Author: usatochina

Another dissatisfied American [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2007-12-8 12:50:57 |Display all floors

to #33

The poster would be told he was off his rocker and "not a true Chinese." Definitely. Plus possibly something about shaming his ancestors.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-12-8 14:01:39 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked
Roach Exterminator

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-12-9 07:06:45 |Display all floors
ZG,

Well, that's the problem: he's stating his "simple thoughts". The Americans here do not expect non-Americans to much understand; we live with people that talk this way and we know that most of them are under 20 years old. This is precisely how a good quarter of American teenagers and very few adults with the capability to make a successful move sound.

Adults who can make a successful move will usually say something along the lines of:

"I was born and raised in Montana and have lived the past one-and-a-half years in Beijing. During my tenure, I have been able to help the company I work with expand their product lines and move into new and exciting markets. While I worked in the US, that was impossible because everything always seemed to have been done or (worse) no one would listen; here people respect my opinion and I feel like I've been able to actively contribute."

That's essentially how a friend of mine talks about his move to India. Another example:

"I left my job teaching school in Austin to take a position teaching students in Guangdong who were preparing to leave for universities in the US or Europe. In the US, there are different expectations and few people appreciate your hard work as there is always some alternative that they can imagine. Here I am treated with more respect and feel like I've really made a difference in the lives of my students."

And so on in this sort of vein. People who really do move somewhere tend to talk this way, they rhapsodize rather than demonize. But when someone puts out a stock "I hate America" rant that you can get free in pamphlet form anywhere in the US as their reason, an American has two options: (1) he can consider the man an idiot (even if a jaded one), (2) he can conclude that the person is too young to have realized that such broad statements don't really hold much water.

They probably sound good to you, though, America-hating as you are.
"Justice prevails... evil justice."

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-12-9 11:13:33 |Display all floors
Originally posted by projeka at 8-12-2007 12:48
I wonder what the response would be from the resident U.S.-bashers if the name of this thread had been: Another dissatisfied Chinese ?

ROFLMAO - projeka you are so incredibly arrogant - we know many Chinese are not satisfied with their life in China and we know many Africans are not happy with their life in Africa and many French are not happy with their life in France and on and on ad nauseum - it is human nature and the engine that drives immigration.

Regardless of the political or economic reasons behingd the mindset.

Fact is the post was put up supposedly by a "disgruntled Amerikan" not a disgruntled Chinese - albeit it probably won't be long before we see a plethora of posts in that genre as the pretenders wake up.

I doubt the comments from the "US bashers" as you put it would be anything like the disgusting display posted by the Amerikan apologists. One thing is ultra clear here - the decorum of the Chinese and non US forumites is far more balanced and not in the style of the egotistical, young, naive, ignorant and arrogant US ilk................... your own posts are proof enough of this.....................   
Man created god before god created man and the world has been in turmoil ever since. Dots freak some people out - so they join them with lines that aren't really there.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-12-9 12:05:00 |Display all floors

I don't know how to say……

There always be something nice in your own country, we have our own tradition and lifestyle and so do u.
Maybe people can easily dream of  the life they don't have and born in a country they don't really understand.
If u wish u can see the cherish thing which u are already possessed besides the dissatisfaction.
It 's not so unbearable to live in one country u don't like if u find the precious thing surrounded u.
I don't know how to say……Whatever, have a good mood ^ ^  and enjoy the life u want.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-12-9 12:24:32 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked
Roach Exterminator

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-12-9 12:48:24 |Display all floors
Originally posted by zxjayumi at 9-12-2007 14:05
There always be something nice in your own country, we have our own tradition and lifestyle and so do u.
Maybe people can easily dream of  the life they don't have and born in a country they don't ...

Why limit yourself to a "country" - the whole world belongs to all of us and we should enjoy it in that way - sure various parts of it shine and others are dull grey - but we should all see it as a whole not as these politically defined chunks that politicians form armies in to claim it as their own.

We are citizens of the world and we should all enjoy every part of it in complete freedom.

Small minds keep us polarised into nations and broken into fragments that they can more easily control.
Man created god before god created man and the world has been in turmoil ever since. Dots freak some people out - so they join them with lines that aren't really there.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.