Author: beijinggirl

what's your opinion about buying house in usa? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2008-1-20 18:55:47 |Display all floors

One thing about the bay area

It;s the sellout capital of the World. There are probably more asian female married white guys than asian guys. Most asian guys already wave the white flag and gone else where.

Beijinggirl please don;t marry a white guy.  Pretty please.

[ Last edited by chinaimport at 2008-1-20 06:57 PM ]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-1-20 19:07:54 |Display all floors

Reply #14 tongluren's post

Liberal democracy? You bring to me an old dead horse! Give it up, man -- I don't buy the democracy fantasy, not one bit. If you believe in democracy, then I have some swamp land in Florida to sell you!

You will be hard=pressed I think to find any politician anywhere who is not basically a crook at heart! That is human nature, sir!

Now again I understand you are incapable of separating common people from the aristocrats-in-charge because you are duped by the nonsense of democracy. I can't help you as you chose to be deliberately ignorant.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-1-20 19:20:08 |Display all floors

Reply #14 tongluren's post

What do you want the Americans to do? Overthrow our government? Come again!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-1-21 14:04:00 |Display all floors

The "We're Impotent" Defense

Hmm...., the "we're but impotent" defense.  That's a new one.  Are Americans not supposed to be the masters of their nation's actions and decisions, given the vast superiority of liberal democracy over, say, alternative systems such as SWCC?  

So you mean to tell me it was all lies?  All that talk about freedom and democracy were lies all along?  That is indeed an interesting position to take.  I wonder how your other American cohorts feel about that.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-1-21 14:46:33 |Display all floors
Originally posted by tongluren at 2008-1-21 14:04
Hmm...., the "we're but impotent" defense.  That's a new one.  Are Americans not supposed to be the masters of their nation's actions and decisions, given the vast superiority of liberal  ...

from another post:
America is the epitome of liberal democracy, is it not?  So the goodwill of the people must be translated into good deeds, would it not?

Yes, you're right, it was all lies (I'm american). Living in the US I felt very little power to do anything. Especially after seeing Bush win over Gore when the votes were in question, MANY people became disheartened and realized (if they didn't know it before) "Our votes don't really matter". It's a shame, because if EVERYONE voted maybe the people really could make a difference, but:
1 -  turnout is very low and
2 - Average Joe isn't TRULY informed of what's going on. Watching the 7pm news between dinner and helping your kids with their homework just isn't enough. That's only the surface brainwashing part of the news, but Average Joe doesn't have the time or energy to care deeper - he's busy working to pay his bills and spend a little relaxing time on weekends.

Honestly, for average people or lower (middle class or poor, which is most of the people in any given country) they're often happy enough if THEIR life is going ok. When my dad gets home from work, he wants to eat and relax. On weekends he does some odd jobs around the house and spends time with his grandson.
That's a middle class working life.

But the goodwill of the people IS translated into good deeds if you look, and if you know where to look. I'm talking about the small but full-of-heart grassroots movements that often are the seeds of change... America is one of the top countries for volunteerism - a LOT of people donate money to the poor or sick, or donate their time, or donate their gently-used old items when they get new ones.

So what's an american like me to do? Volunteering makes people feel they are *doing something*. Voting feels like such a small thing, such a tiny quick miniscule thing to me. So what? I canceled out my father's vote. Big deal. We may as well have agreed to just sit home.
That's a common feeling, so many people just sit home.

I got it!!!
How about if you get CREDITS to vote??
Like, for every hour I spend learning or researching the true issues, I get a credit. So my vote is worth more than my neighbor's. haha! That would be so cool!!!!
But impossible. The gov't wouldn't want to encourage us doing research.
I am not rich.  :L

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-1-21 16:37:48 |Display all floors
Originally posted by tongluren at 2008-1-21 14:04
Hmm...., the "we're but impotent" defense.  That's a new one.  Are Americans not supposed to be the masters of their nation's actions and decisions, given the vast superiority of liberal  ...

You got it, tongluren!

Where you been sleeping?

Read my replies in wchao37's thread under TTCD about his critique of Hillary Clinton.

Now stop trying to assume I promote fantasies -- I think that is your department, Chinese Westerner!

Use magic tools Report

Glod Medal

Post time 2011-2-28 05:24:33 |Display all floors
cheaper then Shanghai
Never Let Anyone Outside The Family Know What You're Thinking.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.