Views: 11013|Replies: 23

There is no Freedom of Speech for Chinese in some Western Media. [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2008-4-13 19:25:49 |Display all floors
There is no Freedom of Speech for Chinese in some Western Media.

I love English language very much as I love my mother tongue. So I can read news paper written in English. Some media say their reporting is impartial. Some say their world is full of freedom of speech. But quite recently I really dought if they are telling some fable stories.
I read www.telegraph.co.uk. and International Herald Tribune.com. Their comments for some news about China are full of predjudice. Some i think i should post my own opion in turn. But to my great surprise, i find my posts are never posted there.
Why? I think simply because i speak something true and good for our country.

They say China is lacking in freedom of speech. But  I am quite sure here in ChinaDaily there are more freedom than in that western medium.

Now I see, the western media are playing a game--"I Cheat My People". Funny enough?  
手握乾坤鼠, 茶溶四海秋. 心宽无大志, 戏赋欲还休.
Blog: http://www.blog.sina.com.cn/qujiangrong

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-4-13 20:05:56 |Display all floors
Originally posted by augustusq at 2008-4-13 21:25
There is no Freedom of Speech for Chinese in some Western Media.

Dear Augustus,
I should like to assure you that there is ample freedom of speech for Chinese in Western media, and far more so than for Chinese (or Westerners) in the Chinese media.

Just today I read some responses by Chinese people criticising the Western media, in a section dedicated to such feedback by the B B C.

Now, as I have found, the standards required for letters and emails to be published in the "letters" section of many western media outlets is far higher than for comments in a forum section here.
A forum is a very different beast to the letters page, and Western media outlets seem to enforce their forum guidelines more equitably. The type of racism and garbage we read here is not tolerated.

If you can create an opinion based on fact and reason and the story you have is relevant, then it is likely to be published.
If it's the same old ignorant crap we read from posters like Mengzhi, Northwest and GoToHell, then it will deservedly find a corner in the rubbish bin.

Cheers
JB
"他不是救星, 他是一个非常淘气男孩" - Monty Python

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-4-13 20:13:36 |Display all floors
So...

You're comparing the freedom you have on a message board to... what a newspaper decides to print? The proper comparison is between the regulation of this board--which eliminates "sensitive" topics--and that of message boards in the West. For many of those, absolutely anything goes.
"Justice prevails... evil justice."

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-4-13 20:31:02 |Display all floors
Originally posted by emucentral at 2008-4-13 20:05

Dear Augustus,
I should like to assure you that there is ample freedom of speech for Chinese in Western media, and far more so than for Chinese (or Westerners) in the Chinese media.

Just to ...

Thank you.
Please go to Telegraphic.co.uk and speak something good for China, and suggest people you are a Chinese citizen. Then you can find the fact.
Maybe you are surprised.
I do not know why?
Oh, just now  i find one  post (mildest and shortest) of mine is posted . But where are the other comments of mine? Why cannot the other comments be posted? I can tell you, I have been waited for days.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-4-13 20:35:09 |Display all floors
Augustus,

Because, legally, the paper can sometimes be held to account for what happens on its comment section; even when they cannot, they do not wish comments to violate common decency or courtesy. They may remove racist posts or those containing curses, for example. They may also remove long posts perceived to add nothing but length to the discussion.

In general, however, these aren't forums, they're places for the newspaper to let people talk to them and no one in West has illusions about how that procedure works. Why don't you find yourself a real message board?
"Justice prevails... evil justice."

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-4-13 21:09:31 |Display all floors
Originally posted by interesting at 2008-4-13 20:35
Augustus,

Because, legally, the paper can sometimes be held to account for what happens on its comment section; even when they cannot, they do not wish comments to violate common decency or cour ...

You may not understand. I posted my comments there because i read their news.
My comments are not racist or too long. Actually, comparing to other posts which abuses, mine are quite curtesy and fact-based. But the only difference is that I tell them not to read China by simply reading newspaper and tell them they should come to China to listen to the grassroots to understand why their views are wrong. I tell them China is a true melting pot for thousand years and most people in different ethnic groups love their only one family, that's China.

You can see it's very common suggestive idea. But this idea can not be shown to support China a bit.  
I think perhaps you have that freedom of speech, but I, a Chinese citizen, do not.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-4-14 00:06:22 |Display all floors

Re: #1

Augustusq,

I agree with what you commented on Post #1 totally( I just read #1). What you said are true. CNN only adopts the comments they favor. It muzzles and gaggles the voice of our ordinary Chinese people. " Free Speech" which It blows for with fanfare have proved to go bankrupt. Actually, many people from the world has known this several years ago. I  am collecting the related info. to reveal real nature of CNN.
Talk in English rather than talking about English.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.