Author: pender

Is it any difference who will be the next US president? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2008-1-22 23:51:22 |Display all floors

# 7

very true

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-1-23 01:05:17 |Display all floors
The above posters are wrong. Generally speaking, unless you have a president that is ready to abuse the office like Bush has, little changes in the election of the president because the Senate is a continuous body. The US isn't built for radical change and so it takes definitively illegal steps to do it; in fact, most of the radical changes Bush has brought are solely in the realm of foreign policy, where he has nearly all authority. For Americans, it matters little to their daily lives who is elected.
"Justice prevails... evil justice."

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-1-23 01:39:40 |Display all floors

Reply #9 --- interesting's post...

You wrote:

"...unless you have a president that is ready to abuse the office like Bush has..."

==>  You may disagree with the current administration's policies, or believe they are completely wrong,  but please be more specific as to how you believe President Bush has 'abused' the office.

I don't recall seeing, hearing or reading any reports that the current US President has violated any laws.  Now have I seen the majority Democratic party in Congress preparing any impeachment proceedings/hearings.

What law do you believe President Bush has violoated or broken?  How has President Bush abused the office, and how does this compare with alleged abuse committed by any former US Presidents?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-1-23 10:13:12 |Display all floors
I really don't care who wins as long as it ain't Hillary! Whoever becomes the next President will, I sincerely hope, be able to get a semblance of order back into the economy!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-1-23 10:32:28 |Display all floors

Really a mess

It seems the us is in trouble in all areas,no matter economics or military,and it's the very time that the americans in need of a hero
the country need a statesman president ,but i have not seen any possibility of emergence of such kind of person among the current president candidates ,all of them are truly politician and now using every means to win :tears ,race ...............
The Sun rises every day from the East !

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-1-23 10:37:09 |Display all floors
It is a complex and complicating procedure to undo the eight years of messing up by the time the next president turns up . Right now they need a Maxwell Smart to fight off the State of Chaos .  Alfred E. Newman would have said   " What , me worry ? "  Yes , there is a lot to be worried about .

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-1-24 02:47:41 |Display all floors
Nos,

Actually, the President violated the FISA provisions because the order came from his office. That would be a violation of the law. So too is the use of national security letters for routine purposes, an  activity arising in an executive department which is (a) well-known and (b) within his power to stop. Were this not a political issue, he would actually have been arrested for it in accord with the laws of agency--for example, were he CEO of a company, he would be on trial right now, prosecuted by the SEC like one of Enron's executives but with much less cover.

More importantly, Bush's expansive definition of "war powers" is the quintessence of the abuse of political office--please remember that abusing one's office is rarely a de jure crime. I realize that you must like Bush, but you cannot ignore the fact that he has acted, more than any other President, beyond the scope the Founders had intended or would have sanctioned had they lived to this day. That is abuse of office. It is rampant. It is appalling.

[ Last edited by interesting at 2008-1-24 12:35 AM ]
"Justice prevails... evil justice."

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.