Author: sunny2005liu

A past-'80 generation girl's diary [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2007-9-5 19:30:56 |Display all floors
Sunny, your writing is really good...   Your imagery is beautiful.  Reading your grapery post gave me such a sense of nostalgia...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-9-5 22:26:06 |Display all floors
congralution, but from now on, you must have return loan and became a house slave!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-9-6 09:36:37 |Display all floors
sunny2005liu, Dafu Yu's poetic prose makes us proud of our mother tongue, Chinese,  one of the most beautiful languages in the world. Having said that, I don't mean to downplay other languages in general and English in particular as we are putting our thoughts into English words in this  English study forum.

What do languages have in common? This question sounds too general to come up with a solid answer for us. I would like to narrow it down a little bit and ask, what is the common ground of different cultures and customs? Hmmm, it seems to me that this kind of question  belongs to scholars who are searching for a philosophical definition.

Let's look at it from another vintage  point of view which leads to a question, how do we interact with our day-to-day surroundings with our fives senses? How do we express our look and feel in words? Once we are able to describe those basic things, we will ask ourselves again, how do we understand and express the abstract concepts such as love, time, mind, in terms of our daily experience?

One way to look for the answers is to start from the examples. Let's look at an example, when "run" reaches our ears or eyes,  we come up with the scenes related to "run", automatically and unconsciously, e.g. A thief was running away. A car is running. It is safe to say that we feel this word, "run", deeply and profoundly without any rational explanation.

With these vivid images of "running", we can understand and describe other more complicated activities and concepts in terms of our experience of running. E.g.

She is running for the president.  
- Here, a presidential campaign is a long distant race, and the position of the president is the final destination.

The road is running up and down through the mountainous areas.
- A form and a line ( a road) is a moving object.

She was running  her eyes over everything in her boyfriend's apartment.
- Seeing is touching.

In short, what makes Dafu Yu's essay stand out is that many sentences were written metaphorically and figuratively in Chinese. By the same token, an essay written in other languages can be as beautiful and vivid as his. e.g.

Friends, Romans, countrymen, lend me your ear.
- Quoted from Shakespeare's play, Julius Caesar, as Antony making a speech, in which Shakespeare stretched a common phrase, "lend me a hand", a bit further.

Hmmm, I had better shut up now and hope those examples drop a few hints for answering those general questions. BTW, your "Grapery in my dream" is good.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-9-6 17:30:48 |Display all floors
Nowadays,people have learned more and more about the bad impact on body of chemical products,such as food and cosmetics etc.many facts and theory prove this.New trend of natural lifestyle is advocated by more and more peoples.
Being a young girl,I once paid lots of money for facial beauty,the effect is limited.My money!Any simply but effect way? It must be.I once heard of many natural recipes for facial beauty,such as cucumber lemon egg milk honey pearl powder etc.They seem nice,at least theyare harmless even if ineffective.So it’s time for me to adopt natural lifestyle too!
I search many DIY mask from internet.I expect to have good effect after a long time.The key is persistence.
I feel some fever and headache now,no thermometer.When I was young if I was sick, mother wouldclinged her forehead to feel if I have fever,so concerned,so worried,so warm.How I miss the feeling!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-9-6 18:29:49 |Display all floors
I can't correct my post,there are some mistakes.
friends,if you find any mistake in my post,pls tell me. Your kindness will be highly appreicated.
To Changzhou007 You're right,Chinese is profound and charming. If I could have a wonderful writting.

I can't help to guess your occupation, as you mark location as floating world, and you have wonderful understanding about English. You should be interpreter or trader,am I right?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-9-6 18:38:06 |Display all floors
To kristint

Sincere thanks for your reading and encouragement !
All this are my momentum for going on.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-9-6 18:40:39 |Display all floors
To ljksbs
Yes,I become a housing slave now, but, pain and happy.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.