Author: allenwon

The Argumentation of “China is developing too rapidly and is losing its culture [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2004-3-10 03:22:40 |Display all floors

A journey not a destination

Wealth.   The Churches of Europe are certainly monuments to wealth if nothing else.  As a whole they are audicious, opulant, grand and full of hubris.  Skyscrapers are the modern day equivilant.   Why should there be Churchs in China, we are not here to worship at the alter of a western god.  Churches are a hive of corruption, pedophilia and human weakness, a congregation of filthy degenerates seeking salvation from an unholy god.

What is of worth.   What is of worth is the daily toil of men and women striving for a better future for their children and grand children.   This is modern China, this is the heart and soul of the people.   When the people of China abandon this most basic of virtue for art and culture and sophistication, then there will be decadence.

It is not wrong to attain money, it is not wrong to gain wealth.  We must however understand the purpose of wealth.   It is not merely the tool for our own self-satisifaction but a responsibility to our future generation's survival and prosperity.

Use magic tools Report

bossel has been deleted
Post time 2004-3-10 11:14:18 |Display all floors

churches

Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-3-11 00:45:44 |Display all floors

You forget yourself

Seneca,
    Your post is a sign of your disingenuity.  I am neither in China nor am I poor.
I however do send money back to my family.

Nothing worth having is acheived without a stuggle.  You depict the Chinese struggle as something worthy of contempt.  This makes you worthy of contempt.  What you have described is not so strange.  People around the world work in dehumanizing situation.   Wage-slavery has never been anything but dehumanizing.  It is perseverance through this struggle that will make China a great country in this world.  The journey will make us stronger, it is when we think we've arrived that we become vulnerable.

China does not have the highest suicide rates in the world.
I do not believe I have said money will buy happiness.
Happiness as psychologically analyzed is in the continued improvement in one's standard of living, however that is defined.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-3-11 00:52:34 |Display all floors

Cultural Icon

"As a whole they are audicious, opulant, grand and full of hubris."

Well, we were discussing gathering places.  I have found that very few Churches built with humility become important gathering places.  Unless those who go wish to remain hidden.

I took a entire battery of architecture classes so I know a few things about Churches.
Most of the important religious landmarks were built to be opulant, grand and full of hubris.

You talk about the party line, you mean the Democratic Party or the Republican Party?

Use magic tools Report

bossel has been deleted
Post time 2004-3-11 11:03:47 |Display all floors

chuangtzu

Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-3-11 11:55:51 |Display all floors

eveloping is change

eveloping is change. It includes both economic and culture. If we want alway keeping our culture and lifestyle as original been, lock the whole country, like the Qing dynasty. Of course, we dont want that. So we change a lot. But in my opinion, this is a culture inosculation, a kind of culture developing also. So the most important thing is not worroied about the culture change, but to distinguish which is good and useful for us, and resistance those dirty ones!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-3-16 06:56:09 |Display all floors

Bossel

By importance, I mean secular importance and importance to a urban landscape.  We're not talking about rural village churches here.  We are talking about urban landscaping, daily travels from work to home.  We're talking about Notre Dame and Central Park and Grand Central Station.

You demean me instead of attacking what I said, and also start going off topic with what I've said.  I liked the modern skyscrapers to the monumental building of the past.  Pride, hubris and egotistical it might be, it is still a very human thing.   We haven't lost anything of the past, we're making the past for our future generations.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.