Author: listentome

more and more chinese celebrate Christmas [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2008-1-6 16:58:41 |Display all floors
Actually, Christmas isn't a Western ferstival as such, but a Christian one. From my experience in Canada, generally speaking, Christians and their invited friends and family members will celebrate Christmas. For the rest, it's just a n irritating statutory holiday. So much for the separation of church and state!

While I see nothing wrong with Christmas being taught in a Christian or World Religions course, I don't see why it's such a part of English courses in China. I've even heard of stories of children being forced to participate in Christmas parties. Isn't that equal to imposing a particular religious holiday on them,  while just hiding the religious part?

It contorts the reality of the matter. My own parents are Christian, so when I'm with them, I'll celebrate. Otherwise, even when in Canada, if I'm away from my parents, sinse neither I nor most of my friends are Christian, the chances that I'll celebrate it are slim.

Such a widespread celebration of Chrismas among non-christians just makes them appear like a bunch of non-thinking colonized minds.
四海之内皆兄弟
-孔子

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-1-6 19:12:25 |Display all floors
I think the world is getting smaller and smaller.
Who Am I ?
------------------------------------

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-1-6 23:04:57 |Display all floors

Cripes...

No Changbula, No Mengzhi, No Northwest, No Tongluren?

This must be a slow week...

Regardless - my two cents:

While people will debate the origins and the details of this holiday - the idea of a time that all the world shares a moment of peace and good will towards all is something that all the people of world can relate to and celebrate.

[ Last edited by tradervic at 2008-1-6 10:58 PM ]
China's Eccentric 'Uncle Laowai' from Chicago, IL

http://blog.chinadaily.com.cn/home.php?mod=space&uid=135031&do=blog&view=me&from=space

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-1-6 23:22:08 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked
Roach Exterminator

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-1-8 12:58:48 |Display all floors
The ridiculous perversion of Christmas into a shallow, mercantile holiday is even more apparent in Asia where they aren't ashamed to admit it's only for increasing sales.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-1-9 14:48:48 |Display all floors
Usually I will spend the Christmas day with friends, that 's a good time to be together.
:)

[ Last edited by joyceice at 2008-1-9 02:50 PM ]

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.