Views: 9269|Replies: 30

DO WE REALLY CARE FOR OTHERS IN CHINA? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2007-7-6 15:52:21 |Display all floors
I know the title of my post is going to attract many inflamable answers. I wouldn't want this post to become one more fighting ring. I was thinking in joining an NGO in China to volunteer. Never matter which or for what, this is not so important. Since I couldn't make up my mind, I decided to ask one of my colleagues here in China what did she think about it (the reason I chose her is because she is Chinese and she is normally talking a lot about social issues during lunch time in the company).

I sent her the following question thru MSN (in bold letters) and follows what she answered to me:

I have a question for you.....Have you ever cooperated with and NGO or thought about doing it?

i see, that's a similar organization we called here as "volunteer organization'

i have ever dreamed of helping the others like a NGO member.

in China, people are family-oriental. in other words, Chinese people emphasize the well being of his own family more than the others outside the family.

if you learn more about Chinese history, you will have a better understanding of Chinese. Chinese are not selfish with his family members, but they maybe selfish and don't take cares other’s needs in public.

Her answer didn't suprise me for the answer "per se", because I know all too well how much Chinese care about the family, but the suprise came because she seemed to me like a very socially compromised person.

Now if this sort of answer comes from a person who declares that she cares quite a lot for others: What do common people think?

I repeat this is not meant to be a criticism nor a pin pointing exercise against China or the Chinese; those who know me well, know that I am very happy in China and that I have no intention whatsoever to leave in the short term. But how does this, apparently, general attitude relate to the Central Government's will to build a socially harmonious society?

I would like to hear opinions from all of you who really care about our future and the future of our children. Thanks.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-7-6 16:09:26 |Display all floors
Originally posted by longzhou at 2007-7-6 15:52
I know the title of my post is going to attract many inflamable answers. I wouldn't want this post to become one more fighting ring. I was thinking in joining an NGO in China to volunteer. Never ma ...

i read some answers in/by chinese wise - one can care(manage) for the family, one can care for the country...............

btw, pls choose the right NGO
What's on your mind now........ooooooooooooooo la la....Kind Regards

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-7-6 17:02:40 |Display all floors
Originally posted by longzhou at 2007-7-6 15:52
I know the title of my post is going to attract many inflamable answers. I wouldn't want this post to become one more fighting ring. I was thinking in joining an NGO in China to volunteer. Never ma ...

I think the answer is YES,
see China has set up so many PROJECTS and donation organizations...:)
China is a big population developing country which would getting  better and better,even things take longer step to go,but I am positive...:)
***always to be yourself***

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-7-6 17:06:17 |Display all floors
I've seen many movie stars who play major part in social activities..
Like Jacky chen,Li lian Jie,,.:)
***always to be yourself***

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-7-6 17:31:06 |Display all floors

thanks guys for the answers.......

Yes SHelley you are right. At Government levels I am aware that a big effort (not only in money) is being put to narrow the social gap in China.

I also know about a few celebrities who actively participate in social activities and helping the needy.

My question was more directed to a "ground" level. Are all these actions making an effect on the general public? Are people more aware now than they were, let's say, 10 years ago?

Caring, you are right, choosing the right NGO is important. Since I have already volunteered in China in the past, I think I would rather choose one that deals with environmental issues or children. These are two issues I feel specially sensible about.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-7-6 17:50:06 |Display all floors
yes, really, we care, but not enough.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-7-6 18:02:14 |Display all floors
Originally posted by longzhou at 2007-7-6 17:31
Yes SHelley you are right. At Government levels I am aware that a big effort (not only in money) is being put to narrow the social gap in China.

I also know about a few celebrities who actively  ...

the two topics you chose is really good........

the other is to help people in problems.........like charity,aids
What's on your mind now........ooooooooooooooo la la....Kind Regards

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.