Views: 6126|Replies: 20

Japanese PM resigns [Copy link] 中文

Gold Medal

Post time 2007-9-12 13:03:28 |Display all floors
BREAKING NEWS
PM Abe tenders resignation

Prime Minister Shinzo Abe announces his resignation to take responsibility for causing political confusion. The Liberal Democratic Party tells main opposition Democratic Party of Japan that Abe will not attend Wednesday's session of parliament

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-9-12 13:17:32 |Display all floors

he resigned, finally

Japan's prime minister says he'll resign

Associated Press  

TOKYO - Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe announced Wednesday he will resign, ending a year-old government that has suffered a string of damaging scandals and a humiliating electoral defeat.

Abe, whose support rating has fallen to 30 percent, cited the ruling party's defeat in July 29 elections for the upper house of parliament, and said he had instructed party leaders to immediately search for a new premier.

"In the present situation it is difficult to push ahead with effective policies that win the support and trust of the public," Abe said in a nationally televised news conference. "I have decided that we need a change in this situation."

Abe, 52, a nationalist who entered office as Japan's youngest postwar premier, did not announce a date for his departure from office.

Word of Abe's resignation comes after his scandal-scarred government lost control of the upper house of parliament to the resurgent opposition. The LDP still controls the more powerful lower house, which chooses the prime minister.

Abe's resignation marks a rapid fall from power for a prime minister who came into office a year ago with ambitious plans to repair frayed relations with Asian neighbors, revise the 1947 pacifist constitution, and bolster Japan's role in international diplomatic and military affairs.

The prime minister, whose grandfather was premier and whose father was a foreign minister, initially met with success in fence-mending trips last autumn to China and South Korea.

But a string of scandals starting late last year quickly eroded support for Abe. Four Cabinet minister were forced to resign over the past nine months, and one — his first agriculture minister — committed suicide over a money scandal.

Abe also was facing a battle in parliament over extension of the country's refueling mission in support of the U.S.-led operation in Afghanistan.

Abe had said he would quit if he failed to win parliamentary passage of legislation extending the Afghan mission, in which Japanese ships refuel coalition vessels in the Indian Ocean.

"I have pondered how Japan should continue its fight against terrorism," Abe said Wednesday. "I now believe we need change. So Japan must continue its fight against terrorism under a new prime minister."

The plenary session of the lower house was to be delayed, media reports said, but an official of the lower house said she could not confirm that.

Opposition lawmakers said it was about time Abe resigned.

"It is irresponsible for him (to quit) after he gave a policy speech and was to face parliament questioning. He should have quit right after the upper house elections," Mizuho Fukushima, head of the opposition Social Democratic Party, told NHK.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-9-12 14:59:53 |Display all floors

A shame

Originally posted by chinadaily at 2007-9-12 13:17
Japan's prime minister says he'll resign

Associated Press  

TOKYO - Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe announced Wednesday he will resign, ending a year-old government that has suffered a  ...

I’m sorry to see him go. I was quite impressed when he came to power and immediately set about trying to build relations with Japan’s neighbours. His attempts seem to be working. Even in the China Daily I noticed a strong change in coverage with a few testimonials from “ordinary” Chinese people stressing the benefits of good relations with Japan.

Sadly, I think trying to build relations with China put him offside with America. Maybe the timing was a co-incidence, but when I saw America raising the issue of “comfort women” I got suspicious of American intentions. Although the Japanese could accept Asian countries raising the issue, America raising it was always going to be provocative.

I know that it wasn’t comfort women that brought him down, but it helped portray him as a PM under siege and created an environment where people were looking for scandals to bring him down.

Maybe another Koizumi will be on the way.
The eunuch should not take pride in his chastity

Use magic tools Report

Gold Medal

Post time 2007-9-12 15:43:26 |Display all floors
Originally posted by tikoli at 2007-9-12 14:59

I’m sorry to see him go. I was quite impressed when he came to power and immediately set about trying to build relations with Japan’s neighbours. His attempts seem to be working. Even in the  ...

Tikoli,

Abe was brought down by the Upper House election defeat and his inability to nominate trustworthy people as ministers.Over the last couple of months 5 ministers had to leave office because they were involved either in tax - or bribery scandals. In addition the Japanese National pension scheme is in disarray because misteriously millions of social insurance files disappeared because of mismanagement of former LDP governments. People really seem to be fat up with the LDP and Abe had to face the heat.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-9-12 15:56:30 |Display all floors

say goodbye to him

goodbye
abe.jpg

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-9-12 21:24:05 |Display all floors
Originally posted by satsu_jin at 2007-9-12 15:43

Tikoli,

Abe was brought down by the Upper House election defeat and his inability to nominate trustworthy people as ministers.Over the last couple of months 5 ministers had to leave office ...

Japanese politicians are quite widely recognised as being the most corrupt in the developed world. The problem is that the average Japanese person is very honest, has no interest in politics, and even if they see a problem, they tend to look the other way. As the average Japanese person takes little time to scrutinize their leaders, very honest Japanese get into power, find themselves unscrutinised and become very dishonest.

As long as the Japanese politicians are able to maintain national pride, and keep the economy ticking along, most Japanese will keep their focus on Hello Kitty, and other genki things.

My guess is that Abe has failed to maintain national pride so the corruption, that is has long been a feature of Japanese politics, has been used as an excuse to bring him down. Admittedly, I am not in Japan now so I don’t know what the general thinking is, but obviously Abe’s work in mending relations with China hasn’t been enough to prevent the corruption charge used against him, or persuade the average Japanese person to keep their focus on being genki, or at least look the other way.
The eunuch should not take pride in his chastity

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-9-13 00:36:29 |Display all floors

Hm...

Corrupt Party officials?  Questions about use of funds?  General Apathy from the Public?!

Sounds like a typical day on planet Earth.
China's Eccentric 'Uncle Laowai' from Chicago, IL

http://blog.chinadaily.com.cn/home.php?mod=space&uid=135031&do=blog&view=me&from=space

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.