Views: 3220|Replies: 4

is the west's mistrust of China justified [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2008-4-14 06:05:00 |Display all floors
now that China's reforms are starting to free up the amount of information available to the west , I have noticed a few inconsistances with what we as westerners have been taught in regards to some of China's internal conflicts , have we been lied to deliberately or because of China's refusal to respond to these allegations have we just been bombarded with a biased account from those best served by it ?
There are no Ugly women , only those with low self esteem .

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-4-15 20:57:27 |Display all floors

I don't think it is justified..

..although to be honest I really don't know how widespread any mistrust is outside the circles of media, politicians and special interest groups.

Most ordinary folks probably only have a vague concept of China, one that is informed by the media certainly, but one that is fairly ignorant. Much like the Chinese concept of Western countries is. We're a long way from each other and quite frankly, most of us have concerns enough locally to spare a thought for places thousands of miles away. That will of course change in time.

I think the problem for the media, politicians and special interest groups is the narrative that they have decided upon for China. It's a narrative that was probably formed during the Cold War when the West was at loggerhaeds with the Soviet Union. China being a Communist country obviously fell onto the side of the Soviets and other Eastern European countries under Communism.

As the 'free' West prospered, those countries under Communism struggled even though they would put on great displays of military strength, send men into space, etc. They also oppressed their own people, with those deemed a nuisance to the state disappearing, being sent to gulags, imprisoned without trial or even murdered. Such things really don't happen in the West and as 'free' peoples, it engenders horror that a state can weild that much power and terror over it's own helpless people. Authoritarian rule really and once you've overthrown your own feudal lords, kings and emporers, you tend to view those nations still under authoritarian rule with distrust if not contempt

The people under Communist rule were seen as dowdy, grey, miserable, restricted, unthinking, fearful, oppressed, deprived. As time progressed and the queues for food grew in Russia we knew they were hungry too, while we had food aplenty. When it came to material goods, there was no contest.

All of these things I think feed into the narrative that the West holds true for China. Mao, Cultural Revolution, that Square thing, the mao suits, the same bloody haircuts. The narrative is conformity to the authortarian rule or else and er...that's about it.

I don't know if it's lying, or just a case of a lack of imagination coupled with a lack of access to find out otherwise which continually feeds itself.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-4-16 06:56:55 |Display all floors
I must admit I too had a preconceived idea as to what China was like and her people , my information was garnered through the media and history lessons at school , I had a very similar opinion in that I thought that Chinese people were poor and over worked , they could not voice their opinion for fear of retribution , when I travelled to China I was suprised by what I saw , nothing could be farther from the truth , I found the Chinese people very friendly and just as curious about me as I was of them , the infrastructure did not belong to a poor country , the more questions I asked the more contradictory the answers became , leading me to believe there was a lot more to learn as to the real reasons we have such an ingrained opinion of the Chinese government and her people , I for one would like to know more about the disputed teritories that has so much one sided publicity lately , the problem is that not much in the way of facts have been made available .
There are no Ugly women , only those with low self esteem .

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-4-16 12:54:52 |Display all floors
Originally posted by thedacs at 2008-4-15 20:57
..although to be honest I really don't know how widespread any mistrust is outside the circles of media, politicians and special interest groups.

Most ordinary folks probably only have a vague c ...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

frankly,to  be  a  chinese, i   admit  the  western  political  regime   may  be  more  practical  than  china.i  guess  this   end  is more  complicated  than  to  speak.some  wisom man  said  the  political  regime  is  domitated  by  the  structure  of  the soul.china  have  large  number  people  in  this  world.my  leader  once said  in  china  even a  small  problem  may  be  a  large  one  according  to  the  number  of  people.the  western  nation  have  small  number  of  people  ,so  that  to  deal  with  the  thorny  problem  is  easier   than   china.

chinese people,a  lot  of ,only  need  to  feed  themself,to  live   only  for  live just because  the  limited  resouce  and  limited  opputinity  in  work.maybe  some western  people said  chinese  people  are   vicious,tricky.but  i   told  you  lots  of  chinese  are  kind  to  the  weatern  people,if  you  come  to  china,you  would  find lots  of  people  in  china  have not  bad intention  to  the  western  people.we  chinse  and  your  western  people  should  communicate  with  each  other  ,so  that  we  can  strenthen   the  comprehension   among us  and  to  understand  other's culture  correctly .

ih  the  western  in those  days,some  people  are  rude to  china  torch relay,i  can  accept  it,because  i   think  the  human  being  are  not  more  civilized  than animals,not  better than  dogs and cats.to  be  a  person  with  good  talent  and  high  morality    is   more  difficult   than  people  took  step  on  moon.but  a  olipic  game  is  a n  interesting  and  meaningful  game  in  this  world,everyone  should  respect  it  and  take  heartedly  in  this  game  representing  the  love  and  unity.
to  run a  war  is  easy,to  keep  the peace  is  not  easy.to  everyone  in  this world shoud  understand  the  life  is  very  short,we  should cherish  the  peace  and  comprehend  the   love  and  tolerance.the  best  way  of  dealing  with  the  affairs  between  different  nations  is  to  understand  eachother  and help each  other,we  like  be  loved,not  like  be  misunderstand.

the  bright  road  in  this  world  is  knowing  the  truth,which  is  simple  and  complicated,like  this:your  thought  lead  your   action!

[ Last edited by salvation at 2008-4-16 12:56 PM ]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-4-16 13:01:12 |Display all floors
Originally posted by cyberspook at 2008-4-16 06:56
I must admit I too had a preconceived idea as to what China was like and her people , my information was garnered through the media and history lessons at school , I had a very similar opinion in t ...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

we  can  discuss   some  culture  in  email  ,i  can  explain  someting  to  you.

give  my  welcme  to  you  for  coming  to  china

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.