Author: listentome

more and more chinese celebrate Christmas [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2007-12-28 14:10:14 |Display all floors
our companions and me not agree on spend on a foreign festivals,that's not ours.we have our precious festivals !

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-12-28 15:11:53 |Display all floors
It is pity.My mother was ill so I had no time to celebrate the  Chrismas Eve.But I think it is unimportant thing .Only my mother is health I am happier than celebrate any festival.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-12-28 22:43:22 |Display all floors
It's very strange for me as a westerner seeing all the Christmas stuff up in China.  It's a bit empty and meaningless.  The Chinese don't understand the cultural, religious etc implications of Christmas.  What's the point in it, the way it's 'celebrated' here?

CNY is a big and exciting festival, why import Christmas too?  It's totally daft.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-12-28 23:27:24 |Display all floors

Reply #12 renegadedog9's post

True, they have their festivals and culture, as we have ours. Kind of a wasted exercise having xmas in China because of the meaning as we know it. In saying this, it's not a stupid festival to us, any more than CNY is to Chinese folks so that remark isn't/wasn't necessary!
I'm grateful to my employer letting me have a few days off though, that's always welcome! Happy, stupid New Year everyone!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-12-30 07:55:18 |Display all floors
If people are having fun, who cares?

The rest of you way over think this stuff and come off as stodgy besides.
"Justice prevails... evil justice."

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-12-30 13:59:59 |Display all floors
I for a Chinese national find it utterly ridiculous to hear the words "Merry Christmas" from my fellow Chinese friends/colleagues. For one thing, they hardly understand what Christmas entails. Embracing something you know little about smacks of stupidity and ignorance.

Yet, I cringe at the words of "Merry Christmas" even more for what it entails. The Judaea -Christian god is certainly a figment of imagination from people of the past, and a not a pleasant one. According to Richard Dawkins, "The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully..."

For any one to celebrate the birth of this nasty figure, they are either perverse or seriously uninformed.

Religion encourages one to believe in the absence of evidence. I detest anything associated with it. Hence my distain for Christmas and anyone who claims to observe this ridiculous holiday.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-12-30 15:33:37 |Display all floors
Christmas is really just an amalgamation of various pagan holidays with a Christian label stamped on it so it would be easier to convert people to Catholicism. At least Hannukah's celebrating something less manufactured.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.