Author: wchao37

The India-China conflict viewed through a Chinese kaleidoscope [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2004-3-2 03:22:11 |Display all floors

Fine with me, I can read messages, fine with me.

All for one, one for all.
All for one China, one China for all.

Sorry, anti-devil.

ok.?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-3-2 03:50:56 |Display all floors

Yes, I can also read a bit. Fine with me.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-3-2 13:40:19 |Display all floors

seneca, you write very well, but you do have some ear wax

Obviously you are a good writer.  No doubt about that.

However, it would seem that you have more than a ball of wax in one ear.

And you did call me "wchoa" -- a Mexican nutcracker of sorts no doubt.

So you should go back, clean your glasses, spell my name right, and read the post a third time, because you still haven't grasped what was ACTUALLY said in the post, and therefore the conclusions you have drawn are way off the mark.

I am patient.  I believe my factual response to the hyperbole of Indian commentators is more than fair and does not carry any hint of haughtiness.  

You must have been listening with the ear carrying that ball of waxy cerumen.

Please try to read to yourself and listen with the good ear this time.

P.S. I personally have always had doubts about people who claim to know more than half a dozen languages.  Who's there to check their claims?

There was one who said she knew 27 languages.  All she could say was "Guten morgen" type of greetings.

This one about 140 languages?

Nah...not unless he has been babbling Greek from the time he stole the midwife's wedding ring at the time of his birth.

An interesting note I want to share with you:  did you know that there is proof that the ancestors of Eskimos were Chinese from Liaoning Province, China.  I heard about this in Dalien's "olar Exhibition Hall."

The word "Eskimo" breaks down to "E-s-kimo," right?

"E" here is pronounced as "Eye"

"s" is pronounced as "si"

"kimo" is pronounced as "jimo"

In Dongbei dialect, "Eye-si" means "I am" and "Jimo" was an ancient city in that area.

So "Eskimo" means "I am from Jimo" or "Wuo si Jimo ren."

Okay, please read the post a third time because the conclusions you have drawn are out of whack and I don't want to embarrass you.

See how fair I am to you?

Use magic tools Report

bossel has been deleted
Post time 2004-3-3 04:42:52 |Display all floors

Eskimo

Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-3-3 18:21:57 |Display all floors

Yes indeed, Bossel

That's just what was said at the Polar Exhibition Hall in Dalien.  I thought it was kind of amusing when it was presented.

Of course that's just hearsay evidence, but so is the allegation that the word stems from an American Indian word whose actual origin and meaning are doubtful at best.  Recently I saw a comment in a publication which alleged that Confucius was not Chinese and that he was born in Alaska, and the 'evidence' that was presented stated that Qufu (where the saint was born) sounded very much like an Inuit town in Alaska.  So that kind of pseudo-scientific inference goes on and on and on.

I have always been interested in tracing the origin of different ethnic groups though.

People we call Eskimos originally came from Asia across a land bridge called Beringia (now a strip of water called the Bering Sea).

These folks do not use the word "Eskimo" when speaking of themselves.

Instead they use a term that to them means simply "people." In Canada that word is "Inuit," while in Alaska Eskimos refer to themselves as "Inupiat" and "Yupik." The word "Yuit" is used in Siberia.  So you see even the word "Inuit" is not the only term used.

Here is a short description of Eskimo life in the four countries where they live:

Alaskan Eskimos form the bulk of the population.  It is estimated to be approximately 42,000. By the early 1900s, rifle hunting and trapping greatly reduced the number of game animals. They began to hunt reindeer which had been brought in from Siberia (not by Santa Claus).

Canada's Eskimo population is about 27,000. Their lives didn't change a lot until the 1950s. The fur trade declined, and the number of caribou decreased after rifle use increased.

In the Soviet Union at present there are approximately 2,000 Eskimos living on the northeast tip of Siberia. They produce reindeer hides, walrus tusks, and bone and soapstone carvings.

There are approximately 55,000 Eskimos living in Greenland, presently a province of Denmark.  A change in the climate had warmed coastal waters, which drove seals north and affected their livelihood.  There are government programs for job retraining. The Eskimos who live in northern Greenland still follow the traditional life even as of today.

All in all, the influence of Europeans rather than the harsh environment has been much more challenging to their endurance.

Use magic tools Report

bossel has been deleted
Post time 2004-3-4 11:29:52 |Display all floors

Wchao, I see you did your homework...

Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-3-4 13:22:44 |Display all floors

hello bossel, good for you, I see you are an anthropology buff

China's civilization is way over 7000 years old.

If your go to the old capital of Xian today there is a Panpo Museum in which the relics are more than 7000 years old.  Other areas of China also has seen similarly dated material.  The only reason why we usually talk about China having 5000 years history is because we are talking about recorded history.

Non-recorded history in the form of legends passed down the generations dated back much further.  Yet it is still history because you can dig up pottery, ceramics, earthenware, stone and bone artifacts which show that some type of human activity indicative of civilization has occurred in the area.  The hallmarks of civilization include the presence of cities and some form of writing, and there are even more ancient sites in China which satisfy these criteria.

China as a unified country started in 221 B.C. under the Qin emperor.  So of course the Eskimos are not citizens of the Chinese nation.  However, all evidence points to their origin as being from Northern Asia.  Your references seem to support the Dalien allegation that Dongbei was where the Eskimos started their journey to Alaska and beyond at a time when Beringia was intact.

No I did not do sufficient homework on this issue.  I still had some notes from an anthropology course I took in continuing education.  I'll try to do more next time.

Thanks for the information you provided.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.