Author: fiberdude

'One country, two systems' guarantees HK prosperity [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2007-7-2 00:32:09 |Display all floors
Originally posted by zglobal at 1-7-2007 14:48
Yes, I can see that you would think that British descendants half a world away should own an island of the coast of Argentina.

You're using that word "should" again. "Should" Russia have occupied land that was once Chinese? "Should" Russia have effectively said to China "you can recognise our control of it, or you can go sulk in a corner"?

It's not about what I think, but what the current situation is. The current situation is that the population of the islands want to remain British. Nothing our government can do to change that.

Besides, Argentinians are themselves mostly the descendants of Spanish and other European immigrants. So the argument over distance, origin, etc doesn't wash.

Here's another thought. Under your logic, your ancestors "should" never have gone to Australia - which would have meant you'd never been born.

With the government in place at the time in Argentina, I think the British were right, now they are wrong.

As nasty a guy as Galtieri was, Argentina has the same territorial rights now as it did then.
"People are the water, the ruler is the boat; water can carry the boat, but it can also capsize it."

-- Li Shimin (2nd Tang Emperor, "Taizong")

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-7-2 00:37:06 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked
Roach Exterminator

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-7-2 01:10:48 |Display all floors

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-7-2 02:07:33 |Display all floors
Originally posted by zglobal at 1-7-2007 16:37
Sorry. I was born in Bangladesh to English parents. So I'd still be here.

So are you Australian or English?

I remember you mentioned that you spent time on the streets after dropping out of school - did they kick you out of the house or something?

And so, HK is a done deal

As ever, I don't see anyone saying HK should return to British control.

As schreiber says a "done deal" is a rather daft term to use. Again, one could cite the Russian occupation of the Chinese Far East a "done deal".

It's about looking at what the situation is and what is the most logical and realistic way of resolving matters. So in the case of the Falklands, it's daft to expect the British government to turn control of the islands over to the Argies against the islanders' will, but it's possible to share resources with them.

[ Last edited by mencius at 2007-7-1 06:31 PM ]
"People are the water, the ruler is the boat; water can carry the boat, but it can also capsize it."

-- Li Shimin (2nd Tang Emperor, "Taizong")

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-7-2 09:58:54 |Display all floors
Roach Exterminator

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-7-2 13:10:07 |Display all floors

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-7-2 14:17:13 |Display all floors
Roach Exterminator

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.