Views: 4487|Replies: 4

Topics for CD English Club(BJ) April 6, 2008 (Prepared by Frank) [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2008-4-3 16:09:44 |Display all floors

***********************************************************************************
Colorful Domain English Club (Beijing)
email: cdclub_bj@yahoo.com.cn
Since May 30, 2004

***********************************************************************************

Time: 10.30am-12.30pm April 6, 2008.
Venue(trial): 北京市东城区交道口东大街4-17号,北京吴裕泰茶叶股份有限公司
Fee: RMB10 per person for tea and premise

HOW TO GET THERE?

The best way to get there is by subway. Take Line 5, get off at Bei Xing Qiao(北新桥站) station, and take Exit D. When coming out, turn west. You will see the Wu Yu Tai Tea House after walking for 2 minutes. It is opposite Dong Cheng High Court.

You can also take buses number 106/107/116/635/807/815/13路 and get off at北新桥路口(Tel. 64041928), Please notice there are 2 Wu Yu Tai around here, you should go to Qu Yu Tai office building (west of Bei Xin Qiao). For those who drive, there is a small parking lot available at the Bei Xin Qiao crossing road of Bei Xin Qiao 50 M North or 200 M West.

Host: Frank

Topic 1: Comments on Anti-CNN

Last month, there happened serials of chaos and violence in Tibet, Sichuan and Gansu. A lot of foreign media release the news reports by the newspapers, TV and Internet. Some of those reports use or intend to use much fake evidences in their reports. Most of foreign people are misguided by them. In order to tell the truth, Anti-CNN, a non-government website provides a forum for the people who love the truth to expose the lies. What are your comments on that? And what is your opinion on the reports and on those foreign media?

Topic 2: Your Voice to the Club.

Since the founding of the Club in 2004, many volunteers have contributed their time and creations to move the Club forward, including Bob, Hudson and Ahlaji. Now, the Club has grown up to become a social group for the English learners and the people who wish to diversify their life. Please give your ideas and your recommendations about the way to go for the Club. What are your interests that have you enjoy the Club? And how should the members contribute to the future of the Club?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-4-5 10:17:40 |Display all floors

Thank u, Amber

for posting the topics on-line. i tried several times Thursday to do so, yet failed each time.
you got a better computer or better relations with the web administrators or what?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-4-7 17:06:29 |Display all floors

To Alhaji

I also tried many times. When I was about to give up, I sent a message to the moderator.  I am not sure whether it's because of this :)

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-4-7 21:36:23 |Display all floors

Colourful Domain English Club Meeting Report, April 6, 2008

I got up with a terrible stomachache. It badgered me so much that I had to leave the meeting from time to time. Spring time, be aware of the food you consume.
Otherwise, today’s meeting was a real success. With disarming smiles and well-paced hosting, Frank, a senior member of CD skillfully put everything under control. Except, perhaps, for the fact that he did grant Bin, the day’s Prepared Speaker with extra 15 minutes to finish his speech. No wonder, the speech was very well prepared and it did arouse people’s interest. Who wouldn’t want to take a look at the ancient and mysterious yet modern and vigorous country: Italy. Lucky Bin spent a week or two touring Milano, Venezia and Roma. With the help of visual aide, highlighted words and pictures, he made his points easy to apprehend. He began with briefing the history of Italy since WWII, then political and economic structure and present situation. It was hard to associate the serious topic with a beaming young face. He then spent some time elaborating his tour: visit to the Cathedral, St. Marco Square, masquerade, Gondolas ride, Colosseum, Mouth of Truth, St. Peter’s Basilica. But not to Florenza yet. That should be included in his next tour. He wants to see David! And the oil painting Last Supper, he did not make it this trip since it should have been booked months earlier. Later at lunch table, all CD members encouraged Bin to do a Prepared Speech again. .
The impromptus were running smoothly with hearted laughter occasionally. Matt, Sue, Claude and Ryan all had best shot. The topics were : imagine you were the spokesman for the People’s Bank of China at a press conference and, you were the award winner at Oscar gala. Ryan, an ESL teacher from the States, kept his promise of coming back again in 5 weeks’ time. He arrived and at the “award ceremony” he delivered a speech thanking all the people who helped his winning of Oscar: his parents, casting crew and the like.
And during table presentation, he hinted that different media were affiliated with different parties and naturally they had differing interests and views. And for the money concern, they may deliberately say something other people might not want to hear. His suggest: compare different views and opinions and generate judgment of your own. This view was shared by Claude and Jim. Jim, another ESL teacher from the States, was visiting Beijing for business opportunity in China. He said that truth could be found if people look at what both CNN and CCTV had to say and come to the middle.  Summer apparently was not too happy with CNN journalists’ handling the news about Tibet. As a matter of fact she was enraged by some western media’s misleading coverage.
Maple Feng and Bob focused on topic II, i.e. voice or contributions to CD Club. Maple was happy to see new friends every time and suggested to make full use of visual aides (video clips, ppt, etc) while Bob highlighted the importance of keeping the agenda and time management.
Before we called it a day, Ellie rose to the podium to present her proposal of the upcoming Spring outing to San Cha Cun, Huairou County.  Photos of Qin Great Wall, water falls, blossom of flowers, rustic life were so tempting.  Once again great anticipation has generated among members for the coming big event.
So, what you are waiting for? Get registered and see you this coming Sunday for the outing.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-4-8 13:00:55 |Display all floors

Thank you

I am crazy busy at writing solutions proposals these days. Today I decided to take a breath to have a peek over here. and It's such a nice relaxation and entertainment to read through Alhaji's meeting report.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.