why don't you make a visit to China of the 21st century yourself and see how many of your questions or doubts could be answered?

Get away from your couch and den and forget about what those media told you all the time, and come and use your own observation and open mind!!!

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.