Author: beijingbabe

China: Great nation or Greatest nation? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2007-11-11 09:51:15 |Display all floors
Actually, Chang, the Chinese as a population have an average IQ of 100, underperforming a number of groups, particularly Ashkenazi Jews, Japanese and Koreans. They also underperform Germans, Austrians and other West European groups.
"Justice prevails... evil justice."

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-11-11 11:13:12 |Display all floors
Originally posted by changabula at 2007-11-9 19:59
China is simply the greatest nation on this planet!

It is made up of the most brilliant, creative and innovative people.

Put a Chinese student in any class on this planet and he will outperform everyone.

Man we are simply too clever and intelligent.

And obviously the most modest people in the world, too.   

Some questions for you... what makes China the greatest nation on this planet?  Why are its people the most brilliant and creative over everyone else?
Individuality: Always Remember That You Are Unique.  Just Like Everybody Else.

Use magic tools Report

Gold Medal

Post time 2007-11-11 12:59:42 |Display all floors
Originally posted by interesting at 2007-11-11 09:51
Actually, Chang, the Chinese as a population have an average IQ of 100, underperforming a number of groups, particularly Ashkenazi Jews, Japanese and Koreans. They also underperform Germans, Austri ...

Hmmm, I've my doubts about this statement. Just by chance today I stumbled over an Op-Ed by Prof. Peter Singer in the Japan Times:

Should we study race-intelligence links?

By PETER SINGER
PRINCETON, New Jersey — The intersection of genetics and intelligence is an intellectual minefield. Harvard's former President Larry Summers touched off one explosion in 2005 when he tentatively suggested a genetic explanation for the difficulty his university had in recruiting female professors in math and physics.

(He did not suggest that men are on average more gifted in these fields than women, but that there is some reason for believing that men are more likely than women to be found at both the upper and lower ends of the spectrum of abilities in these fields — and Harvard, of course, only appoints people at the uppermost end.)

Now one of the most eminent scientists of our time has blundered much more clumsily into the same minefield, with predictable results. In October, James Watson, who shared the 1962 Nobel Prize for his description of the structure of DNA, was in London to promote his memoir, "Avoid Boring People and Other Lessons From a Life in Science."

In an interview in the London Sunday Times, he was quoted as saying that he was gloomy about Africa's prospects because "All our social policies are based on the fact that their intelligence is the same as ours — whereas all the testing says not really." He added that he hoped everyone was equal, but that "people who have to deal with black employees find this is not true."

Watson tried to clarify his remarks in a subsequent interview in The Independent, saying: "The overwhelming desire of society today is to assume that equal powers of reason are a universal heritage of humanity. It may well be. But simply wanting this to be the case is not enough. This is not science. To question this is not to give in to racism."

Watson is right that questioning this assumption is not, in itself, racist. A racist has a negative attitude to people of a particular race. There is nothing racist about trying to learn what the facts are. What does raise the suspicion of racism, however, is propagating a negative view of the facts when that view lacks a solid scientific foundation. That is precisely what Watson has now admitted he did.

Returning to New York, he apologized to those who had drawn from his remarks the implication that African are somehow "genetically inferior." This was not, he claimed, what he meant, and more importantly, "there is no scientific basis for such a belief."

The retraction came too late. The Science Museum canceled a lecture Watson was to give about his book and his career. Under pressure from the board, Watson resigned his position as chancellor of Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory, an institution that under his leadership has become one of the world's leading research and educational institutions in the biological sciences. Rockefeller University also canceled a lecture that Watson had been scheduled to give.

Putting aside the claims that Watson made in his Sunday Times interview, a difficult question remains: Should scientists investigate the possibility of a link between race and intelligence?

Is the question too sensitive for science to explore? Is the danger of misuse of the results of such research too great?

The dangers are obvious enough. Racist stereotyping harms the prospects of many nonwhites, especially those of African descent. The concepts of intelligence and of race are less clear-cut than we often assume them to be.

Scientists need to handle them carefully if they are to pose meaningful questions about the point at which these two concepts intersect. Some say that the tools we use to measure intelligence — IQ tests — are themselves culturally biased.

