Author: tradervic

China Threatens to Sue German Muesum over Fake Terracotta Warriors [Copy link] 中文

Gold Medal

Post time 2007-12-15 19:53:06 |Display all floors
Originally posted by interesting at 2007-12-15 19:35
Satsu,

So it wasn't the Center that was the source of fraudulent information? They seem to be waffling in their statements to the press, indicating that they defrauded the museum.

I did send you a PM with the original text about this fraud case.(unfortunately only in German language).

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-12-15 20:54:34 |Display all floors
Originally posted by satsu_jin at 2007-12-15 20:24
The 'Voelkerkunde Museum' in Hamburg displayed fake terracotta warriors and misled the public to believe that these are originals. ...

Reports here on various media indicate that the museum which displayed these artefacts got them from another party who described the reproductions not as "original" but "authentic" (as in authentic reproductions, life sized, same colour/texture etc)

Whatever the case, the reaction seems a little over the top.

I am a bit concerned about my two foot high reproduction warrior given to me as a gift, I call him "Terry" (Terry Cotter, get it ?)

"Bunnings Warehouse" garden centres all over Australia are full of these little Chinese made garden statues, we're all gonna be sued !
"他不是救星, 他是一个非常淘气男孩" - Monty Python

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-12-16 00:20:58 |Display all floors
Originally posted by emucentral at 12/15/2007 02:13 AM

It's all to "get even" with Germany over their officials meeting with the DL.

Basically it's just childish behaviour.

Nope... more like the folks in China want the real tour to make the maximum amount of money and/or cultural impact - and not to have counterfeit pieces/propaganda interfere with this.
China's Eccentric 'Uncle Laowai' from Chicago, IL

http://blog.chinadaily.com.cn/home.php?mod=space&uid=135031&do=blog&view=me&from=space

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-12-16 00:57:10 |Display all floors
Satsu,

An interesting difference between the two articles; if I'm doing well enough, then the English article misses the subtle point that it's not decided who would be the target of the lawsuit. Of course, I'm not really sure what they'd sue over; there aren't copyright issues with antiquities so the only issues would arise from the use of materials or the name of the institution that actually holds the statues.
"Justice prevails... evil justice."

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-12-17 11:47:08 |Display all floors

Original vs. Authentic

Originally posted by emucentral at 2007-12-15 20:54

Reports here on various media indicate that the museum which displayed these artefacts got them from another party who described the reproductions not as "original" but "authenti ...

Does that mean that all the DVD's and technology that Chinese businessmen have copied all these years is justified.  Afterall, I'm sure they will claim that the technology/material is only 'authentic' and not 'original'.

I remember reading that Changabullsh!tter wrote here before, that nothing really 'new' has been invented by the west in the last few decades, so how can it be called stealing?

Am I the only one here who sees the irony involved in this situation?  The Chinese government crowing about IPR laws and threatening to sue because someone copied their material?

As a business man, who has lived and done business in China for the last 20 years once told me about Chinese JV partners, their  M.O. has always been clear.

"They want three things. First, they want your money.  Second, they want your technology. And third, they want you to get the f#ck outta here!."

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-12-17 19:59:35 |Display all floors
Originally posted by boring at 2007-12-17 11:47

Does that mean that all the DVD's and technology that Chinese businessmen have copied all these years is justified.  

Oh, the irony!

"They want three things. First, they want your money.  Second, they want your technology. And third, they want you to get the f#ck outta here!."

I couldn't agree more with this.  And you'd think the West would wisen up.  We could definitely skip the first and second steps and listen to the 3rd step.
Individuality: Always Remember That You Are Unique.  Just Like Everybody Else.

Use magic tools Report

Gold Medal

Post time 2007-12-17 20:52:12 |Display all floors
Originally posted by boring at 2007-12-17 11:47

Does that mean that all the DVD's and technology that Chinese businessmen have copied all these years is justified.  Afterall, I'm sure they will claim that the technology/material is only 'aut ...

I don't agree. There are hundreds of JV's that work very well, JV's where the Chinese asked their foreign partners to extend it again and again. In the end a JV has the ultimate aim to enable the Chinese partner to run the business without foreign assistance. What's wrong with this?

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.