Author: whiteeclipse

Would India still have the roads and railways today without the British rule? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2007-9-6 17:09:21 |Display all floors
Originally posted by whiteeclipse at 2007-9-5 08:09
Would India still have the roads and railways today without the British rule?

What do you guys think?

Amitav Ghosh author of several books, The Circle of Reason (1986), won France's top literary award, Prix Medici Estranger, and The Glass Palace also makes fun of the claim that the British gave India the railways.

"Thailand has railways and the British never colonized the country," he says. "In 1885, when the British invaded Burma, the Burmese king was already building railways and telegraphs. These are things Indians could have done themselves."

(source: Travelling through time - interview with Amitav Ghosh).
http://www.the-week.com/21sep02/life9.htm
I am Chinese and Proud of it!

Use magic tools Report

Gold Medal

Post time 2007-9-6 20:55:27 |Display all floors
Originally posted by changabula at 2007-9-6 17:09

Amitav Ghosh author of several books, The Circle of Reason (1986), won France's top literary award, Prix Medici Estranger, and The Glass Palace also makes fun of the clai ...

source: Travelling through time - interview with Amitav Ghosh).
http://www.the-week.com/21sep02/life9.htm  

This site cannot be found.

HTTP Error 404 - File or directory not found.
Internet Information Services (IIS)

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-9-6 21:30:51 |Display all floors

Change is good

Originally posted by schreiber at 2007-9-6 14:52
Tikoli,

The issue here is that, where I am pointing out that imperialism wasn't just some criminal enterprise with Victoria at the head of the world's most nefarious crime family, you are active ...

Personally, I try not to judge the past using present day values. So in regards to the opium wars, in those days, I think opium had the same kind of status as alcohol. In the future, alcohol and tobacco may be banned completely and future generations will be horrified that governments allowed them to be sold. Although that may be the case, I definitely enjoy my booze now and I am not bitter at the government.

The use of force is an interesting one, and again present day values shouldn’t be used on the past. In the past, one nation just invaded another. That was the way things were done. What I admire about England is that they had this idea to build something, which was quite different from the other colonisers. Likewise, they also allowed conquered citizens the right to be British.

Then I also question whether there were alternatives to war. Take America when this Perry fella sailed into Japan and said open your ports or we will invade. There was no other alternative to using the threat of force - definitely no public relations industry where you could influence a government and the samurai in a less disruptive way.

An alternative to colonialism would have been for countries to have just minded their own business and let other countries do their stuff as is now occurring to an extent in Africa. If the colonisers had done that, maybe Japan would still have the samurai, and China would still have the emperors.

Today, the same question still lingers. While countries are less likely to invade with guns, they still try to influence the internal affairs of other countries. Even expressing an opinion on Tibet and Taiwan is interference in some ways. Likewise, Chinese investment in Africa is being seen as a form of interference by some.

Overall, I’ve got an ideological bias in favour of change. So whether colonisation occurs with words or an actual invasion, if it brings change to a region of stagnation, then I’d say I support it.
The eunuch should not take pride in his chastity

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-9-6 21:40:25 |Display all floors

Are you really Chinese

Changabula are you really Chinese. Your postings make it difficult to believe that you are a Chinese.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-9-6 23:11:22 |Display all floors
Originally posted by dannycool at 2007-9-6 21:40

Changabula are you really Chinese. Your postings make it difficult to believe that you are a Chinese.

Why is it because I show such brilliance?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-9-6 23:32:12 |Display all floors
Wrong, village idiot!

Originally posted by tikoli at 2007-9-6 21:30
If the colonisers had done that, maybe Japan would still have the samurai, and China would still have the emperors.

Both India and China nations would have made tremendous progress and ALL of mankind would be about 500 years ahead of what we are now.

Instead both these two great nations have had to start from scratch.

Its miraculous that they have made such incredible strides for the last few decades.
However,  no thanks to the white man who is still trying to keep China back economically.
At least the fantastic President Hu and the Chinese leadership are managing to keep the village idiots in Washington and the UK at bay by trying to appease them with their trade complaints.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-9-7 06:46:45 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.