Views: 7413|Replies: 22

A Whale of a Time. [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2008-1-18 11:16:14 |Display all floors
There has been a sea saga of epic proportions in the South Pacific over  the last few days . In the red corner is a Japanese whaling fleet , busily engaged in " scientific research " on whales . A noble calling and a noble cause .  In the blue corner are two vessels manned by the friends of whales . The men and women on board are mean and menacing and they did manage to put two " warriors " on to the factory ship of the Japanese fleet . They make up mainly of Australians , Britishers and Americans. The two men who climb on board the Japanese ship  have on their body  a letter they intended to present to the Japanese captain protesting against whaling and to advise him to cease and desist .

The two young men were held on board the Japanese ship for two days until an Australian governmental custom vessel came along , after government to government negotiations , to rescue and release the two men.  The whalers and the anti-whalers are in their respective corners awaiting the bell for round two .

What should each side do , to avoid escalation of this international incident ?  Who is in the right and who is in the wrong ?  What are your thoughts and plans you can offer ? :)

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-1-18 11:31:58 |Display all floors

Australian Antarctic?

It all comes down to the status of the waters in which the incident occurred.  Australian comment regarding this incident, and whaling in general, has been somewhat hypocritical (and in some instances downright racist), but then Japanese commentary appears to have been disingenuous about their "research" (and some comments also racist).  Whether or not the reader supports whaling, it seems difficult to argue that the "scientific research" being conducted is anything other than under-cover commercial whaling.  It's like saying the Iraq war was / is just a strategic test manouver for a war in Iraq.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-1-18 14:24:26 |Display all floors
I saw the two brave young men on the TV news.
I don't understand why Japanese kept hunting whales and used the name called "research" ? It's so cruel and bloody!

Are there any international laws to stop it ?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-1-20 00:42:48 |Display all floors
Japanese are bad guys. People on earth realises  it.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-1-20 00:44:43 |Display all floors
Originally posted by joyceice at 2008-1-18 14:24
I saw the two brave young men on the TV news.
I don't understand why Japanese kept hunting whales and used the name called "research" ? It's so cruel and bloody!

Are there any interna ...

I am afraid this problem only can be solved by force.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-1-20 17:26:28 |Display all floors
this question really become more and more fierce....
ASTRALIA EVEN THE WORLD COULD TAKE MEASURE.............

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-1-20 18:54:06 |Display all floors
Can someone offer his / her opinion on the Australians / Britisher boarding another vessel in high seas without permission ?  What if the Japanese shot them claiming they were not sure if they are pirates or terrorists ? Is this vigilante gone wrong ?  

PS :  I do not approve of large scale whaling , especially and ostensibly for " research ".

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.