Author: whiteeclipse

Would India still have the roads and railways today without the British rule? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2007-9-7 09:19:51 |Display all floors
Originally posted by schreiber at 2007-9-7 06:46
Tikoli,

This is a sentiment that I see often and hate deeply; we would not think to judge the truth of a statement relative to the scientific knowledge of the time and it is only popular misunde ...

This is a comment that I like:

"How clearly does the behaviour of that unlearned heathen prove that shame is an artificial sentiment resulting from education alone; and that different communities measure propriety, nay even right and wrong, by various standards established under the operation of dissimilar circumstances."

I see a moral standard as a solution to a problem, not an example of a superior way of being. Different societies have different problems therefore different morality. For me, I simply have an ideological prejudice in favour of change, and if a culture does not change then I am not very sympathetic to it.
The eunuch should not take pride in his chastity

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-9-7 09:44:32 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-9-7 11:11:29 |Display all floors
Originally posted by schreiber at 2007-9-7 09:44
Tikoli,

That's a rather sad view of morality and one which I suspect conflates morality and folkways. I'm inclined to ask whether you're up on your Kant or Parfit.

Some people do disagree with me. That’s why the 10 commandments were created, and justified with religious backing. However for me, the 10 commandments reflect the transition from nomadic to civilised society. The 10 commandments have no place in hunter gatherer societies other than to destroy them.
The eunuch should not take pride in his chastity

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.