Author: lacaterina

How to judge the Chinese behaviors?? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2007-11-22 07:35:57 |Display all floors
Uh... I think it's great that they rode the bull... I'm an American and I did... I think it's only natural that people presume such a fun monument is a target for riding... I mean, seriously, come on.

Anyhow, being a bit boorish is part of what the bull is about anyhow:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charging_Bull

As you can see, it was surreptitiously installed by an artist and seized by the police! Only public outcry brought the bull back. Better boorish than bearish, I say.
"Justice prevails... evil justice."

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-11-22 08:06:32 |Display all floors

Reply #6 heyyou's post

Just show some respect when you travel to other countries.  You don't see foreign tourists in China riding statues of Mao do you?  Yeah, it'd be "fun," but it would be disrespectful to the locals, too.
Individuality: Always Remember That You Are Unique.  Just Like Everybody Else.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-11-22 08:30:17 |Display all floors
Projeka,

I think most of the problem is that a lot of Chinese people behave in a way that... hrmmmm... the only thing I know is a very condescending phrase that is Bostonian/British: they behave in a way that is consistent with their station. Most Chinese are poor and even the wealthier ones were poor a good bit of their lives. I've yet to see reports about Chinese misbehavior that I wouldn't also see about American provincials and "working class sorts". People just need to be on "best behavior" when traveling and the most important phrase to know is probably "pardon me" or "I'm sorry".
"Justice prevails... evil justice."

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-11-22 09:44:48 |Display all floors
I wouldn't consider getting a picture on the Bull rude or bad behavior (unless there is a sign not to)... if a person did it while drunk/partially clothed....then I would consider it bad behavior :).
-------------
Bad behavior to me are things like pushing people out of the way, being exceptionally loud in a restaurant or store, drunkedness, etc.

These are actions that any countries tourists or citizens might be guilty of though, not only Chinese tourists.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-11-22 11:34:52 |Display all floors
I think it to be a culture difference,chinese tourists think riding the bronze bull to be nothing ,however foreigners think it to be rude.
Maybe this tourist did something wrong ,but we can not come to a conclusion that all chinese tourists are rude,we know that a lot of chinese tourists going abroad obey the rules

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-11-22 13:41:55 |Display all floors
What i was trying to say is that, there should be a standard to judge this kind of behaviors. It should not be judged as rude or uncilvilized based on whether others do it or not.

Here is a picture showing that tourists from China and other nations do the same thing. What i puzzled is that sometimes people (including Chinese) have stereotype on the Chinese. What a sad thing.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-11-22 13:42:30 |Display all floors
Forgot the pic.....here it comes!
U1596P1T1D14360950F21DT20071122044848.jpg

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.