Views: 4505|Replies: 5

Topics for Colorful Domain English Club (BJ) on November 25, 2007 [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2007-11-21 22:44:02 |Display all floors
Topics for Colorful Domain English Club (BJ) on November 25, 2007

Topics for Colorful Domain English Club (BJ) on November 25, 2007
Colorful Domain English Club (Beijing)
E-mail: cdclub_bj@yahoo.com.cn
Since May 30, 2004
Time: 10.30am-12.30pm, November 25, 2007
Venue: Byone Western Restaurant 百万庄园西餐店(朝外联合大厦店)
(Highly appreciated if you could get there by 10:15 am)
How to get there:Take Loop Line of the Subway, get off at Chaoyangmen Station, and take Exit A, walk around the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MOFA) clockwise. The restaurant is right opposite to MOFA's southeastern entrance.

Host: Lillian
Prepared Speaker: Joyce
Group discussion topics:

Topic One:
Have you ever been forgotten your home town in this diversified city? Let us talk about our home town, the beauty of the scenery, the delicious food, the tradition of classic festival, the fun memory of our childhood, and the change of it whenever you return. Bring photos if you want.

Topic Two:
Do you think the e-reading can replace the paper reading some day? Which one do you prefer in your daily reading?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-11-21 23:51:40 |Display all floors

to Lillian

I like both of topics, dear Lillian. Maybe, I could join your discussion by exchanging cell phone messages.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-11-22 08:45:29 |Display all floors

How I wish you were there to evaluate my speech Hudson

Me too,I like both of the topics. Those are sweet and easy topics.I am sure we will have lots of things to share.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-11-22 09:17:51 |Display all floors
Got long time no see! How are you? All my dear friends!
I like the topics very much. Thanks Lilian! I will try to take part in this week's discussion. See you!

P.S. It seems that Hodson already  went abroad. Just enjoy a life in the beautiful country. All the best wishes to our dear Hudson!:)

Stephanie

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-11-22 19:08:16 |Display all floors

to JOYCE and STEPHANIE

I wish I could be there to evaluate your speech, and then you can evaluate my evaluation.  Is it a deal, Joyce? I'm dying for pleasing myself with your  breath-taking progress in public speaking, leadership and charisma. You're surely rewarded for your never-giving-up perseverance and looking-forward outlook.

Hi, Stephanie. Great changes! You've become a mom when you come back to the Club. Whatever occurs in our life, we keep walking ahead, with a dream, with a smile, and resultingly with a success one after another behind us.

I've got much more chances to use, study, and explore English here every day. All TV channels, main-stream newspaper, government documents are in English, most of the people can discuss with you in depth in English, some write very artistic articles in English. The Philippines are a very Americanized country, as some media people told me" Every Filipino wants to become American." I told them:" We, the Chinese, are different."

The longer I stay, the more I realize that it is wise for our Colorful Domain English Club to adhere to the never-westernizing-ourselves principle. The purpose we're learning English is to shoulder the duty as a messenger between two cultures, knowing more of the western world, and introducing our homeland to them. Although we've become much stronger, economically, than before, much of our accomplishments are unknown to the foreigners, esp.those who haven't visited China yet.  The Chinese in their eyes are still those climbing onto the bull in Wall Street, those in Chinese movies about rural life.  We can be in no way west-bound. We're keen learners, not only domestically, but internationally. We love languages because they are good tools for communication, learning, and exploration of cultures. As long as we become successful messengers, we get to be powerful, helpful and respectful. Otherwise, we pick up some English words, tips, and knowledge, but we'll lose our soul. That's the tragedy of Chinese English learners.

I always feel quite indebted to Alhaji and Victor, the former teaches me how to become a mature and patriotic man, and the latter helps me realize how beautiful our mother tongue is, and learning Chinese better is much more important than English.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-11-24 00:56:15 |Display all floors

to Hudson

You said it!
Hi, i'm Jo ~

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.