Views: 1570|Replies: 2

ARE CHINA DAILY'S STADISTICS RELIABLE? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2007-6-28 10:55:48 |Display all floors
I raise the question with no bad intentions whatsoever. It is only out of curiosity to ask CD if they really check what they post......

Sometime back I recommended my fellow forumites reading the book "Freakonomics" (Steven D. Levitt,Stephen J. Dubner or visit their web www.freakonomics.com) to see how the way certain stadistics are presented pose a possible misunderstanding of the facts.

We all know, I asume, that in the CD Forum if you click on the avatar of any forumite some facts about that forumite will be highlighted. Between them the number of posts the total time spent "in" the forum and the hours of the current month.

A random search on our co-forumite member, and good friend of mine "caringhk" (thanks for all the herbs recipes!) shows that during the current month he has been online a total of 1092,25 hours! Now a simple mathematic calculation will tell you that those hours are exactly 45,5 days!

So I jump to the following conclusion. Either CD is calculating wrong (coul it be minutes?) or CD wants to establish a new calendar (sort of the Napoleonic system).

Whatever it comes to, may be, just may be, I am too picky with these things, but I think it is worth a check.

Cheers and enjoy your day, whether it has 24 or 42 hours!

[ Last edited by longzhou at 2007-6-28 10:58 AM ]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-6-28 13:35:10 |Display all floors
Originally posted by longzhou at 2007-6-28 10:55
I raise the question with no bad intentions whatsoever. It is only out of curiosity to ask CD if they really check what they post......

Sometime back I recommended my fellow forumites reading th ...

Thxs for the good question

it is statistics..............

the number for posts,credits is CORRECT........

The time is however WRONG as CD had an OLD CLOCK
What's on your mind now........ooooooooooooooo la la....Kind Regards

Use magic tools Report

Glod Medal

Post time 2011-11-4 09:57:21 |Display all floors
Time is On My Side
Never Let Anyone Outside The Family Know What You're Thinking.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.