The late Stephen J. Gould, author of "The Mismeasure of Man," dismissed cross-cultural research using IQ tests as an attempt by white men to show their superiority. But if that was so, the attempt has backfired, because East Asians tend to score better than people of European descent.

On the other hand, it clearly is possible that differences in IQ scores between people living in impoverished countries and people living in affluent countries are affected by factors like education and nutrition in early childhood. Controlling for these variables is difficult.

Yet to say that we should not carry out research in this area is equivalent to saying that we should reject open-minded investigation of the causes of inequalities in income, education and health between people of different racial or ethnic groups. When faced with such major social problems, a preference for ignorance over knowledge is difficult to defend.

In explaining why it was canceling Watson's lecture, the Science Museum said that his remarks had gone "beyond the point of acceptable debate." It then struck a reasonable balance by inviting people who want to learn more about "the science behind genetics and race" to attend other upcoming events at the museum. The speakers at these events will presumably have better credentials than Watson to discuss topics like race and intelligence. If so, one can only hope that watching how Watson blew himself up will not discourage them from venturing into the minefield.

Finally, no matter what the facts on race and intelligence turn out to be, they will not justify racial hatred, nor disrespect for people of a different race. Whether some are of higher or lower intelligence has nothing to do with that.

Peter Singer is professor of bioethics at Princeton University. His books include "practical Ethics," "pushing Time Away," "The Moral of the Story" and, most recently, "The Ethics of What We Eat." Copyright 2007 Project Syndicate (www.project-syndicate.org)

The link:

http://search.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-bin/eo20071111a1.html

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-11-11 13:07:15 |Display all floors
Originally posted by seneca at 2007-11-10 23:50
Changamullah's drinking problem is showing again...

I didn't know that

i thought his only problem was his sex orientation and mental problems

Damn, poor guy.

We should support him more :)

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-11-11 13:17:53 |Display all floors
Originally posted by changabula at 2007-11-9 19:59
China is simply the greatest nation on this planet!

It is made up of the most brilliant, creative and innovative people.

Put a Chinese student in any class on this planet and he will outperform everyone.

Man we are simply too clever and intelligent. ...

If your statement were true and following what u just say

You definetely are not chinese ( and i am glad)

Why you support chinese people if you are not chinese??

Are you really coming from Milky Way??

I met many chinese people here and abroad and many of them has many good qualities but

they are modest and normal people, not like you Chang, but i know you are still here more for fun, right?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-11-11 15:53:08 |Display all floors

IQ and What It Means

IQ tests are notoriously language and culture centric.  So if China truly has an average IQ of 100, it would be a miracle.  

Do you know what that means??

http://www.gnxp.com/MT2/archives/000828.html

With a population of 1.3 billion, and with 70% of the population being rural and have low experience with English, it would not surprise at all that the 70% would score much like our Indian friends, at about 80.  

Do you know what that means??  The 30% who are city dwelling, who thus number about 400,000,000 (bigger than any other nation save India), would have to have an average IQ of WHAT to bring the national average to 100?

And immigrants from China are largely from this city dwelling crowd.   Is there any wonder why they would perform well over the average whatever?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-11-11 17:36:07 |Display all floors

Keep the Kool

Dear Chang,

The frustration is showing my good friend . Be cool and calm man . These dumbed -downers are not worth the anger and anxiety .

Chinese are as intelligent as any other nationality , if not more . What differentiates us from the rest is our tenacity to knuckle down , focus and concentrate. The spartan nature of Chinese undergraduates to post graduates in their determination to succeed is well known. It sends shivers down the spines of their classmates. One of my classmates used to say " I would do anything to avoid having to compete against a Chinese '.

Our traditional modesty has been taken as weakness for too long . Ours is the generation for assertiveness ; not to bad a quality to borrow from the west . Be self confident , be better ( not just as good ) as them and stop hiding your light under the bush .

I can empathize with Chang in his attempt to pull his hair out , " debating " with these Bozos , perhaps some of the cream of the west . It is a no contest Chang my friend . Have a laugh . I am actually waiting for one of them to be able to debate me in Chinese.  Not likely . Smile and the world smiles with you : cry and you cry alone .

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.