Author: wchao37

The India-China conflict viewed through a Chinese kaleidoscope [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2004-3-7 03:15:37 |Display all floors

Anti-devil, sure thing

You mean "Monty Python and the Holy Grail"?

You hit it right on the head, Sir.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-3-7 03:25:43 |Display all floors

Different subject, have you read this wchao37 from Chairman Mao

" Nothing is hard in this world.... If you dare to scale the heights. " 1965 Chairman Mao .... REASCENDING CHINGKANGSHAN
" Nothing is hard in this world
If you dare to scale the heights. "

In Autumn 1928 Chairman Mao
wrote CHINGKANGSHAN

38 years later he wrote....

REASCENDING CHINGKANGSHAN

Author..... Chairman Mao..

May 1965

I have long aspired to reach for the clouds
And I again ascend Chingkangshan.
Coming from afar to view our old haunt,
I find new scenes replacing the old.
Everywhere orioles sing, swallows dart,
Streams babble
And the road mounts skyward.
Once Huangyangchieh is passed
No other perilous place calls for a glance.

Wind and thunder are stirring,
Flags and banners are flying
Wherever men live.
Thirty - eight years are fled
With a mere snap of the fingers.
We can clasp the moon in the Ninth Heaven
And seize turtles deep down in the Five seas:
We'll return amid triumphant song and laughter.
Nothing is hard in this world
If you dare to scale the heights.

...........................................................................................

Now....38 years later again it is 2003....

" Nothing is hard in this world
If you dare to scale the heights. "

............................................................................................

For China.....2003.....
..................................................................................................

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-3-7 15:53:27 |Display all floors

Comparing American and Chinese censorship of what you read

Friend:

I can't tell you what you should or shouldn't read.  That is really a non-question.

My reading list would definitely be very different from yours since you don't read Chinese and I do:  it includes literally everything under the Sun and believe me when I say I do read a lot from astronomy to zoology.  Personally I have benefited from a speed reading course I took many years ago.

You should read voraciously but think independently, and I know this is easier said than done.  

But think of it this way: reading books is like reading women --- the more beautiful women you get to know real well, the less sensitized you are to their beauty, and then you truly learn to size up their personalities at lightning speed.

In other words, after meeting and knowing truck-loads of them, your heart no longer races every time you see a damsel wearing a bikini.  All you have to do is to imagine them sitting on that dump in the morning and then you'd calm down.  It works every time.  No beta-blockers needed to slow your heart rate.

In a similar fashion, the more you read the faster you can tell who is telling the truth.  So it is not a matter of the kind of magazines you read, but how you read them.  

There's nothing wrong to read publications from Western sources.  But you have to be circumspect from the very start because your time is limited and reading habits are formed early in life.  

That's why the Big Three 'Patriotic' American magazines (US News and WR, Time and Newsweek) push their sales worldwide on all campuses at such a low price.  They want to monopolize your reading time early in your formative years.  China should do the same with her own patriotic publications.

There is nothing wrong about so-called censorship.  America does a form of absolute censorship by not encouraging her youths to know too much about foreign countries.  That's the subtlest and most effective form of censorship.  

For example, many U.S. high schoolers have a poor grasp of basic geography and do not know where Shanghai is in China, while their counterpart in China all know where New York is.  

The result is that Chinese youths know much more about America than vice versa.  And yet what you hear all the time is that China censors all the information coming from overseas, implying that the government is trying to put a lid on what people should know.

But this is pure nonsense.  Almost all Chinese kids have a good grasp of the basics including geography after nine years of compulsory education.  By graduation day, they would have been given the basic tools and wherewithal to extract information from any sources.  

Censorship only prevents them from being influenced by those aspects of mis- or dis-information that are confusing to them during their formative years.  Yet in the States such basics are glaringly lacking  -- many high school kids are simply not interested or equipped to understand foreign lands.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-3-7 16:10:53 |Display all floors

Yes, anti-devil

I do know this poem very well (in Chinese).

One of his best, I must say.  That's why I took it by heart and can still recite it.

Have you noticed that both Mao and Vajpayjee the Indian leader, are poets?

It takes vision and imagination to run huge nations.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-3-8 05:04:21 |Display all floors

I know why

wchao37 uses worms to bait fish, mice to feed Sahara snakes, and bikinis to get the attention of Americans -- each according to their favorite dish.

Get it?

Anti-devil is right about you.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-3-8 22:23:21 |Display all floors

Slimy molds are actually trying to attach to this post

Irrelevant posts should go somewhere else.

seneca:

You're right.

I shouldn't have said ALL youngsters.

I would say two standard deviations on the bell-shaped curve.  Some kids do flunk out of school and learn nothing while in school, no matter how comprehensive the curriculum is.

Thanks.

Use magic tools Report

crazyazn has been deleted
Post time 2004-3-8 23:11:34 |Display all floors

Slimy post!!!!

Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.